Mystery solved.

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I know exactly what it's for and use it every single day, I just have no clue what it's called and no matter what combination of terms I search I come up empty.

This tool of sorts is for shining / buffing shoes and was purchased by my dad from the PX of FT Bliss TX in 1978, it works wonders to blend scuffs & cratches on my boots but as you can see 43 years have taken their toll and it's starting to deteriorate.

I would love to find out exactly what it's called, even If it's no longer made and available I can at least search EBAY in the hopes of finding another one.
The closest thing I can find is in the form of a brush or a round pad, not a long two handed thing like this.

I sure would appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction, and hopefully I'm not a complete idiot and just looking for the wrong thing.

Try Googling
buffing brush shoes.
or
shoe brush

I liked the looks of it, but I wasn't going to rob you of it. Though I'm surprised that someone else didn't.

If someone had I'd at least be happy to know what to search on Ebay, and would be happy to have brought a great tool that I love to someone else's attention.

We'll see how this things does on the Horween Chromexel leather of the Thorogood 1892 Tomahawk boots I've got arriving today.

If someone had I'd at least be happy to know what to search on Ebay, and would be happy to have brought a great tool that I love to someone else's attention.

We'll see how this things does on the Horween Chromexel leather of the Thorogood 1892 Tomahawk boots I've got arriving today.

By the sound of those boots I hope you let us see a photo of them. The shoe buffer looked like it might be nice to have. I might look for me one.

By the sound of those boots I hope you let us see a photo of them. The shoe buffer looked like it might be nice to have. I might look for me one.

Heres a stock photo, but I'll post a picture of my pair tomorrow ( it'll be too dark to get a picture when I get them)

Heres a stock photo, but I'll post a picture of my pair tomorrow ( it'll be too dark to get a picture when I get them)

Oh. I was thinking they were moccasin boots. I hope they are comfortable. I've never heard of those kind of boots.

Oh. I was thinking they were moccasin boots. I hope they are comfortable. I've never heard of those kind of boots.

I never thought of that, but I can see where the name Tomahawk would bring such a boot to mind.
Every boot in Weinbrenners " Thorogood 1892 " series are named after a town or city in Wisconsin, the names are not standard names for various boot types or anything.

These are just a simple very traditional plain toe boot, a very standard pattern of work boot before ww2 I guess.

Last edited:
Back