Nakago Bottle Opening Friction Folder

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
This ultralight EDC excels as a knife and bottle opener!

This versatile design is equally at home in the field, office, campsite, kitchen, boat or spacecraft. :)

It's very pocket friendly with a thick yet discreet deeply contoured clip. Watch/change pocket size!

This one has a hand filed patterned backspacer. All of the hardware is custom shaped, textured and matching including the pivot, screws and both stop pins!*Orange peel texture all around. feels great, looks and wears well. I even textured the opener interior and inside of the backspacer.

Materials Used

.125" Ti Blade with 72 RC Carbide Edge
.125" Ti Frames.16" Clip and full length backspacer
Customized AKS ss hardware and screws
Ti Stop and Indexing Pins

Weight - 2.5 ounces!
2.5" Blade
5.8" Total Length

Chisel Grind with 72 RC Tungsten Carbide Edge - True chisel geometry for aggressive cutting.

Carbide Edge - excels with abrasive materials such as cardboard, very aggressive with meat, seatbelt material, vegetables, cloth, cord, softer materials, rope, raw bone, paper, etc... These are easy to sharpen with most any setup, just raise a burr by sharpening the microbeveled side only (reverse of the carbide) then strop or hone the burr off The carbide will not wear off, flake, chip, etc and is an integral part of the knife.

USA shipping is included - International shipping is available

$295 at www.fairlyknives.com

Last edited:
$295 shipped! Check out the Instagram link in my sig below for a video... no account/sign in needed to see.

Thanks again guys!

I'm working on ten more right now, they will be $25O shipped in a stonewashed configuration.

Just placed my order. Super excited. As a bar manager who always carries a knife, this could not be more perfect for me.

Now if you could just find a way to pack some Olathe Sweet Corn with it...

Just placed my order. Super excited. As a bar manager who always carries a knife, this could not be more perfect for me.

Now if you could just find a way to pack some Olathe Sweet Corn with it...

Hi! Big thanks and I'm honored to see post number one here in the DFK forum!

That's great to hear, it should really get some use!

Olathe Sweet Corn! I know you have been in my area... talk about good stuff right! We buy all we can when it is in season.

Welcome DrGorilla. Glad to see a new guy. You did well to start with this blade. Some of us have been waiting for days, even a couple weeks to get one! 😉

Thanks guys.

I've been lurking here for years trying to pick up a an RF2 or Small Sage. I just got lucky on this one.

Daniel, yeah, I grew up near Rifle.

Daniel,
On the latest run of friction folders, what size is the pivot pin compared to the first two in the series? Is it just the screws that are smaller, or is the pin/bushing/barrel also smaller?

Thanks!

TR

Daniel,
On the latest run of friction folders, what size is the pivot pin compared to the first two in the series? Is it just the screws that are smaller, or is the pin/bushing/barrel also smaller?

Thanks!

TR

All of my recent knives including these and the RF2's utilize a 3/16" diameter pivot barrel. It's just the screws on the pivot with these that make them look smaller... but I like that on these they match the other screws and are all Ti.

I did make my first friction folders with a 1/4" pivot but I like he 3/16" better... more surface area for washers/design flexibility/pivot availability. Strength is a non issue as they are total overkill either way...

My knives are set up with very tight tolerances... for example the frames are so parallel on these that I can test assemble one with a 1/4" pivot hole in the blade and even with the 3/16" diameter pivot there is zero side to side blade play! :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the details, D. I just noticed the smaller screws (after the last round of staring at pictures), so I was wondering. Just geeking out on the details.

TR

Let me know when you're ready to take deposits for the lefty version :D

Back