Naked and Afraid...? What

33D2FE3B-1BE6-480A-BBF2-C86575C01119_zpseko7eyvd.jpg

I wouldn't take the BK9.

Hmm after seeing this I would... Still take my BK9 with zero hesitation.

Gransfors hunters axe

I have a Gransfors Forest Ax in front of me now....that would be an interesting/fun to work with an ax like that as your only cutting tool..I have only used mine on the rib cage of a caribou and did just as you would expect.

Then there is no knife that you would take then I guess. Since every brand and maker has knives that have been broken at one point or another. Unless they are brand, brand new to knife making run from anyone brand/maker that says otherwise. Not blaming any maker, company or even user because no one is perfect 100% or the time.

Heat treatment fluke aside, I don't like the BK9. Don't like the ramp. Don't like the swedge tip. Don't like the standard scale materials either. If I had to take a Becker, it'd be my 15. On a budget similar to a bk9? I'd take an Ontario SP-53.

From what I own? I'd take my Skookum Bushtool in 3V anywhere that wasn't mandatory machete country. In a thick jungle I'd take my ESEE Junglas.

I wouldn't take the BK9.
Whoever started batoning that piece of wood with any knife was sure uninformed on wood types and tree contruction. Looks like a locust with at least two distinct ring patterns. That stuff is extremely dense with a supper tight fiber pattern. I have split a lot of that stuff for firewood and a piece like that would give a 24 ton wood splitter some pause.

If they were paying -- it's the least they could do, there's no million-dollar prize at the end -- I'd take something big, expensive, and tough... a Jason Knight blade would work. Then I'd tap out, leaving with a nice knife, and none of the ticks, tapeworms and infections the 'winners' go home with after 21 days. I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to something like that, but I am impressed with how many people make it through.

Some of the locations seem a lot tougher than others... the swamp environments are pure hell, too wet and humid for fire, water everywhere, none of it drinkable, alligators, water moccasins, flesh-eating bacteria and fungae that thrive in the perpetual damp and rot. Nope. F*** that.

After watching a couple episodes of 'Alone', I'm starting to think the northern tip of Vancouver Island might be more difficult than any of the warmer, tropical and sub-tropical climates from 'Naked and Afraid'. North America doesn't have the variety of man-killers that Africa has, but the ones we do have are all hanging out together on Vancouver Island.

If I did intend to see it through, I'd still want a large knife, on the principle that a big knife can do small jobs, but a small knife can't do big jobs. Most of the teams who have gotten to the end have had a large blade with them -- a machete, kukri, or bowie.

Bowie-with-fuller.jpg

blade would you choose to go into the Wild with..? I think I wood take a Fiddleback machete 12"....

Hot, humid, overgrown jungle - monsoon season or not?

In the North Woods year round?

On a warm island year round?

Most likely I would be in the North Woods so I would take my Estwing camp axe.

Hopefully, I would have a emergency/survival bag with me, my fanny pack ON my body HOLDING a Buck FB knife (Ranger skinner #113 or my Vanguard.) inside of it or my husband's TOPS Cougar Claw FB knife and have some clothes so I would not be naked too.

Cate
PS: I would want to have a rifle with me too. Woods/wilderness protection.

.......After watching a couple episodes of 'Alone', I'm starting to think the northern tip of Vancouver Island might be more difficult than any of the warmer, tropical and sub-tropical climates from 'Naked and Afraid'. North America doesn't have the variety of man-killers that Africa has, but the ones we do have are all hanging out together on Vancouver Island.......

Eh, I think most of those guys tap out due to fear of animals. A small pack of good ol' Black Cat firecrackers in the pack can do wonders for that.

From what I've seen, the main factor about the situation there is dampness. Bad news for the fire-disadvantaged. These people are pretty far removed from nature to begin with...

I think this would be my choice for a single knife.

IMG_3126.jpg

CPM 3V steel, micarta handle, and a kydex sheath.
This knife is heavy enough to clear vegetation both thick and light and the edge comes close enough to the handle for finer cutting jobs.
Flat grind to a thin convex edge will give effortless cutting through many mediums, whether hide, meat, or vegetation.

I like to choose based off what I currently own on threads like this. I think I would take my S!K 5.1 in cpm 3V, although my junglas is tempting as well. The Survive! seems to have that all around feel and so far its been my "go to" in the short time I have had it!

I carried and loved my Kukri on Guam. However for jungle foliage and shelter building I really needed a thinner blade. A Carbon V Cold Steel 9" Kukri would be perfect. Not their soft Kukri machete.

I also have a 10" Ontario bowie machete that would be great

I wouldn't take the BK9.

That'll buff right out.

All kidding aside, this is an interesting question. The choice between a stock blade and something customized/modified would be tough.

I'd say an ESEE Junglas or possibly a BK5 Camp Magnum.

But either way, there's no doubt in my mind that I'd never make it 21 days in the conditions those people have to deal with. I'm fine sitting at home on my couch and watching them suffer the bugs, dehydration, starvation, cold, mental anguish, etc.

The Naked and Afraid XL 40 day challenge should be REALLY interesting to watch...

Eh, I think most of those guys tap out due to fear of animals. A small pack of good ol' Black Cat firecrackers in the pack can do wonders for that.

From what I've seen, the main factor about the situation there is dampness. Bad news for the fire-disadvantaged. These people are pretty far removed from nature to begin with...

Yeah, the first two guys to tap out on 'Alone' were obviously freaked out by the wildlife, and were in the most severe stages of gun-withdrawal. In the first case, I can't fault him for leaving; he had the bad luck to be dropped off less than a hundred metres from a mother bear and cubs, and had two bears outside his tent the first night -- arm's-length away, in total darkness, separated by just a thin piece of fabric, with only a knife for protection (maybe bear-spray[?])... F**k. That.

He might have been okay; the bears ran when he finally found his voice. But you can't predict a bear's behavior. One of the remaining 'contestants' tried to scare off a large adult crossing a channel in his direction, and it wasn't intimidated in the least. The second man to quit felt even more naked without his gun, and went to Jell-O when a few wolves started howling. I don't have as much sympathy in his case; a bear sticking its snout inside your tent in the dead of night is one thing, but you have to expect some howling wolves. He was apparently attacked by a German Shepherd once, but he should have been better prepared to hear some howling. 'The Grey' was an excellent film, but wolves don't attack people all that often. The attacks that have happened recently have mostly been wolf-coyote hybrids in eastern N.A., for some reason inclined to take on humans when neither wolves nor coyotes would dare. Cougars, on the other hand...

Sorry, I've gone off-topic. From 'Naked and Afraid' (and Stuck With Some Idiot for 21 Days), to 'Alone' (and Fully-Dressed in Wet, Freezing Clothes, Until Finally Becoming Cougar-Scat).

Then there is no knife that you would take then I guess. Since every brand and maker has knives that have been broken at one point or another. Unless they are brand, brand new to knife making run from anyone brand/maker that says otherwise. Not blaming any maker, company or even user because no one is perfect 100% or the time.

There are many brands that can be trusted not to break that easily. ESEE, Scrapyard, Swamprat, Busse, Custom CPM3V and Custom S7 knives, etc.

Back