Nalpak Pelican 1485 Knife Case

KAEDC

Gold Member
Got one of Nalpak Groups' custom Pelican Air 1485 knife cases recently, slapped a bunch of stickers on it, and man is it just a top rate brag box. 32 blade minimum capacity, a bit more if you just had folders in it and could double up some of the horizontal storage spaces (I think Nalpak says ~40 is the max). I love having both storage options (vertical/horizontal) in a single case, lets me carry a nice representation of my collection where ever I might want to. The foam is really high quality, dense and sturdy, much more so than the DIY pick and pluck. I'm not gonna give specs here, Nalpak's website can tell you all that (just Google it, Hint: If you see an Indian chain restaurant you picked the wrong Nalpak)

Honestly the only real downside to this case is the cost. It is a premium, top shelf case, and I defiantly paid for that, at just under $300 shipped. Given that it is protecting ~$13-15k in knives, I feel it was a "worth the cost" investment, but there are defiantly much cheaper alternatives that will get you 85%-90% parity. I am obviously one of the kind of people that would rather pay the premium, but I totally get were others are coming from, as I have several cheaper/smaller cases now lying around that worked great, but they don't "spark joy" like this one does (thank you Marie Kondo!?).

There's not a lot of feedback regarding this particular offering from Nalpak,, so I you have any questions for me please ask away, just don't ask for testing, there are plenty of YouTube videos testing pelican cases, I'm not going to mutilate a $300 case for no good reason(well like $170 for just a shell) even if the lifetime warranty might cover it.

Obligatory pics!
IMG_6509.JPG

IMG_6519 (1).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6510.jpg
    IMG_6510.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Very interesting -- thanks.
The specs say 20 on one side and six on the other.
How do you come up with 32 minimum, 40 max?

Very interesting -- thanks.
The specs say 20 on one side and six on the other.
How do you come up with 32 minimum, 40 max?

The right side is 2 stacked layers of 6 slots each, you can see the 2nd layer in the bottom picture. 20 vertical slots + 12 horizontal =32. The horizontal slots have a divider so you can potentially fit a maximum of 44 if you have 24 very small folders (under ~3" folded length).

Last edited:
I know Pelican has a good reputation, but I'm wondering how well that foam holds up over time, and also if it has any effect on the knives. I have a foam lined case for a pistol I own; it's OEM and has literally disintegrated after 20+ years, making quite a mess.

Do you anticipate this being a problem, or does Pelican say anything about this?

I know Pelican has a good reputation, but I'm wondering how well that foam holds up over time, and also if it has any effect on the knives. I have a foam lined case for a pistol I own; it's OEM and has literally disintegrated after 20+ years, making quite a mess.

Do you anticipate this being a problem, or does Pelican say anything about this?

Pelican doesn’t make the foam, Nalpak does. The OEM foam is open-cell, so is much less durable than the closed-cell foam the replacements are made out of.

1. You guys need to discover plastidip spray. Your foam will last for years of heavy use.

2. You guys need to visit Harbor Freight. That size case is under $30 with pluck and pull foam.
410HANl.jpg

This small case was $9 after coupon.

I believe nalpak now offer cheaper cases with there signature cut out foam. If im mistaken I apologize, but I thought I recently read that on ig.

You can also just buy the foam itself with the cutouts if you want to put them in a drawer instead.

Its better than the foam you get in the cheap cases. And plastidip isn't my favorite but I guess a good idea for the budget minded.

I believe nalpak now offer cheaper cases with there signature cut out foam. If im mistaken I apologize, but I thought I recently read that on ig.

You can also just buy the foam itself with the cutouts if you want to put them in a drawer instead.

Its better than the foam you get in the cheap cases. And plastidip isn't my favorite but I guess a good idea for the budget minded.

Even my pelicans have plastidip sprayed foam.

It's not a "budget minded" solution unless you like buying foam, it's a solution for those of us that actually use the cases in the field as opposed to staging a couple pics and losing them in a closet.

Pluck or cut foam, check fit, spray with plastidip, let dry.
It will give a clean durable finish that will last for years of use.

Pelican brand cases have outpriced themselves, like Snap On toolboxes.
Check out Apache cases at 1/10th the price.

It's not a "budget minded" solution unless you like buying foam, it's a solution for those of us that actually use the cases in the field as opposed to staging a couple pics and losing them in a closet.

The Bladeforums clone police are going to show up at your door soon.

Foam is by Nalpak and is much denser than the pick-n-pluck. Also I honestly don't expect 20 yrs of life out of any type of foam.

Foam is by Nalpak and is much denser than the pick-n-pluck. Also I honestly don't expect 20 yrs of life out of any type of foam.

Seriously. Plastidip over your foam.
Unless you have cat claws it will last with extremely hard use.

I am glad the HF cases work for you, they are very good at the price point. For me I'd rather save the 3-4lbs of weight the Air case gives me. Yes this case is expensive, I don't think I made any illusions about that, this is a premium case and it carries a premium cost. I'm ok with that. As far a durability goes, this case is a toybox, and I have no problems admitting that. It will travel to meet ups and such and that's about it. It isn't a range case or the like. I like you ideas for range cases and the like tho, but honestly crazy durability isn't isn't a concern for me, just reasonable.

I think they are doing the foam for some Apache models, they don’t sell the cases themselves. I think they are doing some of the Pelical Vault line cases with cut foam inserts via Massdrop, the price on those was pretty good I think.

Reactions: Mo2

In another part of my life I am a gun nut and I have friends that buy some real high dollar cases that cost as much or close to a gun lol
I have all Apache stuff and go all the same places and do all the same things the guys with 400 cases do

In another part of my life I am a gun nut and I have friends that buy some real high dollar cases that cost as much or close to a gun lol
I have all Apache stuff and go all the same places and do all the same things the guys with 400 cases do

Everyone spends money somehow lol. The Apache stuff is a great deal, but it’s not 100% parity to pelican. It is significantly better value, not trying to say otherwise.

Everyone spends money somehow lol. The Apache stuff is a great deal, but it’s not 100% parity to pelican. It is significantly better value, not trying to say otherwise.

Premium priced for sure.
Pelicans just don't meet their own price point.
I have both. I won't buy another pelican.
Pelicans cost 10x what the Apache cases cost.
I personally can't see any reason to spend the extra money other than the brand name.
I understand that matters to some, and it's your money to spend as you like.

Yup.
I'd rather spend the difference on a new gun or knife.

I agree with you. There are many factors of quality the pelican cases offer that the cheaper stuff does not. Will mine crack before my friends? Maybe but I'm my little world I dont have the luxray to throw money around on the best of the best. I have to save to get the things I want I I suppose I should have said : I dont see the value in the more expensive cases but if I have endless amounts of money of course I would get a pelican lol

I agree with you. There are many factors of quality the pelican cases offer that the cheaper stuff does not. Will mine crack before my friends? Maybe but I'm my little world I dont have the luxray to throw money around on the best of the best. I have to save to get the things I want I I suppose I should have said : I dont see the value in the more expensive cases but if I have endless amounts of money of course I would get a pelican lol

The way I see it having a collection is already a luxury...what’s a little more? Having a premium case isn’t any different to me than having a premium knife or gun. I can buy Tarus and M-tech or I can buy H&K and Hinderer....I know how I’m going to spend my money ;)

Back