Name of aftermarket Sharp rods

Dr Blazer

Platinum Member
Please don't yell at me, but feel free to make fun of me or laugh at me. I'm happy just to see other people laughing. I don't care if you're laughing with me or if you're laughing at me, as long as you are laughing.
Anyway, I have been using a Spyderco Sharpmaker for a couple months. I've been practicing with cheap steel knives (440C, 420HC, 14C28N, Aus 8, etc.) In general, I mainly use it to touch-up my knives (along with stropping). It's worked really well for resharpening/re-polishing/touching-up (I'm terrible at remembering the names of everything) my knives, even my knives with M390. I think the Spyderco Sharpmaker does that very well, with some help from stropping after I'm done using the Sharpmaker. I have not tried using it to resurface knives with anything better than 14C28N. That being said, I'd like to resurface my Kershaw Launch 4 Damascus because it came extremely dull with a micro-edge. I'd prefer the edge to be a little deeper/wider. I also have the CBN rods for the Sharpmaker but I haven't used them too many times.
That brings me to my question. I can't remember the name of the company(s) (I know there's at least one) that make(s) rods that fit and work with the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I tried doing a search, but I failed at finding it. I think the name was something like Edge Master (I know it's not Wicked Edge) or something like that. I remember reading about them being relatively cheap, like $5 or $6. I would like to know the names of the rods & where I can buy them. I'd like to get more rods with smaller differences in grit sizes between rods (I.E. 10 micron, 20 micron, 40 micron, 100 micron, 200 micron, 400 micron, 600 micron, 800 micron, etc). I know that it's not necessary, but I'd like to start using more rods to observe the differences that small changes in grit provide, although sometimes it will be unnoticeable. I have the CBN rods and one of the Ultra Fine Grit Rods as well as the medium & fine grit rods that came with the Sharpmaker. I want to know if any rods are made with lower & higher grit and if there are any rods with different grit than the rods that Spyderco makes.
I highly appreciate any help that you can give me.

Thanks,
Blair

Last edited:
If the sharpmaker rods are 1/2" triangles you could use Congress Tools 1/2 Tri. x 6 stones in various grits and formulations. CongressTools.com

Have you considered sandpaper? Image from forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=69097

M2FcYyM.jpg

Last edited:
I think the name was something like Edge Master

If the sharpmaker rods are 1/2" triangles you could use Congress Tools 1/2 Tri. x 6 stones in various grits and formulations. CongressTools.com

M Mr.Wizard 's reply is the answer you were looking for I believe. Congress makes a series of stones called "Moldmaster" that are quite popular, and 1/2" triangle is the size you want to fit the Sharpmaker.

Have you considered sandpaper? Image from forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=69097

M2FcYyM.jpg
Thank you! That was the company I was looking for. I soon as I saw the Ruby name for the rods for the softer steels I knew that was the right company. Thank you!

M Mr.Wizard 's reply is the answer you were looking for I believe. Congress makes a series of stones called "Moldmaster" that are quite popular, and 1/2" triangle is the size you want to fit the Sharpmaker.

You're tight. Thank you for the reply. They're all a lot cheaper than the Sypdercos, so I'm gonna buy a few of each to keep as backups and replacements when needed.

You're welcome. If you get more than one type (e.g. EDM, Moldmaster) please offer your comparison after using them on a few knives. I've never used Congress stones but I might get some because they make half-round stones.

I will. The Moldmasters were exactly what I was looking for. I knew "master" was part of the model name. I was thinking edge master, so I'm glad that you helped me out because my Google searches for "edge master sharpening rods" just kept bringing up the Lansky Master's Edge, which is very similar to the Spyderco Sharpmaker, hahaha. That's why I started this thread and gave up on the Google search.
Anyway, I'm going to buy the Moldmasters and I'm gonna buy some Ruby's as well.

Do any of you know what size I should get? I've seen thread and posts on YouTube and other places that have said 1/4", 3/8” & 1/2”. I'm assuming it's 1/2", I'm pretty sure it's bigger than 1/4", but I want to be sure before I buy them. Thank you to whoever helps me out with this.

Learn to use stone,its easier and gives better edge,sharpmaker is excellent for fast touchups or to take off the wire edge in few passes,but its not for reprofiling and to take off a lot of material off the blade.Its easy to use stone or small cheap belt sander,then use sharpmaker for touchups.

I second the suggestion to learn another method for reprofiling or any other serious metal removal. I’ve done it with the Sharpmaker many times, and it requires a great deal of patience.

If you don’t want to invest the time in learning to freehand, buy an edge pro. My bevels are much more consistent and I spend only a fraction of the time. Sharpmaker is still great for touch ups tho.

Agreed. For the price of a moldmaster you can get a cheap combo stone from the hardware store that will let you set an edge or reprofile. Then use your regular sharpmaker to keep things honed.

Hi,

Triangles not required

Got wood? Screw it! It doesn't take much:)

here is a bench stone sharpmaker,
fancy version with plywood,
it doesn't take this much wood,
1-2 screws/nails is plenty of holding power,
no precision cuts required
1-2minutes with a hand saw will do the job
dont even need wood this wide or thick

you could simply lean stone against wall on kitchen counter top, a shelf/book case, stack of books

horizontal sharpmaker cardboard version is ultra light weight
cardboard will hold up a 1lb stone without problem (under 20 degrees).

PdPKd4X.jpg

I've had the Spyderco Sharpmaker for almost a year and it works very well for me. As I said, I pretty much only use it for touching-up. I will continue to use my Sharpmaker until for awhile. Eventually I will buy something like the Apex 4, but for right now, I will continue to use my Sharpmaker. I don't have enough extra money to buy one right now. I would already own a belt sander, but my left arm is paralyzed so I don't think I'd be able to use belt sander too well, but thank you for the recommendations. I guess I should learn how to freehand, but I already own and use a Sharpmaker (and it's worked very well for me), that is what I'll continue to use for awhile.

Dr Blazer Dr Blazer Given your limitation I believe you will need to get a clamped system, rather than an Edge Pro. Look at Wicked Edge, TSProf, Hapstone K1, KME, etc.

Thank you. Yes, you're right that I'll need a clamped system. Eventually I will buy one, but for now I'm satisfied with my Sharpmaker because I'm just using it to keep sharp knife sharp.

Back