Name that pattern

Slight hijack here, but is there a place where I can purchase a poster of ax head patterns? There's lots online but I have'nt found anything that blows up well. Something like FortyTwoBlades posted?
I'd like to hang one on my garage wall.

About a year ago a friend who worked on "An Ax To Grind" at the US Forest Service in Missoula sent me four really great axe posters that I think everybody here would love. They are very high quality. I don't know the particulars about if they are for sale to the general public or not. For sure, somebody here will know how to find out. They are titled "Common Single-Bit Axe Head Patterns"; "Common Double-Bit Axe Head Patterns"; "Axe Handles"; and "Parts of an Axe". On the bottom of the posters is written---Produced by US Department of Agriculture-Forest Service-National Technology and Development Program-Missoula Montana-1623-2M04-MTDC.

About a year ago a friend who worked on "An Ax To Grind" at the US Forest Service in Missoula sent me four really great axe posters that I think everybody here would love. They are very high quality. I don't know the particulars about if they are for sale to the general public or not. For sure, somebody here will know how to find out. They are titled "Common Single-Bit Axe Head Patterns"; "Common Double-Bit Axe Head Patterns"; "Axe Handles"; and "Parts of an Axe". On the bottom of the posters is written---Produced by US Department of Agriculture-Forest Service-National Technology and Development Program-Missoula Montana-1623-2M04-MTDC.
I am definitely interested old axeman. How do i go about purchasing one from you?

YJ- I only have the one set that my friend Bob sent me. I have been retired from the Forest Service for 15 years and live a long way from Missoula now. I really don't know any thing about these posters other than they were produced at MTDC and I REALLY like them. I think everybody on this forum would also like them. My hope was, that with so many talented internet members, someone here could find info on line?
Try calling (406-329-3900) or emailing (pubs/wo_mtdc@fs.fed.us) the FS- MTDC in Missoula and ask what the story is on the posters.
Good Luck!

Not being all that internet savvy...I sent an email earlier this afternoon :thumbsup:;)

YJ- I only have the one set that my friend Bob sent me. I have been retired from the Forest Service for 15 years and live a long way from Missoula now. I really don't know any thing about these posters other than they were produced at MTDC and I REALLY like them. I think everybody on this forum would also like them. My hope was, that with so many talented internet members, someone here could find info on line?
Try calling (406-329-3900) or emailing (pubs/wo_mtdc@fs.fed.us) the FS- MTDC in Missoula and ask what the story is on the posters.
Good Luck!
Is there any chance that we could compel you to get prints made for us? I’m sure we could cobble together the money for it.

Slight hijack here, but is there a place where I can purchase a poster of ax head patterns? There's lots online but I have'nt found anything that blows up well. Something like FortyTwoBlades posted?
I'd like to hang one on my garage wall.

I have run out of garage door but...:cool::D

20190321-125933.jpg

I think if you see the FS posters you will want the real deal instead of copies. Besides, I would not know how to do that where I now live--Big Island of Hawaii. Also, getting anything done timely or with quality is a major problem here. When someone tells you "we will start the job on Monday", you better ask which Monday is that and what year is it in. The best thing is to work direct with the Forest Service in Missoula by getting in touch through the contact information I gave you. If it works the same way it did 20 yrs ago with "An Ax To Grind" the posters will be in public domain because tax dollars were involved. This would mean anybody in the private sector could reproduce the posters and even sell them. If you are really interested, you need to contact them.

Care to indulge me in the pattern name game!?

Of the lot below, it is the 4.5lb Gränsfors Bruk in the middle that is puzzling me most?

But if anyone has opinions on the nuances of the other patterns, I’d welcome them! (Like Dayton or Wide Dayton?, Jersey or Baltimore Kentucky? Etc)

They go 2.5lb, 3.5lb, 4.5lb, 5lb, 6lb:
DF4-AC61-E-2313-44-BC-820-F-B8-F3-EB115421.jpg

3-E196183-A14-D-4-D60-AC93-DDC1-E3774-D9-F.jpg

The GB is about 6” across the bit and 7 3/4” long.
I can provide dimensions of any of the others if it helps!
80-F27195-3926-4846-A631-EEA33-B60-F278.jpg

Thanks for your time!!

Of the lot below, it is the 4.5lb Gränsfors Bruk in the middle that is puzzling me most?

But if anyone has opinions on the nuances of the other patterns, I’d welcome them! (Like Dayton or Wide Dayton?, Jersey or Baltimore Kentucky? Etc)

Thanks for your time!!

I think that big one might be an early Helko Carl Helsper (Germany).

I think that big one might be an early Helko Carl Helsper (Germany).

Helko Crown
C.H. initials inside the crown.

Excellent observation and call.

Thanks for your time!!

It's a beauty

Back