Name The New PM3

Why would you name the original Paramilitary 2 the Paramilitary 2 unless there was a preceding model and possibly models coming afterwards IE. 'Paramilitary 3'. I think it's insane to abandon the juggernaut that is the Spyderco Paramilitary brand. 'Paramilitary 3' makes the most sense to me.

Why would you name the original Paramilitary 2 the Paramilitary 2 unless there was a preceding model and possibly models coming afterwards IE. 'Paramilitary 3'. I think it's insane to abandon the juggernaut that is the Spyderco Paramilitary brand. 'Paramilitary 3' makes the most sense to me.

The reason being that traditionally the "2" or "3" following a model name indicates a revamp of an existing model that replaces the prior. In this case the PM3 or whatever it's called will be a new model offered in addition to the PM2 not a replacement. Also if it does become the PM3 for lack of a better name and because it sports a 3" blade, then it causes an issue if the 3.462" PM2 gets a rework in the future (however unlikely) then the name is already taken. At the end of the day I don't care what they call it I just want one!
😉

The reason being that traditionally the "2" or "3" following a model name indicates a revamp of an existing model that replaces the prior. In this case the PM3 or whatever it's called will be a new model offered in addition to the PM2 not a replacement. Also if it does become the PM3 for lack of a better name and because it sports a 3" blade, then it causes an issue if the 3.462" PM2 gets a rework in the future (however unlikely) then the name is already taken. At the end of the day I don't care what they call it I just want one!
😉

That's +1 for the Spyderco Petunia. Right on!

😉
The new knife is a rework of the current PM2 therefore PM3 still works. If they rework the PM2 again, it becomes the PM4. Why abandon the brand recognition?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The new knife is a rework of the current PM2 therefore PM3 still works. If they rework the PM2 again, it becomes the PM4. Why abandon the brand recognition?

No, it's not a rework of the PM2 it'll be it's own model in addition to the PM2. Similar to how the Paramilitary was an offshoot of the Military. The Paramilitary 2 isn't going away when the new smaller knife comes out. It's entirely possible that Spyderco might make some QCI updates to the PM2 in the future so it makes sense that they'd want to reserve Paramilitary 3 for that updated version.

No, it's not a rework of the PM2 it'll be it's own model in addition to the PM2. Similar to how the Paramilitary was an offshoot of the Military. The Paramilitary 2 isn't going away when the new smaller knife comes out. It's entirely possible that Spyderco might make some QCI updates to the PM2 in the future so it makes sense that they'd want to reserve Paramilitary 3 for that updated version.
To me there's no difference in your example. Calling the paramilitary 2 an offshoot of the military is no different than calling a new offshoot of the paramilitary 2 the paramilitary 3. I think they will be a bigger seller if they retain the paramilitary family name.

It is going to be a different knife, not a rework of the Para 2. It's going to be smaller. It started as a Military. Made a smaller one called Para Military. Re worked that to Para Military 2. Now making an even smaller one. I do agree in keeping to the Military heritage but not Para Military. (since they didnt name the Para Military the Military 2, why would they name the smallest Military variant the PM3) My vote would be Micro Military to keep the name in the Military family.

It is going to be a different knife, not a rework of the Para 2. It's going to be smaller. It started as a Military. Made a smaller one called Para Military. Re worked that to Para Military 2. Now making an even smaller one. I do agree in keeping to the Military heritage but not Para Military. (since they didnt name the Para Military the Military 2, why would they name the smallest Military variant the PM3) My vote would be Micro Military to keep the name in the Military family.

I think that makes sense as well except the new knife will be much more akin to the Para because of the compression lock.

Paramilitary S (small)
Paramilitary C (compact)

I own several Spydies but Benchmade's naming convention makes more sense from a consumer standpoint.

Because there WAS a Paramilitary prior? The PM2 is an updated version of that. This is a separate model...not just an updated version.

To me there's no difference in your example. Calling the paramilitary 2 an offshoot of the military is no different than calling a new offshoot of the paramilitary 2 the paramilitary 3. I think they will be a bigger seller if they retain the paramilitary family name.

Right....except for the difference between the MILITARY and PARAmilitary. It was different enough to get a new name.

As an aside...do some of you really think through your suggestions? The Spyderco 'FNG'...yeah, that's totally what we're going to call it. :rolleyes:

^^ Just sayin.... To abandon the family name of the Paramilitary is crazy. It's easily one of the most sought after and recognizable Spyderco blades ever and this blade IS essentially a sized down version of the Para2. If it were up to me, I'd springboard off of that brand recognition as much as possible.

security guard or the mall cop or the parking lot attendant........

Imagine if instead of naming the Mini Griptilian the Mini Griptilian, Benchmade decided to name it the Presidio (before the Presidio existed)? It just doesn't make any logical sense. ^^ I could however get on board with Parking Lot Attendant ;)

Wow, you guys are way too serious. I'm not sure if you are trying to insult me jbmonkey? I personally don't have anything against anyone who works for a living, be it mall cop, security guard or otherwise. I was just trying to inject some humor into the whole name game. I didn't realize that people here were so serious about the subject. Have fun, I got to go covertly follow some kids looking up to no good here in the mall.

Wow, you guys are way too serious. I'm not sure if you are trying to insult me jbmonkey? I personally don't have anything against anyone who works for a living, be it mall cop, security guard or otherwise. I was just trying to inject some humor into the whole name game. I didn't realize that people here were so serious about the subject. Have fun, I got to go covertly follow some kids looking up to no good here in the mall.

Haha...I got where you were coming from. I laughed out loud when I read your last sentence "Have fun, I got to go covertly follow some kids looking up to no good here in the mall."

Back