Native 5 FRN

I really like lockbacks so I might be in for one plus I also like the blade shape. What is the expected price range on this one and did they mention what colors will be available?

Just backed up and saw Sal's response to the colors. I'd be happy with a black but wouldn't mind seeing a blue or that Delica purple would be very nice.

Last edited:
The only unfortunate thing about this knife is with the FFG it sort of loses that traditional Native look. From a practicality standpoint, I like it better, but aesthetically not as much. Almost makes me want to get the outgoing model before it goes, but if I did it would honestly just sit in a drawer, because I know I would rather carry the FFG S35V.

I love my Native lightweight, but this new version looks friggin sweet. A green or dark blue would be especially awesome. Cant wait!

I don't recall seeing this one in the 2014 catalog, or did I just miss it? Street price seems to be around 80 bucks for S35VN. Interesting...

Thoughts?

I guess it's a good deal.
I just never warmed up with lockbacks. Other Native 5 finish was not comparable to Taichung's. I returned one to spyderco because jimping doesn't lined up to the extended jimping on the lock.
Don't think I'll buy another native although the design is an improvement to the old model.

I just never warmed up with lockbacks. Other Native 5 finish was not comparable to Taichung's. I returned one to spyderco because jimping doesn't lined up to the extended jimping on the lock.
Don't think I'll buy another native although the design is an improvement to the old model.

I was never a fan of lockbacks either, until I really got into Spydercos. I had owned a few lock backs in the past, by other brands including SOG, Buck, and Schrade knives. Not trying to say anything bad about those companies, but none of the models I owned by them lived up to the lockback Spydercos I have owned. The Spydercos are much smoother, and the placement of the lockback release just seems to be right (at least on the ones that I own)
My first Spyderco lockback was a Salt 1, because being by the ocean, I had to try H1 steel but after trying it, I warmed up to the Idea of lockbacks.

I'm just waiting on the edge of my seat here... I thought it'd be out pretty soon. Still looks like a near perfect knife to me. I also wouldn't mind green, blue, orange, or pink.

I'm just waiting on the edge of my seat here... I thought it'd be out pretty soon. Still looks like a near perfect knife to me. I also wouldn't mind green, blue, orange, or pink.

Or maybe a salt version so we could dye the handle whatever color we want! But black is a good starter :)

I just got one aswell and the jimping doesnt line up perfect. Not enough to bug me to much though. What bugged me was how dull it came. Everyone raves about how sharp spydies come but mine won't even scrap hairs off my arm at all...my gfs manix2 I ordered at the same time however is scary sharp!!!

I just got one aswell and the jimping doesnt line up perfect. Not enough to bug me to much though. What bugged me was how dull it came. Everyone raves about how sharp spydies come but mine won't even scrap hairs off my arm at all...my gfs manix2 I ordered at the same time however is scary sharp!!!

Same story with the jimping on my Native 5 - it doesn't seem to be machined perfectly perpendicular to the blade - but it's not enough to be bothersome. Actually it seems incredibly minor compared to how well the rest of the knife is put together and how solid it is. Mine did come fairly sharp, just not as sharp as the Seki or Taichung spydies usually do.

I do think I'll pick up an FRN model when they become available.

I'd like this knife but I am concerned about blade thickness. I would prefer .125 however, with it being S35v I'm speculating the thickness to be less than.

Was the blade thickness posted somewhere and I missed it?

Back