Native 5 FRN

I'm just gonna wait till a less contested option comes up for pre order.

So it's been almost 10 days since we've visited this thread. Surely this knife will be out soon. I was excited to see the second wave of Lightweight Manix 2s come out earlier this week. That's a good sign that things are moving along.

Maybe, just maybe by the end of this month we'll see the Lightweight Natives...

So it's been almost 10 days since we've visited this thread. Surely this knife will be out soon. I was excited to see the second wave of Lightweight Manix 2s come out earlier this week. That's a good sign that things are moving along.

Here's hoping!

Dup post.

Last edited:
Got an email from GPKnives - order status is "Processing"!!!

They have them in and are shipping them out today!!!!

I look forward to the photos that will be posted shortly after everyones shipment arrives. I will be slightly envious of those of you who are lucky enough to get one of the first ones out.

The midnight blue version will be S110V.

But I think I am going to wait for this one....

I look forward to the photos that will be posted shortly after everyones shipment arrives. I will be slightly envious of those of you who are lucky enough to get one of the first ones out.
Sal Glesser said:
The midnight blue version will be S110V.

But I think I am going to wait for this one....

+1 :thumbup:

I hate they did away with the swedge,to me it is what made the Native.

Finally after months of waiting. Awsome knife. Only thing i would change is the screw placement. I wish it was the same as the g10 native so we can put the deep carry clips on. But other then that perfect knife.

^^ Thanks for the pics!

The handle shape looks like it would feel fantastic in the hand.

Yea great ergos. The native 5 has the best ergos of any spyderco ive handled. I like the frn alot better then the g10. Spyderco also molded the handle a little different on this one too. The spydie hole is alot easier to access with your thumb and middle finger.

Great pics. One of my must haves for 2015. Looks like an easy home run Spyderco.

Did we ever find out if they will be doing away with the native 4 frn? Might have to snag one up as well for nostalgia sake if they are.

Great pics. One of my must haves for 2015. Looks like an easy home run Spyderco.

Did we ever find out if they will be doing away with the native 4 frn? Might have to snag one up as well for nostalgia sake if they are.

Can't find the quote, but I think recall Sal mentioning on one of the forums that they would be phasing out the older FRN Native.

The Native 4 was the VG-10 & CF handled one from about 5 years back or so, it was a sprint. The current version I believe is the Native (no numerical identifier). The 3 also had VG-10, but FRN scales, it was discontinued though pretty quick from what I remember.

I pre-ordered mine as soon as I saw this thread and just got it this morning - all within 2 days :) Here's a little review:

1. Love the feel as much as the G10 version.
2. Love that I can tip-down carry
3. Love the FRN (I'm a big fan of FRN, and even without the liners - which I love - there is as little flex as the Delica 4)
4. Not liking that the blade is situated far-left (the choil rubs the inside of the handle, which I'm guessing is the only reason that the blade isn't)
5. And the last thing which is kind of weird... I tightened the pivot up a little bit. I thought that the whole point of the bushing pivot was that you could tighten it all the way, and the setting would be perfect. Instead, it locked the blade up to the point that I couldn't open/close it. After playing around with it (I couldn't get the blade to open/close properly), I had the clip on and then started to loosen the pivot. That caused the handles to "pry" apart a little bit. Then I tightened both sides about all the way again, and now the tightness is ok again. Gave me a little scare, there. Although the blade is still far-left :eek:

I really like the knife; I've been wanting one for a long time and was very happy when I read about the Native 5 FRN coming out (probably the biggest impulse buy I've ever had :eek:)

By the way, the lock bar pivot looks to be pinned, but the rest of the handle is screw-construction. How exactly does that work?

I hate they did away with the swedge,to me it is what made the Native.
I have to agree. The swedge is unique. But, I am glad that there is finally an affordable variation of an existing model. The blue Manix 110v isn't too bad either.

In terms of affordability, the Native has always been one of the best folders pound for pound for the money. Keep in mind the original 5 is USA made, has steel liners, G10, and FFG S35VN steel it is priced competitively with offerings from other manufacturers. Looking at what can be had for the money, it is still very much a premium piece even at slightly above the $100 mark. I think the first time I held and used a Native, that is what sold me on the importance of ergonomics. I think sometimes we don't realize all that goes into making these items and we usually feel that they "should" be a certain price, but that is not always inline with the reality of it. I know I used to feel that way years ago.

Back