Native 5 - the perfect pocket knife?

I really don't think the G10 is an upgrade, my S110V LW was never under knifed or at any time I wish I had a stronger knife. I also have the cf laminate N5 with steel liner which is essentially the same as the G10 version. It's heavier.... and gives you a false sense of robustness. About the only plus is that it looks more sophisticated. And YES the G10 will rip your jeans on the 2nd day carrying it if you pull it out more than 3 times a day.
I do not know, if G10 N5 is upgrade or not. I am carrying G10 Native5 clipped to my pocket almost since they came out, meaning for years and they never rip my jeans. The only Spyderco, which rip my jeans is Caly3.5 and it took about 6 month. Another thing, G10 with time is getting smoother.

If Spyderco offered a linerless G10 N5 I'd be all over it. [emoji41]. For now I think the LW models are the best offering... other than the wildly expensive 40th. When a knife costs as much as a Sebenza, I'm buying another Sebenza. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also think the lw models are the best. In this model, strength and weight don t correlate positively.

Thanks for all the comments.

The reason I'm also considering the G10 version is because I cannot carry the lightweight clipped at all. I must carry it down inside the pocket, because clipping it literally tore the inside of my pocket after only 2 times. But I can carry such models as my Militaries without wearing away the pockets (at least quickly). That's my only perceived flaw about the lightweight; as I've mentioned earlier, if the Spyder logo on the handle were an 'oval' shape so the clip contacted entirely on the logo, it would most likely be as easy (or almost as easy) on the pockets as the Delica 4. Other than that, I feel the Native 5 lightweight is one of Spyderco's all-time best models, and as a user it's certainly my fave FRN model, and I like a bunch of the FRN Spydies.

Jim

It's too bad the clip doesn't line up well with the non-textured circle when carried tip-up. Maybe it lines up better when carried tip down?
Someone linked to a titanium deep carry clip a page or two back - sold at the auction site - looks like it lines up perfectly. Of course that boosts the price of the knife and it's deep carry so it may be less comfortable in hand.
I have the G-10 version and it's quite nice. I'm considering the Maxamet Lightweight when it's released but I would probably have to change the clip.

I've never had a problem with my N5 LWs shredding my pockets but I can see how it could be a problem for some. I've heard of some folks lightly sanding the area near where the clip meets the scales. I've seen pics and I really couldn't tell it was done. Maybe this can be an alternate solution to replacing the clip?

Deep carry clip from the auction site on my N5 LW S110v. Auction states it's for the Tenacious, but it works fine on the Native. Clip contacts scale on the center medallion, so there's no pocket damage. Here's a link: https://goo.gl/tc0HJW (I have no connection to seller).

Man this story is some quite shitty experience... I bought a native 5 from someone and he mailed it with postNL ( a dutch mailing company ) and guess what? PostNL lost the package. So now i had to order an other native from a real store. Hope this one gets delivered correctly.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SHIELD Tablet K1 met Tapatalk

@iMarcoU, I'm crossing my fingers for ya!

Every few days I'll drop in on this thread just to hear everyone's thoughts on the Native 5. I'm fondling it right now, and am enjoying everything about this knife. It was my work knife for a while but was given a break due to that wharnie in the pic. I'm remembering why I dig it so much :)

sXrCoTu.jpg

Good post.^
I love the new Lil Temp3! I'd love to try one but it has the same blade length as my Native5 LW. Do you see what I'm saying?
rolf

I think I have replied to this way back but my S110V N5 LW has essentially ended my new knife purchases. For me it is the perfect knife.

I own 3 Native 5s - LW S35, G10 S35 & the fluted titanium. All 3 are amazing.

My favorite Spyderco folder.

my S110V N5 LW has essentially ended my new knife purchases. For me it is the perfect knife.
I wish this would happen with me, unfortunately Spyderco addiction is too strong. I need my fixes. But the latest purchase was S110V LW. I gifted mine to a friend last week and absolutely have to replace. :)

I couldn't possibly count all the Spyderco's I've bought since my first Delica in '91 ,100 ? ,many I've given as gifts .

Use them on the job , in the woods, on the boat and on and on.

I own one Native ,a Moonglow , that's kind a neat, otherwise I can't warm up to,it . I have zero use for a finger choil . It turns this folder into what a call a "spoon knife" . That is of the overall length of the knife open so,little is actually edge I can use .

I just look at it thinking if only the edge went down to the handle ....

I know this thread is full of Native lovers and some great looking Natives at that, no offense but it's not for me ,

I know this thread is full of Native lovers and some great looking Natives at that, no offense but it's not for me ,

Ahh, the old choil vs no-choil divide. :p Your perspective is totally valid and understandable. If you're a no-choil person, it makes sense the Native wouldn't work well for you. Me, I like a choil, so whenever I read the Delica thread, for example, I just shake my head, sigh wistfully and think, "So close to perfect. If only it had a choil like the Caly or Native." ;)

:D^
Great thread!
I recently showed a friend my Never Summer and he said, what a perfect knife!
It must have been the red.
rolf

Back