Native (BIG) Chief

Sal, thank you for taking my concerns into consideration and for keeping them in the perspective in which they were intended. I am glad to hear that your company is making efforts to help out the needy in your area, regardless of ethnic or racial background.

My concerns have nothing to do with your current offering, the Native, but of subsequent offering from your company. I certainly take no offence to the “house names” you referred to (you should hear what the wife calls me around the house), but don’t feel that they would be appropriate for a commercial item.

I also did not mean to inflame anyone’s sensibilities or seem overly sensitive myself. No issue is black and white; I just felt that my views on the subject are valid, and wanted to express my concerns concisely. I don’t claim that my feeling are entirely rational, but felt the issue warranted my speaking up. I always enjoy the exchanges engendered on these forums, and the level of civility kept throughout this one is appreciated.

I am looking forward to receiving my Special Edition Native in 440v. As for a name for the regular run, why not name it after the latest inductee into the Blade Hall of Fame? I hear he is a man of some repute.
wink.gif

------------------
James

I have to admit that I don't like the name "Chief". I don't have a big problem with it and I'm certainly not going to be organizing any protests in the near future, but it's worth mentioning because Spyderco has the best knife names around. Some names revolve around professions ("Police", "Military"), others are insects ("Dragonfly" etc.), while others are more abstract ("Delica", "Endura). My favorites are the "Navigator" and "Pegasus"; not only are they generally allowed on airplanes, but the handle design reminds one of a wing shape.
The problem with "Chief" and "Papoose" is that you always see a specific type of product associated with Indian names. You don't see a "Big Chief" model personal computer, a "Native" photocopier or a "Papoose" brand microwave oven. These names are for stuff like cigars, hard liquor and knives. It's a stereotype.

I agree with the G-10 and 440V. How about a different color? The black G-10 is boring and not everyone wants to be stealth. A medium green would look sharp!
smile.gif

Like some of the others have said, I don't care what name you give it as long as the knife performs. We can call the the GREEN MONSTER named after Fenway Park in Boston?!
smile.gif
LOL

OK, I've been out of town and off the 'net for two weeks now, so I've missed a lot. But, I have to ask RIGHT NOW! Is there anywhere on the 'net where one might get a look at the CHIEF? Or must I sit and wonder and pine away because I couldn't go to the Blade Show....
frown.gif
frown.gif

Oh, and did Cougar get zapped, OBTW?

O_D

Back on topic. The knife in question is the Bladeforums Blue Spyderco Native in 440v, if I am correct. See http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000702.html , but try to ignore the nasty little exchange that took place over there.

Sorry everyone
frown.gif

------------------
James

[This message has been edited by stjames (edited 17 June 1999).]

Native Chief Sheath? Say that three times fast....
Here some names me and the fam came up with
Iksa (Lakhota, means interesting)(EEksah)
The Samaritan
Amigo

Danelle

One should choose his battle
and no less his battleground
so as not to fight a friend
lest no new ones may be found

Chief is an honorable term. It denotes wisdom and experience. One who is not afraid to take charge and lead the way. I am part Native American and an Air Force Chief Master Sergeant and am proud to be called "Chief". I do not think it portrays Native Americans in a bad light to call this superior knife "Chief". I vote to leave it "Chief", if you must change it, I suggest "Defender" or "Legend".

James -- apologies are for the guilty only. You stood your ground and I commend you and Sal for considering what is fair.

As for the name, how about Native III, after Native and Native II?

Danelle seems closest, if not directly on target. If the intention is to benefit/honor the local tribal people, then an appropriate name or word from that group would make a fine name. ( Maybe take a prototype to show them, let them name it. That would make it really special and significant.)

If the name or word poses a marketing problem, have a few choices both in the native language and english.

OK Guys & Gals, Should this model be a go, what to call it is next?

Make it a go, make it a go,make it a GO!!! As a part 'Native American' (I prefer Indian, like I always heard us called when I was a kid; or at least call me a Cherokee), I would buy it if it had a burgundy/maroon handle (redskin, anyone) AND a great big chief's head dress on it. So what, it'd still be a great knife. I could rant on for another 50 lines, probably, about what I think about the term Native American, but I've probably already said more here than I should have.

Sal, please forget about what to call it, at least for now, and build it. If you do, the buyers will come. Even without a name, it will be well know, just like a couple of other 'numbers' that you already make.

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

How about you just call it the "Chieftan" and have done with it. For me anyhow, that doesn't illicit the same kneejerk response of "they're talking about Native Americans" that "Chief" does (yes, StJames, I had the same initial reaction to it that you did until I thought about how many native peoples with chiefs there are in the world - though Mr. Glesser's statement changes my reasoning on that). As far as later models, we'll cross that bridge when (if) we come to it.

I strongly feel Spyderco should not go with a system of Native I, II, III, etc. because this gets confusing to the ELU in common discussion. I have seen great confusion by people saying "Calypso" when they meant "Calypso Jr." or "Leopard" when they meant "Leopard Cub." A number system would be even worse. Name is important! Most folks I know have reverted to using the (almost as confusing) system of numbers when talking about Benchmades because their knives are often un-named (330,350,720, etc.) or change their names (Eclipse -> Ascent, Pinnacle -> Mono-Lock, etc.) I'd hate to see Spydercos reduced to the level of needing to use C07, C55, C36, etc., though I know some folks already do this.

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

I still don't see a place for the Chief. But I imagine some people see no need for the chinese folder.
smile.gif
Luckly we have Spyderco to make knives that everyone and anyone will like.

Blades

Blades,

I am Chinese. Why don't we rename the Chief the Chinese folder and put that in production, Yeah!!!
smile.gif

Seriously, I realize after the show, with the excitement of wanting to handle certain knives, I forgot to even look at some of the others. The Lum prototype was one of those I didn't touch. What a mistake. Next year, I have a check-off list.
smile.gif

sing

Hey, when can we expect to see the Bob Lum From-some-Asian-country-that-shall-not-be-named Folder, anyhow?

My point was really that knives of different designs should never have the same name with "modifications" - it's too confusing, because folks frequently shorten them. I agree with calling a knife by the same name in different handle variations (G-10 Harpy, Steel Harpy) but Calypso & Calypso Jr. just causes confusion. Even when a knife comes in two sizes, it's better to have two separate names, like (ugh) the Blackhawk and Renegade, or Police and Rookie. This is hardly a Spyderco-only problem; it's rampant in the industry. But Spyderco has always been a trendsetter and they can continue by getting their names in order at the same time they re-organize their numbering.

For example, I understand the Merlin will now share the same number as the Harpy series. Good! Now finish the job by making it the Liteweight Harpy, because it's just a handle variation.

On the flip-side, take any knives that have separate numbers (e.g. C16, C18, C20) and give them distinct separate names. Instead of Goddard, Goddard Jr., and Baby Goddard, they could be the "Wayne Goddard designed *X*, the Wayne Goddard designed *Y*, and the Wayne Goddard designed *Z*". Simply put, if it has its own number, it should have its own name, and that name shouldn't be just another knife's name with "Jr." or "II" or "Grande" (hehehe) tacked on the end. ELUs will almost aways drop the last bit and find themselves talking apples and oranges without even realizing it.

Look at the mess we're in with folks talking about the old Bob T.'s and others thinking they mean Starmates. If the old knife had a name this wouldn't be a problem. And I'm tired of mentioning my Calypso and having folks assume I mean the more common Calypso Jr.

I dunno... This is just a lengthy suggestion 'cause I'm taking a break from my shop and always like to use three words when one will do. But please consider what I'm saying and start the fight against knife confusion!

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

How about "The knife formerly known as Chief"?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

But seriously no more numbers please. Or how about just "?". What do you think Sal?

L8r,
Nakano

oopps, wrong thread...

[This message has been edited by Titan (edited 20 June 1999).]

Back