Native Chief vs Endura

How do they compare in size and ergos? I'm considering getting the Chief in S90V, just a little concerned it will carry more awkwardly than the Endura, which is about as large/bulky as I want to go with my EDC.

If you Google your thread title you will find many previous comparison threads, as well as photos of size comparisons. IIRC the Chief is slightly longer, but I think the Endura makes for a better carry with the lack of a finger choil.

I just sent my Native Chief S90V back to the dealer...thin blade was warped. I would get an Endura and save yourself $150.

I didn't realize how similar in size they are.
I definitely had to have ONE Native Chief in my collection. The ergos are OK. There is a few sharp edges/hots spots.
The Endura isn't pretty, but the ergos are noticeably better. It melts into my hand, but what else would you expect from a 'knife icon'?
2pmB6pv.jpg

I have a K390 Endura--it's great. I was thinking I "need" a similar sized blade with a choil, and I like the super hi performance steels, so that limits the options.

I didn't realize how similar in size they are.
I definitely had to have ONE Native Chief in my collection. The ergos are OK. There is a few sharp edges/hots spots.
The Endura isn't pretty, but the ergos are noticeably better. It melts into my hand, but what else would you expect from a 'knife icon'?

NOT really similar at all IMO.

Aesthically, the NC far surpasses the Endura in every way. Just look at the pic above.

However, functionally there's absolutely nothing "wrong" w/an Endura. In fact, I think it's better as a "user" than the NC. The NC's spear point tip is vulnerable to breaking (if you don't use it properly) and the Endura's stouter and (semi) drop point blade shape is probably more durable and fuctional generally. The Endura's FRN scales are also better suited to "messy" tasks than the NC's G10.

BTW, own 4 Enduras (1 user and 3 safe queens which are all Gen 1 FRN clip-its). I also own 2 NC's - the S30V and S90V.

I also would say Endura. The choil is a waste of blade length. Love my PM2 but I my Canis just kills it in terms of ergos and available blade length.

Sgt, you don't think they are similar in size at all? They look very close to me, which I find surprising, as does mwhich. I just assumed the Chief was much bigger.

He didn’t really say either way. I think he was referring to ergos. Blade edge looks close too, based on mwhich50 mwhich50 ’s pic.

2988BC0A-4A44-4742-84EC-C7DFF13559BE.jpeg

Sgt, you don't think they are similar in size at all? They look very close to me, which I find surprising, as does mwhich. I just assumed the Chief was much bigger.

I really like the way the Endura feels in the hand, but for some cutting jobs I find that the combination of the finger guard on the grip combined with downward angle of the blade makes using the entire edge length difficult. I don't know if that makes sense, it's hard to describe. I thought the design of the NC might address some of this. I have a Kapara and I feel like that knife totally nails it in this regard. When I use it I have access to the entire edge without the handle or the choil blocking some of the edge. But... the Kapara is only available in S30V and that means (not to disparage S30V) I have to touch up the edge really frequently if I want to keep it at the level of sharpness I enjoy. S90v, K390, etc.--these steels usually last me a week or two before I want to hit the Sharpmaker rods.

In practice, the biggest difference is the choil. The Endura has liners, which makes it more robust. Also, tons of aftermarket parts available. Then again, s90v is my favorite stainless steel, which speaks for the Chief. They both carry well (sans clip for me).

They are different enough that you need both, IMO :) And a Police :)

They are certainly similar in size with the "edge" given to the NC in usuable blade length.

I was referring mainly to the blade/handle design/ergos with to regard to how I think they are "entirely different" to me.

Gotcha. As above, I hadn't seen them side by side. I assumed the Chief was bigger, and was surprised they were so close, in size. They are definitely very different in many other ways though.

I picked up the native chief...
I just like the looks of the design and it seems like they are rarely in stock.

I have a VToku2 Endura that I have really only used a few times and never really bonded with. I recently ordered an Native Chief Rex45 so I'll be able to handle them side-by-side. Great pictures of the comparison by the way!

My NC Rex45 arrived and I'm finding it the first knife with a choil that really works for my hands. The forward grip really locks in and the overall ergos are better than expected. I put on a short deep pocket carry MXG Ti clip and it even feels better in the hand. On top of that it disappears in the pocket which is impressive given the size of the knife. Overall I'm very impressed!

Back