Near perfect traditional EDC knife...

Everybody's needs are different, depending on their job, location, etc; but the one that for me is "near perfect" would have to be the Churchill. The size, shape, blades, etc, just check all my boxes.
IMG_0673-X3.jpg

I'm kind of a "good enough" person when it comes to pocket knives. A rather wide range of my pocket knives fit into that category, but sometimes it depends on the expected tasks ahead. They are tools after all.

For just general utility, I find it hard to beat an alox SAK of some kind. Cadet is my #1 choice there, followed by a Pioneer or variant of the Pioneer, such as the Electrician which replaces the can-opener with a short sheepsfoot blade.

Otherwise, some variant of medium stockman with rounded bolsters is what most often makes it into my pocket. Case 6318 or 6347 are the two patterns I carry the most. I like having the utility of a straight edge as a secondary blade. If I think I might need a knife for food, I take a Case Trapper.

I am never in a situation where I am using a pocket knife around other people, but I would think that the ones listed would be minimally off-putting to those who are not used to pocket knives. I don't need a knife at work and don't carry one there, due to workplace rules. I guess that is the environment most people find themselves in where they are concerned about other people's reactions. Doesn't apply to me.

I like having the utility of a straight edge as a secondary blade. If I think I might need a knife for food, I take a Case Trapper.
jc57:

I'm trying to find a way to like my Uncle Henry trapper but I'm just not a big fan of the long spey blade on it.

Do you use your Trapper's spey blade for food and, if so, is there anything in particular in which it is excels?

Regards

Perfect for spreading peanut butter :D

I think that might be it.

The long spey is the feature of the trapper I like least, as I really don’t have a use for it. I understand the utility of a blade with a belly but without a sharp for skinning, but even back in the days when I removed the hide from small animals with some regularity a short spey (as that on a stockman) was much better suited for the task.

Then again, I’ve never skinned a beaver-sized critter before, so what do I know?

I think that might be it.

The long spey is the feature of the trapper I like least, as I really don’t have a use for it.

That's kind of where I am, too. I fish but don't hunt so using it for small game is not something I'd do.

Maybe restricting my question to food uses was too narrow. Other than small game, is there anything at all at which the long spey blade excels? :confused:

Edited to add:

Please disregard my question. I found an old thread directly on point.

Last edited:
99% of the time I use the clip point. I like to keep the spey blade considerably sharper that the general use clip point and avoid using it for hard/dirty tasks. It’s sorta like a reserve blade to me.

I started my knife journey in 1972 with a red Alox SAK, and having gone through many, many knives, I have ended up with a translucent blue SAK Climber. Only because I really like blue. For me and my needs right now, it's a good 95% 'er, as Carl would say. I do generally also carry a Spyderco lockback clipped to another pocket, I find both useful for different reasons. But if it was only 1 knife, I would go with a SAK every single time. If I go with my sentimental favorite, it would be a stockman, but I don't work on farms anymore, and the SAK is just better suited in an urban/suburban environment, IMO. YMMV.

When I'm at work, I wouldn't think of pulling a lockback out, but the SAK seems to enjoy a "breaking the rules" privilege that nobody ever questions. I work for a large company with a "no knives" policy, despite the fact that all of the mini kitchen areas in the building have 10 - 12" serrated bread knives in the drawers. Go figure. Every time some senior person retires, they have a celebration with a cake, and HR pulls the big knives out and cuts the cake in front of everyone. Us older guys chuckle at the hypocrisy. And take pictures on our phones, just in case...

I actually am amazed at how many members post about not being able to carry a knife at work. I can understand some government offices or a court house but other businesses leave me perplexed.
Me too. I am fortunate, I guess, but it is sad to see so many of the younger generation being taught that knives are bad.

Here's one that would make a near perfect edc in my opinion. 3 1/2", very slim hafting, thin blades, nice snap and all the other great qualities. It's old, with style and character; However it's for collecting only due to the condition.

IMG_4765.JPG

Another knife that is functionally very similar to the above but a little smaller at 3 3/8". The fine and long point on the clip would be quite useful. The stag is fat, which is not aesthetically pleasing to me but it offers a better grip on this smallish knife than slim stag would.

IMG_4548.JPG

Now here's one that I have used. Not very much functional difference from the other two when it comes to blade shapes and size. 3 3/8".

IMG_4552.JPG

Just read thru this thread and enjoyed the comments and choices. Thought I'd add my two cents. :)

My knife collecting began as a search for the perfect EDC. After several years and hundreds of knives, I once again remembered three things I'd learned and forgotten a few times over the years. 1) if it's in this world it's not perfect, 2) perfection is the enemy of "good enough" and 3) we are all sooooo unique, one size rarely fits all.

There are a lot of wonderful knives that can fulfill the role as an EDC. Those in the know about such things most often say, determine the use first. My goal for an EDC is to have the broadest possible use and still fit in hand and pocket comfortably. That criteria points me to SAKs, usually of the two layer persuasion; Tinkers, Pioneers, Apprentice, Evogrip 11, Executive and the ultimate EDC the Classic. All near perfect EDCs! Maybe why so many are sold year after year. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tinker
niQ5l2C.jpg

Pioneer
T51Fkli.jpg

Evogrip 11
9cXOXZl.jpg

Just read thru this thread and enjoyed the comments and choices. Thought I'd add my two cents. :)

My knife collecting began as a search for the perfect EDC. After several years and hundreds of knives, I once again remembered three things I'd learned and forgotten a few times over the years. 1) if it's in this world it's not perfect, 2) perfection is the enemy of "good enough" and 3) we are all sooooo unique, one size rarely fits all.

There are a lot of wonderful knives that can fulfill the role as an EDC. Those in the know about such things most often say, determine the use first. My goal for an EDC is to have the broadest possible use and still fit in hand and pocket comfortably. That criteria points me to SAKs, usually of the two layer persuasion; Tinkers, Pioneers, Apprentice, Evogrip 11, Executive and the ultimate EDC the Classic. All near perfect EDCs! Maybe why so many are sold year after year. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tinker
niQ5l2C.jpg

Pioneer
T51Fkli.jpg

Evogrip 11
9cXOXZl.jpg
I would have to say I carried Vic SAK's for years before being bit by the Kershaw bug. And although I carry lots of different patterns of traditionals now, IMHO the tinker is Vic's best all around carry.

I would have to say I carried Vic SAK's for years before being bit by the Kershaw bug. And although I carry lots of different patterns of traditionals now, IMHO the tinker is Vic's best all around carry.
I think I would agree with that, David. Perfect size, and I'd rather have the Phillips screwdriver than the Spartan's corkscrew.

I think I would agree with that, David. Perfect size, and I'd rather have the Phillips screwdriver than the Spartan's corkscrew.

Ah...the backside Phillips vs. corkscrew debate...

F7EF37B5-5579-411D-9F32-ED7291FF32E6.jpeg

I’m firmly in the corkscrew camp, largely because the corkscrew also holds the extremely handy micro/eyeglass screwdriver.

The can opener handles #2 Phillips screws quite well, rendering the backside Phillips driver redundant.

Others’ mileage may vary.;)

It’s hard to argue with the tinker as an edc SAK though I’d also nominate the huntsman is a possible contender. Sure it’s a bit thicker, but the scissors are great and the back of the saw work great to strike a ferro rod. It was easily my favorite SAK before I lost it.

Tinker
niQ5l2C.jpg

Pioneer
T51Fkli.jpg

Evogrip 11
9cXOXZl.jpg
I agree, except I won't buy one without a corkscrew. This is the camper, but I just got "the waiter" which is smaller and better to carry.
ZjWLSOu.jpg

But I still prefer my medium stockman for feel and aesthetic purposes.
h2M53nf.jpg

It’s hard to argue with the tinker as an edc SAK though I’d also nominate the huntsman is a possible contender. Sure it’s a bit thicker, but the scissors are great and the back of the saw work great to strike a ferro rod. It was easily my favorite SAK before I lost it.
My Dad carried the huntsman for many years, he's back to carrying a stockman now. I think mostly because he actually wore the huntsman out:eek:

Back