Neatsfoot oil ; what brand?

Hengelo_77

Basic Member
After reading on how good this oil makes leather look I like to try it.
Is any brand good? Is there a preferred one?

Last edited:
Make sure you get the neats foot Oil. The compound is the stuff you stay away from, derived from petroleum compared to the oil which comes from the shin bones of cattle. It does soften leather and like any conditioner don’t over do it.

What will overdoing it do?

To treat the inside I have been taking a sheath after I'm done and filling it up with neats foot oil like cup. Holding it upright while full for around 3 or 4 seconds and then pouring it out.

I'd be concerned you'd be getting too much absorption with that method Silas. Too much oil can over soften and make your leather spongy. it can also mottle the color and mis-shape your item.

Too much oil and the leather will be like it’s still wet with water. And you could get oil leaking out, staining clothes, leaving oily residue on handles/ blades. Also it makes the leather more likely to scratch and get damaged due to the softness of over oiled leather.

Just an idea I've been walking around with:
Cut out the leather as desired, then oil, then (hand)stitch together.
That way you can oit the inside and outside and don't have any spots you can't reach.
Would that be a good idea?

I’ve seen many pairs of boots that have had neats foot oil applied on the outside when they needed it and have lasted many many years. Kinda hard to oil the inside of them and yet they last. No need to apply oil to the flesh side.

I have watched this thread progress and there is some very good advice and some not so good. Those that suggest a very light coat on the grain side and none on the flesh side are, in my opinion, correct. It is very easy to apply too much of a good thing! Use it sparingly.

Paul

Thnx for all the advice.
So basicaly never treat (oil) the flesh side of a sheath ever?

I have found using automotive spray silicone lubricant works great on leather. Waterproofs your boots too.

Thnx for all the advice.
So basicaly never treat (oil) the flesh side of a sheath ever?
I won't claim knowledge but the folks at Sagewood say they coat the inside of their sheaths.

I did use neats foot on equine leather goods like saddles & bridles for years. It's a standard among horse people. You might also buy it as "saddle oil" which would probably have some lanolin for some water repellant qualities.

Assuming you oil in the proper sequence, before any top coat, additional dressing, or finish that would make it water resistant the oil placed on the grain side will penetrate all the way through the leather as it "levels out". No real need to oil the flesh side.......the oil is going to get there anyway. Let me clarify...that is my opinion based working leather since 1951. It is the way I do it and it works for me. Others are entitled to their opinions and methods as well.

Paul

Gotta agree with Paul. I've never oiled the inside of a sheath. Little over 16,000 sheaths now. If not oiling the inside was bad, I'd of heard about it by now. This is just a normal batch around this Rancho.

GE2IXd9.jpg

I do this about every two weeks. Each one was treated with pure neatsfoot oil on the outside and a very light coat at that. Allowed to set and then finished with BagKote. 62 in this batch if I count right.

Last edited:
Thanks, some just absorb more oil than others. Just variations in the hide. These would all of been cut from the same side. Give em a few days and they all even out.

Yeah, oiling the inside attracts grit that will adhere to and/or scratch a blade. Personal experience talking here.

Zieg

Back