Neatsfoot Oil

I've heard/read versions from just oil to partial bit of beeswax but not so much the saliva part, but, that's always handy ;)

And Ken the new place is quite handy to a lot more things, still getting use to seeing people walk by! Lived out in the country for 34 years, suburbs is definitely different! Luckily it is a quiet back street so not a lot of traffic.

G2
I've use the saliva method too, with a. Old piece of denim. But, I make sheaths for my own knives, so not to worried about a "customer" being grossed out.

I've used oven hardening to stiffen up a sheath. You have to be aware, tbough, that contact cement does not like too much heat.
I use a product called Ausie leather conditioner to darken mine. I have also used Atom Wax to add a bit of stiffening and color.

Last edited:
Thanks again, I like when the sheaths can be as compact as possible, just takes up less space on the belt and looks nice too.
G2

Got a new Lionsteel folder called the Bestman, pretty cool folder and needed a sheath to carry him about, so I did the neatsfoot oil treatment on this one as well.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Folder has a well ground blade and olive wood scales with Titanium bolsters...

IMG_7362 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
Wow Gary, I am loving the simple beauty of these creations! I wear a first try version of an oil only horizontal sheath with my Uncle Henry LB8 every day and it still retains just like it did day one, a little softer retention after the oil than I was used to but it hasn't changed and is my every day carry for about two months. It gets a few scratches on it but other than that, still good. I went and put a coat of Resolene on mine and I could use it as a mirror now. Not sure why I did that, especially now that I've seen your artwork! I wasn't happy with the belt loop so I un-stitched and reworked the belt loop with new leather and only oiled it. It is the best looking part of the sheath now!

Inspiring work!

Thanks, my goal is to try and keep things as compact as possible to take up the least amount of room on the belt and yet hold the knife securely.

You're welcome to post an image of your sheath if you'd want to, sounds like it holds the knife well.
G2

Yikes! OK, but remember this was a prototype, no finished edges, has been torn apart once to go to rev 2 on the belt loop, scrap leather pieces etc. that I use for learning, making a pattern from and now my EDC so it is already scarred from me using it. The belt strap was a piece I normally wouldn't use because it has a huge fold through it. And, try not to pay much attention to my stitching on the back side! You might not be able to eat for a while.
knife horiz sheath 1sm.jpg knife horiz sheath 2sm.jpg knife horiz sheath 3sm.jpg

And the knife, of course.
LB8sm.jpg

Nice that’s very presentable work there!
G2

Now, while I do not take on fixed blade sheath work, for several reasons, occasionally one just needs to be made, as my friend @Matthew Gregory finished up one of the cast cobalt blades from David Boye as seen in this thread at this link that I needed to make a right handed sheath to carry it and the guard was large so it required a few layers of leather to make it work right, for me at least so it was a bit thick to hand sew through but came out nice. Also did the neatsfoot oil treatment on this as well.

The knife is retained by a small arc of the welt and a shelf of leather prevents the blade from going too far, has a snug fit up and with the wider opening it makes for an easier way to return the knife to the sheath, no fussing around locating that opening to return the knife back safely.

Thanks again to Matt, it's a very nice and sharp blade of the dendritic cobalt blade from the mind of David Boye.
G2

Weaver actually makes an oil tint. Its used often by harness makers. We have some and keep some oil premixed for lighter leathers. Have not tried the dye trick.

I've wondered about trying something like that, a tincture dropped into the neatsfoot oil before application, but didn't want to run the risk of also colouring the white thread.

G2

Back