Neatsfoot Oil

That sounds like a neat trick, I may have to try that.

I tried a little scrap with russet dye and olive oil cuz that's what I have on hand. Small piece turned out quite nice.
Going to try on a larger piece soon, a collar for my axe.... stay tuned :)

Well this whole olive oil and dye thing is iffy at best.
The dye doesn't mix well with the olive oil so if it sits for a moment or two the first dip of your dauber/q-tip/towel applicator gets the lion's share of the dye giving you a dark(er) spot than the rest.
Here is the axe collar (is there a proper name for that?) after the first application
3893DA9B-82E4-4BD7-86ED-9B06FA1A007C.jpeg

You can see that I started in the top right corner of the piece. I'd say it was about an 80/20 mix, more oil than dye.
I got it to even out some with some more dye and some highlighter.
The finished piece isn't all that bad.
407E9713-A328-4C07-922B-887C7CC7A26D.jpeg

The interesting thing, to me, was that when I applied Resolene to the dyed piece very little, if any, lifted at all.
I can't wait to try this properly with neats foot oil lol

Maybe try Thousand Islands next ?
;)

End product looks good though
G2

Mixed up the last of the oil stain I had. This bottle had lasted for many years:

EwaYtAG.jpg

Two coats. Because your tinting the oil the color on the leather levels out. It will set lighter than it is now.

uvOZMOi.jpg

Two coats on this set of hobbles two days prior to the pic when I made them. They are made out of the same light harness leather as in the pic above.

estyPt6.jpg

Made a sheath for my Fox slip joint folder and used the neatsfoot treatment on there, I do love that look.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Nice cutter, zirocote wood scales and M390 blade steel make is a handy little folder. I used some elk skin for the braided leather fob and have a Viking rune bead slid on there and it is held in place by a wedge of rubberized cork so it won't slide off.

G2

Thanks Dave, that Crusader's Cross bead turned out to be a real nice embossing stamp and I am using that on a lot of projects;

And when I make my sheaths, I always put my G2 on there, along with the Month and Year and below that a Right Foot Print to remind the person when they go to put it on their belt, to always start out on their 'right footing' in all they do that day, ;)

And this one was done in May of 2020, so it has 5 . 20 on there, but that reminded me of one I made back in 2000, that I will never forget. A fellow wanted a sheath for his Sebenza, a horizontal style sheath and asked that when it arrived to him, I think he lived out west somewhere, that he wanted to give me a call as he was opening the box. I said sure that'll be fine, unusual request but he was really excited about getting it.

So, his was made also in May but in 2000 so on the back of the sheath the marking for the date was 5 . 00 and he had a friend with him as he called me as he opened the box up. He really liked the sheath as well as my packing of it, very secure. But his friend when he was looking the sheath over said '$5 for this sheath?' and his friend said 'no silly, that is the MONTH AND YEAR...not the price! why would he stamp in the price on it?' his friend just went 'oh...yeah ok'

So funny, but that reminds me that I've been making sheaths off and on for a long time now! As my work is more a cottage industry thing, not a steady flow of work as I do this after my day job and on weekends. But starting in July I hope to be retired and can devote more time to leather work and photography too.

G2

Mr. Graley, absolutely outstanding! I don't have enough words other than THANK YOU for everything you do for us, the uninitiated. I feel very fortunate to have found this spot in the BF, I'll be sticking around for a bit, might even try my hand at a sheath or two.

You are most welcome and be sure to check out the tutorials listed at the top of this forum, as there is a lot of great talent on help provided there
G2

You are most welcome and be sure to check out the tutorials listed at the top of this forum, as there is a lot of great talent on help provided there
G2
Thank you for the suggested reading, I'm already starting on that and it is indeed a treasure trove.
My time is rather limited since work interferes with my hobbies (but bills need to get payed) and in the few searches attempted I haven't found a thread in how to make a template and such. My approach was to purchase a plastic template ( before I saw the threads here) for a pancake sheath like the one in Horsewright Horsewright 's tutorial (but not as nice) and use the copier at work to enlarge the print. My goal was to make a pancake holder for my phone but by the time I got to a size that would fit my phone, it was more like a Costco pizza size:confused:. I would like to learn how to go about making my templates, I have two Buck 110's that are in need of new sheaths - one is the SKBlades Silver Fox and the other is Buck 110 Ultimate Hunter.
It would also be helpful for those of us just starting if there was a stickie thread with tools, finishes and the like. I just ordered a quart (for now) of neatsfoot oil. YouTube is a great source for information/tutorials but I'd much rather listen/see/read what you folks use since your work is so outstanding.

You’ll find some details like what you are looking for in those tutorials
One thing that I do is use plastic bubble wrap to work out the design
G2

Good information shared in this thread, thank you members and nice work G2 :thumbsup:, since I've retied I'm back working with leather, I've been experimenting with applying neatsfoot oil and I also like the look.
Like a few other posts I use our hot TX sun, I've not tried using the oven method mainly because if it's anything like when I was learning to cook and I don't cook it will probably not be safe for me :D.

Nice Frank, Texas sure has a lot of hot sunny days ! The oven thing really made a difference for me and how it turned out, I'll be working on a sheath today for my Boker folder and plan to give it the Neatsfoot oil treatment as well.
And Ebbtide, yep, those padded envelopes can be cut up to become templates and work pretty good, used them myself a time or two.
G2

As you probably noticed, I'm quite fond of this Crusader's Cross bead that I utilize as an embossing stamp, it's just so neat ;)

The knife is pretty nice slip joint with a strong back spring and nice pointy blade :)

G2

Back