Neck knife?

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi all, I'm looking for some opinions on neck knives, such as when and why you would carry and use them, how you'd carry, i.e. in our out of the shirt, how long you would string your cord (or how much clearance you leave for your head to pass through), what your ideal weight and stock thickness is, what style of knife you are most likely to neck carry, and anything else you would like to say on the topic of neck knives.

Thanks!

I have several Newt Livesay Woo knives. Carbon steel and a couple titanium.

I carried them on a dog tag chain under my shirt, over my body armor at work for many years.

Always saw them as last ditch “become a mad monkey with a spike” knives.

Don’t use P Cord or something that you will hang yourself with if it tangles when you fall (unless you weigh 560 pounds) or someone can strangle you with.

I know an Officer that wore his badge on a chain around his neck. Got in a foot chase and it flew up and chipped his front teeth.

I’d say under the shirt is a better idea.

I wouldn't want anything sharp to dangle around my neck. I can also see it getting lost or cutting me when it falls out. Just bad idea.

If you have to carry it around your neck then just put it under your shirt.

I like neck knife size, but not neck carry. Usually back pocket.

BjOcMES.jpg

For me, the main use of my knack knife in situations where I don't want to lone out my good folder but I'm wearing clothes that don't properly facilitate carrying a second one. Often times this means wearing slacks or smaller pocketed pants. Plus the neck knife being a fixed blade means it's one less thing they can break or hurt themselves with while trying to close it.

I think a drop point shape is probably best for an all around blade, and for me it needs at least a 3 finger handle. I'd say no more than a 3 inch blade at absolute max.

I agree with not using something that might choke you if it gets caught up. So I usually go with the standard chain that comes with most neck knives. I have never felt it to be uncomfortable.

The few times I've chosen neck carry is usually when I don't have something with pockets or I don't want to reach below my waist to grab something, such as climbing a ladder and cutting stuff off the side of my house or a tree. I always carried under a shirt until I needed it and I was going to be in a place for a little working.

My knife of choice right now for such a thing is a mora classic, plenty of blade to get a lot done, lightweight, flat-ish after a little sanding of the wood handle, and cheap enough I don't care if it gets misplaced.

I watched a few bushcraft videos a long time ago when I started getting into it of some old timer using a neck knife a lot around camp where squatting and working on stuff was common, like shelter building. The knife was roughly a 3" bladed puukko with a puukko looking sheath that was tied behind his neck. I'm not sure if he carried it away from camp but I can see where a carving/neck knife sized blade would be really nice in this carry method if that's what you chose to do.

I never got on with it real well with the two exceptions. When I don't have pants or shorts with pockets I rarely carry a fixed blade but that was one solution I found that worked well enough. Mostly, I find it uncomfortable to have something scratching my chest while walking around a lot and I would rather carry a hip bag or fanny pack than neck carry most of the time if working in shorts.

I've never tried neck carry in the winter, it's always been a summer thing for me.

I only have one “neck knife” and it goes in my pants pocket, haha. Neck knives in the 2.5” to 3.5” blade length range make for great fixed blade EDC. They vanish in the pocket and are usually more discreet or sheeple-friendly than large folders. The ESEE Izula is a simple but elegant design.

I can see the advantages of neck knives. You can hide it under your shirt and lax security folks may be less likely to frisk your chest (I don’t condone breaking the law), it’s a simple system that keeps a blade on you even if you’re naked. But in general, it’s not for me.

If I were to go with this setup, I’d want the knife to rest on my solar plexus area. Not too high or too low. Whatever my lashing system is, there should be an emergency release or an intentional “weak link.” Not saying someone’s gonna strangle you, but if your neck knife doodad gets caught up on some machinery or something, you better be able to break free fast. For comfort’s sake, I’d prefer to keep the knife under 4 ounces and under a centimeter thick. If you can’t carry it comfortably for any decent amount of time, it’s probably not good as a neck knife.

I'm a traditional knife kind of guy which means I don't do one handed folders, when I want a one handed blade it's a small utilitarian belt knife or neck knife.
Neck knives have gott be extra small, and I do not put it under my shirt.
Under my shirt would be illegal for me anyways, but under my shirt I can't easily get to it.

It's just a small utilitarian blade that's handy, that's it
No self defense or anything.

Last edited:
Definitely a ball chain for carry! Break force required wont kill you! I also added an ulti-clip. I use it so there is no swinging around, just clip a little shirt in it and it stays relatively still and you can always pocket or IWB or OWB carry with the ulti-clip!!IMG_20200222_110440.jpg IMG_20200222_110419.jpg

They are good to attach places like inside a strap for a purse or messenger bag.

You can use a longer cord diagonal under one arm. Not around the neck.

I saw one guy who would make a figure eight out of cord. Pass an arm through each hole like a vest and carried one knife under each arm.

Definitely a ball chain for carry! Break force required wont kill you! I also added an ulti-clip. I use it so there is no swinging around, just clip a little shirt in it and it stays relatively still and you can always pocket or IWB or OWB carry with the ulti-clip!!View attachment 1369577 View attachment 1369578
Beautiful Picolomako there. Perfect for cracking open a cold one, haha.

Last edited:
Beautiful Picolomako there. Perfect for cracking open a cold one, hana.

It's definitely a cool little blade. I haven't opened a cold one for myself in 26 years. I was given a t-shirt by a friend that said it all, " INSTANT ASSHOLE--JUST ADD ALCOHOL" "!! So all these years later I still remind myself that every morning!!

I have no problem, opening one for someone else though!!

Last edited:
I should also add that I like to use the neck chain around the belt as a means of pocket or waistband carry. Horsewright has one called the buckaroo sheath I believe but I've always done it with kydex after seeing the CRKT obake.

At around 0:50. I don't loop the chain/cord around the belt like in the video but do a lark's head instead. I also learned that from the bushcraft video I mentioned earlier where the guy uses a traditional neck knife and carries it in various ways with the leather strings.

larks-head-knotB.jpg

Hi all, I'm looking for some opinions on neck knives, such as when and why you would carry and use them, how you'd carry, i.e. in our out of the shirt, how long you would string your cord (or how much clearance you leave for your head to pass through), what your ideal weight and stock thickness is, what style of knife you are most likely to neck carry, and anything else you would like to say on the topic of neck knives. Thanks!

Well, that's a lot of questions there ! But it's a thorough approach and I have a serious answer (opinion) for all of them !

When ? All the time. It's the first knife I take up in the morning and the last I put down when I go to sleep.
Why ? I like to always have a knife on me. The necker is the solution, IMO.
Use ? To cut anything that can be managed with a smaller blade (99 % of my cutting tasks nowadays can be managed with a necker).
Carry ? In shirt (when I wear a shirt). I agree it's rather a summer thing. In winter, I have enough pockets to carry all the knives I want. And I don't see the practicality of rummaging around in your clothes to take out a knife.
Length of string ? I like the loop to be long enough that the knife can be drawn easily (handle at stomach height, more or less).
Clearance for the head ? Easy to put on without scraping the nose or brushing off the glasses.
Weight ? As light as possible. In my experience, 3.5 oz (100 grams) would be the maximum for comfortable carry all day long.
Stock ? Thin. I have no need for prying bar thickness on a necker. So, around 1/12" (depending on grind and length) would be perfect.
Style ? A versatile blade (any drop point, clip point or upswept pattern) and a slim, flattish handle.

I'd like to add that the sheath is of the greatest importance. The knife should be relatively easy to draw but, most of all, the retaining action must be totally reliable. You don't want to loose your knife, or worse, puncture your gut.

I havent found a huge use for a neck knife, tbh. I have carried my Tops Ferret around my neck at the beach and plan to do so again. Its a bit heavy and the carbon steel doesn't like the salt water without some protective measures, but it's stout and handy. Gives me a useful blade on my person when I dont otherwise have a pocket to carry one in.

Does anyone else wear chains with pendants as well as a neck knife? I can’t imagine wearing a neck knife, and my Deadringer chain/skull pendant, the only jewelry I wear aside from my wedding ring. I’d think the knife/sheath would scuff up an expensive piece of jewelry.

I wear only a small silver "grazing horse" as a pendant, on a leather string. Everyday, like the necker. Small scuffs and superficial wear may happen. I consider them marks of life and love...

Wow, thanks a lot for all the great replies, I'm learning a lot here!

I used to neck carry a CRKT Minimalist on the neck and one in the pocket, then I lost one, and the other eventually it ended up in my pocket anyway, then in a drawer and finally in another person's hands. I'm not entirely sure why I got away from it. I like the idea of a neck knife, especially with the great recommendation of using a ball chain for safety. I always felt more comfortable with it concealed, or felt less like people were staring at me, anyway.

I think part of what got me away from it was the thought that if I had to use it I would always be digging around under my clothes to both take it out and put it back, and I prefer to have both tasks be one handed if possible, hence my gravitation to pocket or belt knives. But the usefulness and comfort of always having a neck knife available is something I never forgot and has been on my mind more, especially now that I am making knives full time, and considering my potential offerings.

Those who keep an eye out for neck knives, I'd like to go further and ask what neck knives stand out in your mind as excellent examples, and what do they excel at, and what could they do better? Also what are examples that are marketed as neck knives that might seem good on the surface, but absolutely fail in practice, and why?

lark's head

larks-head-knotB.jpg

Awesome! I've used this knot an awful lot, and never knew what it was called; thanks for that!

Back