Neck knives

What's the general thought on these?

For those whom may be into this sort of thing, do you EDC one? What do you have?

I recently bought a few, awaiting the most recent online order. I first bought the SOG Snarl. Hate it passionately! Haven't figured out what I'm going to do with it: keep as a backpack backup, repurpose it with the included belt clip, try to do a YouTube torture test somehow, or just throw it away as the POS I've found it to be so far. I really wanted to like it, as I truly do like 9Cr18MoV. But it's way too thick of a spine with an atrociously steep angle, rendering it useless to me. I should've known better, but I'm impulsive.

The one I like, the Kershaw AM-6, 8Cr13MoV. Acceptable steel, small, light weight and thin, but I'm not a fan of the sheath system or the "handle". Still, it's not bad and, push come to shove, I'd be happy with it in the end.

The one I've ordered and am waiting on, the Fred Perrin Mini-Pic. Is even lighter than the AM-6, smaller in some dimensions and a little larger in others, but overall seems like a decent option, and in a better (IMO) steel, 440C.

Just curious if there's others I should be considering, taken all this into account. To me a neck knife is just a backup to my primary knife at work, and a backup to the backup to my primary daily carry outside work. It will likely see little to no use. It's not even remotely for self defense.

Anyway, thanks all.

What's the general thought on these?

For those whom may be into this sort of thing, do you EDC one? What do you have?

I recently bought a few, awaiting the most recent online order. I first bought the SOG Snarl. Hate it passionately! Haven't figured out what I'm going to do with it: keep as a backpack backup, repurpose it with the included belt clip, try to do a YouTube torture test somehow, or just throw it away as the POS I've found it to be so far. I really wanted to like it, as I truly do like 9Cr18MoV. But it's way too thick of a spine with an atrociously steep angle, rendering it useless to me. I should've known better, but I'm impulsive.

The one I like, the Kershaw AM-6, 8Cr13MoV. Acceptable steel, small, light weight and thin, but I'm not a fan of the sheath system or the "handle". Still, it's not bad and, push come to shove, I'd be happy with it in the end.

The one I've ordered and am waiting on, the Fred Perrin Mini-Pic. Is even lighter than the AM-6, smaller in some dimensions and a little larger in others, but overall seems like a decent option, and in a better (IMO) steel, 440C.

Just curious if there's others I should be considering, taken all this into account. To me a neck knife is just a backup to my primary knife at work, and a backup to the backup to my primary daily carry outside work. It will likely see little to no use. It's not even remotely for self defense.

Anyway, thanks all.

If you liked the Sog Snarl shape but found it too thick try a Fred Perrin La Griffe or even smaller Le Shark. Just be warned they are chisel ground.

Personally I love my two versions of the knife the Snarl is designed after, the Brous Silent Soldier.

Clockwise from top left; Perrin La Griffe, Perrin Trifolder (not a neck knife), Brous Silent Soldier v2, Brous Silent Soldier Ranger, Spartan Enyo and Perrin Le Shark.

ll8T3Fw.jpg

If you liked the Sog Snarl shape but found it too thick try a Fred Perrin La Griffe or even smaller Le Shark. Just be warned they are chisel ground.

Personally I love my two versions of the knife the Snarl is designed after, the Brous Silent Soldier.

Clockwise from top left; Perrin La Griffe, Perrin Trifolder (not a neck knife), Brous Silent Soldier v2, Brous Silent Soldier Ranger, Spartan Enyo and Perrin Le Shark.

ll8T3Fw.jpg

Thank you for your time and response.

Actually I really dislike the Snarl shape. I think that's what is known as sheep's foot?

I like flat grind pretty much solely, for EDC. On fixed knives I'm good with hollow, Scandi, etc, almost anything, but on small knives/folders I like thin with minimal flare to the spine.

I don't think I will like chisel, but if it's thin then I will definitely like it much more than the Snarl. Again, that steep angle just renders it useless for me. I looked at the Le Griffe, just bigger and more spendy than I wanted for trying something out, but not bad. I will have to have a deeper look at some of those you've pictured. Thanks again!

I heavily considered the Le Griffe in carbon fiber, because of weight, but in the end decided against due to size. I may circle back to it though, at some point, for consideration again.

Thank you for your time and response.

Actually I really dislike the Snarl shape. I think that's what is known as sheep's foot?

I like flat grind pretty much solely, for EDC. On fixed knives I'm good with hollow, Scandi, etc, almost anything, but on small knives/folders I like thin with minimal flare to the spine.

I don't think I will like chisel, but if it's thin then I will definitely like it much more than the Snarl. Again, that steep angle just renders it useless for me. I looked at the Le Griffe, just bigger and more spendy than I wanted for trying something out, but not bad. I will have to have a deeper look at some of those you've pictured. Thanks again!

I heavily considered the Le Griffe in carbon fiber, because of weight, but in the end decided against due to size. I may circle back to it though, at some point, for consideration again.

Be warned the carbon fibre la griffe is literally completely carbon fibre. The blade is not steel. It is not a true knife for edc.

Check out the CRKT SPEW and Minimalist. The SPEW I prefer but the minimalist comes in several blade shapes and is a well loved neck knife. Both are quite thin blades.

Last edited:
I have a Bud Nealy Aikuchi that I've carried for years around my neck. It is a nice design, a good working size, and lightweight.

I felt the same way about chisel grinds... then I bought a White River Knucklehead and loved it. Been trying neck knives on and off for years (esee, bk&t, brous...) and none did it for me til the knucklehead. Great ergos, super light, generous amount of cutting area due to the blade shape, razor sharp, and s30v steel all for a great price. Excellent customer service over there too!

My latest is the White River Backpacker Pro in orange G-10. I just got it and think I'm going to really like it. Have a number of sub-4 inch knives which generally speaking are the neck knives. For most of us, a neck knife with a sheath you like is all you need. But big knives have their place too.

As far as using goes, I do not like to carry a "neck knife" on some sort of lanyard around my neck except when I am kayaking.

IMG_0011.JPG This Boker is a nice carry and I can actually use this as a neck knife and be comfortable.
The Izula and BK14 are excellent too but they get carried on my belt or on my bag.

The snarl is tacticool.
It does seem like a tactical back up more than anything.
All i can say is that in a neck knife, the weight matters.
As does the length when worn.
Also the handle should offer a secure grip
If a knife is to be held with different grips effectively.
Taking into consideration all these and quite likely
to go with the best compromise;
I think the esse ant is not too bad a choice.

I think they have a place but I can see not everyone liking to carry one. I carry a Hinderer Flashpoint every week day under my military uniform top. I hardly know it’s there and I have easy access to it through the bottom of the untucked top. I also carry it or a Chris Reeve Professional Solider while hiking or on my motorcycle. Those are the only times I carry a neck knife.

i.ashx

Yeah, I'm just going to stick with what I've got, honestly. I love my Kershaw AM-6. It's not perfect and the cutting surface area is tiny, but it suits me, the steel is fine for a backup to the backup, and I forget it's even there daily when wearing. I'll keep the Snarl around in the bug out bag or something.

Thanks fellas!

I was comparing my BK-14 and BK-24 to my new White River Backpacker Pro. My general feeling is that both of the Kabar Beckers are over built for the kind of role that a small fixed blade is used for. Weight matters especially if you carry the knife around your neck on a lanyard.

By the same token, I think the little Gerber River Shorty which I carry on my PFD when I kayak has a thick stainless steel for a reason.... potential prying in an emergency.

Back