Necker challenge

490-02.jpg

490-03.jpg

Knife is serial number 490.

Steel is 1084, nominally 1/8 inch thick. Full oil quench, full oven temper, and a visible differential temper. Grind is convex, fairly high. Sharpening is easiest by loaded strop.

Handle is wenge with blue spacers, stainless tubing pins. Handle is slightly distressed. Wenge has a softer and harder grain structure and can be wire brushed after sanding to provide a variation in the grain for gription.

Overall, on a square, the length is 7 inches.

Blade design is done with a well tipped caping point and a full belly. For me, this works very well for all sorts of tasks, and the blade is broad enough to choke up on. Filework is done along most of the spine for easy thumbramp use.

The sheath is waterformed leather, harness stitched. Sheath is finished with a beeswax boil and should prove to be secure. Due to the nature of the blade shape, you have to be a bit careful until you get used to it with feeling it into the sheath.

The sheath is set up as shipped for vertical- handle up- carry. This is how I prefer to carry. Holes and cordage are provided for adding a retaining section to the belt for armpit carry. Holes are also provided to rig for inverted carry. The neck cord is adjustable. Feel free to rearrange as the testers like- the set up of cordage for a necker is highly personal and I like to provide plenty of options.

A small section is included for a lanyard if desired. I STRONGLY resist lanyards on neckers as it is a negative safety issue in carrying the knife, ESPECIALLY inverted.

The cordage is "220" paracord. Thinner than standard 550, but still has sections inside that can be stripped out for bushcrafting use.

That's it. It's pretty, let's hope it lives up to the potential.

now it is all waiting on the results. I figure I'm running a bit contrary to what i know the challenge involves- less EDC and more camping/wilderness oriented.

The sweep of that edge is beautiful but on a personal preference I have always liked a straight spine or spearpoint for my use. I DID start out on deer with a Sharpfinger so I totally appreciate the design :)
I am looking forward to trying out the combination of drop/straight spine on the GBB...
Bill

I can't read the results for some reason- Koyote for the win?

I can't read the results for some reason- Koyote for the win?

yep. I beat Rick by a point. Or a tenth, or whatever it is. And beating up on Rick is what it's all about!!! :D

Seriously, I am surprised. I figured Rick and Bruce and I would sort of float around together, but that doesn't necessarily mean the top three, and I'm surprised to win overall!

There's a half dozen knives in there that I definitely think have potential in terms of new makers.

Alright! Congrats!

Yeah, beating that Marchand character is gold...there's something just not right about that man... ;):eek::D

lol!

After 12-13 years working as a social worker in the HIV/AIDS world- I heard more about the sex lives of more people than I can remember and it takes an awful lot to get on my radar. Rick can post something that even I think is kinda special!

Congrats to you too Mr. Marchand! Six months ago I had a HUGE interview and so thought I had it...my gift to self was gonna be a Wildertool. Didn't happen...damn Dept of State! :grumpy:

I'll get one someday...:thumbup:

Congrats Christof! Beautiful knife as always. I figured one of you three would win!

Okay, it's back in my hands and all refreshed (stropped). Now I have to dispose of it......

Back