necks knifes

Thin and light. I'm fond of the Spyderco Swick series which has the added benefit of still being able to use both hands while retaining the knife (due to the choil/handle finger hole). I also like the little CRKT Folts Minimalists because...small and light.

I rarely carry a neck knife, but boating is a good case for one, especially kayaking where you must remain sitting, and access to pockets can be difficult.

Neck knives aren't bad for a concealed backup either. Under the shirt, out of the way, hidden. But that's not exactly EDC friendly for access.

what do you like in a neck knife? Do you even neck knife?
I never wear neck knives around my neck. They are usually of a good size for throwing.
I’m not very good at throwing knives but continue to throw them anyhow.
EDC always goes in upside down. I think that’s because of it’s “humped” design.

A nice straight false-edge dagger design with a center groove to make it more CPKish, would make for a good neck knife... or boot knife.

When I carry a "neck knife", it's generally in my pocket. Not a fan of dangling, swinging sheaths...and putting it under a(n over)shirt or jacket removes the convenience.
I've got a couple that I like enough to have have sheaths made for, to allow for belt carry when I'm so inclined.

I carried one for a year or so, just to really get used to it, though I never stopped carrying a pocket knife. It is fairly convenient if worn outside of one’s shirt. I wasn’t keen on wearing it outside my shirt in public, and really didn’t like wearing it under my shirt. Having to dig it out, not to mention getting it sweaty when it was hot out really didn’t thrill me. It really came down to me not liking stuff around, and swinging from, my neck, so no more.

I kind of like the design of the ornate little neck knives that William Henry makes, but again, just don’t think I’d be comfortable wearing something around my neck (and I guess, no amount of jewelry is going to cover up my nerdiness). Mike

I had one and it was cool but I ended up selling it. I did like it to throw in my daypack or athletic shorts though. The one I had was a hinderer and the handle wasn’t very easy to hold when cutting and I felt the blade grind was too thick for its size. If I was to get a new one I would prefer to try one with some beefier handles and thinner grind. I don’t want to knock the hinderer too much though. It wasn’t a bad knife and I probably would have gotten used to it if I had kept it longer.

Sorry Lorien, do you mean as an EDC? Neck carry as a hidden last ditch knife- that concept I can understand. Dont think anyone I know carries it as an EDC. Too inconvenient.
Case study of one: Been through a lot of blades and handles of different sizes for in pocket carry. Any blade, which has a less than 4 finger grip, I have difficulty getting hold of in a hurry. And if you happen to have gloves on......

I don't need a neck knife. But I would like one...likely slim and light and white...that my wife could/would wear when she travels out of state to see her daughters.
It cannot have a "keeper" or tab-release like on the Spyderco ARK, as my wife says she would never be able to push that tab to release it when under fear and terror. Good point. Just a simple friction yank to release it.
Fully-serrated probably does more damage, and under bad conditions, that's a good thing.
It has to be slim in the grip, but it should have a grip (a woman needs scales) and they should be white so they won't show under her blouse or "top."
Design one that an older, slim woman can use effectively, and you'll have my vote, my thanks and my money.

Sonnydaze Sonnydaze for the scenario that you describe, will probably take way too long for her to get at the knife from under her top(potentially requiring the use of both her hands). If neck carry is the only option ,then maybe over her top is better
Things to consider:
1. Exposed handle length: i.e handle length that is available to grab at when the knife is sheathed(the more the better)
2. double edge is better
3. Weight: more chances of carrying if it is lightweight
4. deep finger choil/guard
5. very grippy handle- thin scales aggressively textured, paracord or if the handle is naked , it has to have that 'uneven rocky' finish
Hmmm now that I think about it, do women in this forum carry a knife everywhere? Is it available for quick access?

there are a few oft repeated characteristics required for a good neck knife, so that's baked in.

Here are some takeaways so far for me from your comments;

-pocket carry is an important option to incorporate into the design
-there are two schools of thought wrt intended use; defensive and utilitarian
-the utilitarian approach to neck carry describes boating and backpacking as the main activities that benefit
-the defensive approach to neck carry describes a last ditch option, since access during concealed carry is limited
-concealed carry severely limits access while open carry provides very easy access

keep em coming

the only time I ever actually wear a neck knife as a neck knife was river rafting (which was a one time try it got in the way) ... and I will occasionally put one on as I set up camp ... it's just convenient if I need to make an extra tent peg or cut some cordage. But as an EDC ... I think there are so many better options I would not use one for EDC.

giphy.gif

I'm not makin a fukin neck knife

Back