Recommendation? Need a #600 stone.

Ok. I was reading about stones and their available grits... I need a new 600 grit stone.
Diamond?
Aluminum Oxide?
Ceramic?
I know that diamond cut fast but I didn't try o see they finish on blades ate 600 around grit.
Aluminum Oxide as I read cuts slowly but leave a more uniform finishing.
Ceramic I had one and the 650 grit looks like thousands grit. It almost polish the blade.
So witch material leaves a better/uniform/smooth/beauty finish if I finish with a #600 stone?
Any other material that I don't know?
Thanks.

Grit isn't the same between companies. Try to find micron ratings. But what I do anymore is either do my initial coarse work either on a belt grinder or on diamond. I have atoma 140 to the I think it is 1200. Then I move to waterstones starting at 1000 grit shapton pro to either 2000 grit finish or then go to 5000 and then 8000. I ra rely go to 15k unless I am just wanting to have fun. But I couldn't find any coare waterstones I liked

Before the stone we must know the steel being sharpened. With modern steels it's not as simple as saying "that'll work". Many modern steels have very hard carbides which require harder abrasives and without them sharpening can be a struggle.

A DMT fine diamond bench stone is 600grit and is one of my favorite sharpening stones. Affordable and very capable. Most of the time its the only stone I use before hitting the strop.

Before the stone we must know the steel being sharpened. With modern steels it's not as simple as saying "that'll work". Many modern steels have very hard carbides which require harder abrasives and without them sharpening can be a struggle.
Well, the most hard steel I have is S30V
I was looking for DMT or a cheaper option for me was Taidea 600 corundum (AlO) but they don't say 600 jis1998 or fepa-P in example. Where I live sandpaper comes written P-600 so this is my start point and I assume is Fepa-P.
Now looking for this chart I guess I'm looking for something around 25 microns.
MBxvh2Y.png

I'm biased, of course, but the Arctic Fox stones are equivalent to a JIS 700 and folks have been enjoying them quite a bit. :)

I'm biased, of course, but the Arctic Fox stones are equivalent to a JIS 700 and folks have been enjoying them quite a bit. :)
I really need to get one of your arctic fox stones. I always forget to order one until right after I order another diamond plate or waterstone. I would actually like to order one of everything you offer lol.

Back