Need a good knife steel

Hello guys i have some money i can spend on a knife, all my knives lose an edge and chip 20dps microbevels all the time..
So now i want to buy knife with high quality steel edc probably that will keep an edge in normal tasks. I don’t need stainless i need hard! Thanks in advance and btw i sharpen at low angles like 15dps and like them sharp and polished! I am opened to knife and steel suggestions.

What tasks, what's your budget, fixed or folder? What do you use for sharpening? Etc

Cruewear might be a good option.

I have to wonder why your getting chips all the time. Something is wrong.

Also you may want to move this thread to general knife discussion.

Last edited:
What tasks, what's your budget, fixed or folder? What do you use for sharpening? Etc

Cruewear might be a good option.

I have to wonder why your getting chips all the time. Something is wrong.

Also you may want to move this thread to general knife discussion.
Chips are on my 14x6steel knife folder i use lansky system. What do you do with ur edc cutting boxes rope a fruit sometimes idc nothing heavy i more need a steel coice for hunting knife as well

I love good knife steels, especially low to mid alloy carbon steels. That is to say, everything from 1095 thru CPM M4. With that said, the actual steel itself is a distant 3rd in the ranking of what makes a good knife. A distant 4th if you include handle/ergonomics. First is geometry (is the blade thin enough to cut well, or do I need a thick knife?). Second is heat treatment (buy a knife from a maker/manufacturer that has a good HT reputation. most of the well known and established companies do a good job). 3rd would be the actual steel (or how well it feels in hand). That is my 2 cents. Like Roman Landes, German metallurgist and knife maker once said, "Geometry cuts. Heat treatment determines how long".

I love good knife steels, especially low to mid alloy carbon steels. That is to say, everything from 1095 thru CPM M4. With that said, the actual steel itself is a distant 3rd in the ranking of what makes a good knife. A distant 4th if you include handle/ergonomics. First is geometry (is the blade thin enough to cut well, or do I need a thick knife?). Second is heat treatment (buy a knife from a maker/manufacturer that has a good HT reputation. most of the well known and established companies do a good job). 3rd would be the actual steel (or how well it feels in hand). That is my 2 cents. Like Roman Landes, German metallurgist and knife maker once said, "Geometry cuts. Heat treatment determines how long".
Thanks for the information!

CPM CRU-WEAR
Z-Wear
CPM M4
CPM 4V

Any of these can support 62HRC or higher and can handle these edge angles you like. And all have very good edge holding and pretty respectable toughness.

Spyderco Pm2’s in cruwear sometimes come up for sale on the exchange and are a pretty good example of a tough, great edge holding and easy to sharpen. Sharpmaker is easier to use than lansky system, because there’s no attaching pins and flipping the knife etc, just insert the rods and sharpen.

Back