1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Need a little help choosing my next Spydie

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Tdhurl1103, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Tdhurl1103

Tdhurl1103

Dec 6, 2012
    I'm thinking of another Spydie, but I'm having difficulty choosing. I've been shopping around, plus perusing the catalog for the last few days. I'm in a crux, and need some help. I can't decide.

First thins first: Let's get the inevitable counter-question out of the way before we go any further: "I'm going to use for whatever I need it for."

Here is my parameters:

Money to spend: $140-$150

I already have a PM2, Double Bevel, Sage 1 and a Persistence. Not really interested in duplicating anything with the exception of a PM2. I'd get a second one, but I want to see what else is out there, or is recommended first.

2. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88

Dec 3, 2015
    Yojimbo 2, Manix2, GB2, or Mantra

3. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Spyderco Military is in your price range.
    Looks like the Spyderco Tatanka can be had for $20 more than your price range at some places.

Yojimbo 2 is pretty great too; not too big for carry in many places. :)

4. winnerone23

winnerone23

Feb 16, 2012
    Native 5, Stretch, Manix 2, Yojimbo 2

I have a few PM2's, couple Manix 2 and Stretch's. Plus a whole raft of other's.

I got a Native 5 CF/s110v a week or so ago and haven't taken it out of my pocket since. Sold a blk/blk PM2 and my yojimbo 2, since. I wouldn't do without the others, but, I'm liking it! Just my 0.2$

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  5. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    My dad has one of those.
    It's a well-made knife too. :thumbup:

6. ShepardCC

ShepardCC

Dec 4, 2012
    Manix 2 S110v, Stretch, Yojimbo 2, P'Kal.
    Ive seen a few Southards going for real cheap in the for sale section. 160-180. Great great knife. I'd say go for that. Let me know if you need some custom scales for them ;)

7. winnerone23

winnerone23

Feb 16, 2012
    That it is! A few PM2 comparison shots..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have some from a Chaparral, Sage 1, and the Native, as well..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. NjMS

NjMS

Feb 8, 2016
    I haven't got mine yet in hand but I have similar knives to you and my latest order was a Manix 2 lightweight in S110V.

9. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    I'd probably give the Mantra a go.

10. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Love my Manix 2. Also, love my Native 5 in S90V that is still on closeout on Spyderco website.

11. Tdhurl1103

Tdhurl1103

Dec 6, 2012
    Funny thing, my wife was just looking at my Spyderco Catalog and said, "You need some bigger knives. You have a ton of small ones." She suggested a second PM2. The Military, Mantra and GB2 are just a bit outside my price range. At least from what I have seen that's available. The Dark Earth PM2 is about 5 bucks outside it as well.:(

12. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Go figure, when my girlfriend saw my Manix 2 and PM2 she said what do you need a knife that big for?

13. winnerone23

winnerone23

Feb 16, 2012
    I guess I'm lucky.. Mine just "loves" me so much, she doesn't say anything! Lol..
    She's just glad I have something to do with my time, that doesn't include touching her... Baahahahaha..

14. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    Take a cruise down the Big River, if you know what I mean. ;)

15. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88

Dec 3, 2015
    Lol!!

16. sharpdentist

sharpdentist

Aug 28, 2015
    Native 5

17. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Could get a Delica plus an Endura: no knife collection is a collection without both.

Another single knife option not mentioned is the G10 Police 3.

18. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    I love the fit and finish of my Native 5. Maybe a good option.

,,,Mike in Canada

19. ZuluKilo

ZuluKilo

Apr 28, 2012
    As Officer mentioned, the Police would be a large choice right in the middle of your budget. :D I wanted to mention that earlier but my work terminal wasn't having dealings with the forum at that time!!! :thumbdn:

I too would personally lean towards a multiple blade purchase. If you haven't tried a 'staple' Spyderco (Endura/Delica/Stretch/Dfly) you're missing out on what's made Spyderco Spyderco. IMO. You've got the current and future HAP40 releases as well as the standard VG10/ZDP offerings to pick from...so many color and feature combinations to choose from, just with those four models.

How about a Starmate or a Ulize? Those could likely be found within your price range.

Lastly, I would say to give a SE H1 blade a go if you never have. I was skeptical about the merits of a SE within my own system for a long time, but a buddy of mine 'never gave up' trying to convince me and now a SE H1 knife of some sort is always on my person...whether it be a small Ladybug Hawkbill all the way up to my serrated Aqua Salt. In between those you could pick up a Tasman, Salt 1 or Pacific Salt.

In short, if you considered a combination purchase, you could really expand the capabilities and variety of your collection.

20. Tdhurl1103

Tdhurl1103

Dec 6, 2012
    Thanks all for the suggestions so far.

ZK, I've had two Enduras with SE VG10, and although they were very tough and served me well, I hated the SE. Since that time I've stayed away from SE and partial SE from any maker. It's just my thing, has nothing to do with Spyderco specifically.

At this time I'm considering:

PM2
    Military
    Yojimbo 2
    Salt

I have been exploring the multiple knives aspect as well here. I'm interested in the Byrd in this regard, specifically the Raven 2.