Need a little help choosing my next Spydie

I'm thinking of another Spydie, but I'm having difficulty choosing. I've been shopping around, plus perusing the catalog for the last few days. I'm in a crux, and need some help. I can't decide.

First thins first: Let's get the inevitable counter-question out of the way before we go any further: "I'm going to use for whatever I need it for."

Here is my parameters:

Money to spend: $140-$150

I already have a PM2, Double Bevel, Sage 1 and a Persistence. Not really interested in duplicating anything with the exception of a PM2. I'd get a second one, but I want to see what else is out there, or is recommended first.

Spyderco Military is in your price range.
Looks like the Spyderco Tatanka can be had for $20 more than your price range at some places.

Yojimbo 2 is pretty great too; not too big for carry in many places. :)

Native 5, Stretch, Manix 2, Yojimbo 2

I have a few PM2's, couple Manix 2 and Stretch's. Plus a whole raft of other's.

I got a Native 5 CF/s110v a week or so ago and haven't taken it out of my pocket since. Sold a blk/blk PM2 and my yojimbo 2, since. I wouldn't do without the others, but, I'm liking it! Just my 0.2$

Last edited:
Manix 2 S110v, Stretch, Yojimbo 2, P'Kal.
Ive seen a few Southards going for real cheap in the for sale section. 160-180. Great great knife. I'd say go for that. Let me know if you need some custom scales for them ;)

My dad has one of those.
It's a well-made knife too. :thumbup:
That it is! A few PM2 comparison shots..
2446829a749e044021b0fa60d07c38b7.jpg

138afd18ff8095ab1ffa0b306822e783.jpg

fa90e79263319056a49c4a04dc4c880b.jpg

c3383383f173fc8d7d291e86ff5bd7c5.jpg

I have some from a Chaparral, Sage 1, and the Native, as well..
5c78f639dbf96693c88a09471957f114.jpg

b2789c009e9b5babc7f1a896194dbe38.jpg

6c8b1220ae1bb9b420fa6b0f98e75035.jpg

2b7de3cf20b4b871ea6a08640355be45.jpg

I haven't got mine yet in hand but I have similar knives to you and my latest order was a Manix 2 lightweight in S110V.

Love my Manix 2. Also, love my Native 5 in S90V that is still on closeout on Spyderco website.

Funny thing, my wife was just looking at my Spyderco Catalog and said, "You need some bigger knives. You have a ton of small ones." She suggested a second PM2. The Military, Mantra and GB2 are just a bit outside my price range. At least from what I have seen that's available. The Dark Earth PM2 is about 5 bucks outside it as well.:(

Funny thing, my wife was just looking at my Spyderco Catalog and said, "You need some bigger knives. You have a ton of small ones." She suggested a second PM2.(

Go figure, when my girlfriend saw my Manix 2 and PM2 she said what do you need a knife that big for?

I guess I'm lucky.. Mine just "loves" me so much, she doesn't say anything! Lol..
She's just glad I have something to do with my time, that doesn't include touching her... Baahahahaha..

Funny thing, my wife was just looking at my Spyderco Catalog and said, "You need some bigger knives. You have a ton of small ones." She suggested a second PM2. The Military, Mantra and GB2 are just a bit outside my price range. At least from what I have seen that's available. The Dark Earth PM2 is about 5 bucks outside it as well.:(

Take a cruise down the Big River, if you know what I mean. ;)

Could get a Delica plus an Endura: no knife collection is a collection without both.

Another single knife option not mentioned is the G10 Police 3.

I love the fit and finish of my Native 5. Maybe a good option.

,,,Mike in Canada

Could get a Delica plus an Endura: no knife collection is a collection without both.

Another single knife option not mentioned is the G10 Police 3.

As Officer mentioned, the Police would be a large choice right in the middle of your budget. :D I wanted to mention that earlier but my work terminal wasn't having dealings with the forum at that time!!! :thumbdn:

I too would personally lean towards a multiple blade purchase. If you haven't tried a 'staple' Spyderco (Endura/Delica/Stretch/Dfly) you're missing out on what's made Spyderco Spyderco. IMO. You've got the current and future HAP40 releases as well as the standard VG10/ZDP offerings to pick from...so many color and feature combinations to choose from, just with those four models.

How about a Starmate or a Ulize? Those could likely be found within your price range.

Lastly, I would say to give a SE H1 blade a go if you never have. I was skeptical about the merits of a SE within my own system for a long time, but a buddy of mine 'never gave up' trying to convince me and now a SE H1 knife of some sort is always on my person...whether it be a small Ladybug Hawkbill all the way up to my serrated Aqua Salt. In between those you could pick up a Tasman, Salt 1 or Pacific Salt.

In short, if you considered a combination purchase, you could really expand the capabilities and variety of your collection.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far.

ZK, I've had two Enduras with SE VG10, and although they were very tough and served me well, I hated the SE. Since that time I've stayed away from SE and partial SE from any maker. It's just my thing, has nothing to do with Spyderco specifically.

At this time I'm considering:

PM2
Military
Yojimbo 2
Salt

I have been exploring the multiple knives aspect as well here. I'm interested in the Byrd in this regard, specifically the Raven 2.

Back