Need a new fillet knife

Dergyll

Gold Member
Hi folks,

After years of service, my old rapala fillet knife has finally passed away violently (snapped)...

Anybody got a good premium recommendation? I prefer to get a good one that'll last instead of a cheapie one from Walmart.

Not really any requirements, looking for 6+ inches.

Thanks for your time

In my opinion I think the North Arm Kermode is about the best flexible fillet knife you can buy for the money. They have a six inch version and a nine inch version. CNC milled S35VN blade with G10 or carbon fiber handles.

I picked the six inch version up for my little brother as a gift and fell in love with it and ended up buying one for myself too. Great knives!!

Y0ja3J2.jpg

I think that will be it!

I was really looking at the boker and white river ones, I think both in 440c. Also the QC one which is N690. I dont REALLY care the steel and material, but given the choice of course I'd pick CF and S35VN :p

There are plenty of the Normark Filet knives available (used) on eBay. If you don't have to have a new one.

Those Henkels boning knives make better filet knives than a lot of knives that are called filet knives.

There are plenty of the Normark Filet knives available (used) on eBay. If you don't have to have a new one.

Those Henkels boning knives make better filet knives than a lot of knives that are called filet knives.
I second that on the used Normark Filet knives!

I say Normark also, find the older ones. You can also order direct from Finland if I'm not mistaken?

I miss spoke, I wanted to say. .....J.Marttinn....the original Rapala knife, those you can still get from Finland, I've never had one let me down yet. Also can be found used, the older ones are much better than those of late. I remember my grandmother's Rapala from way back( 70's) that was actually brought over from Finland. It was handed down to her from her parents who came from Finland in the early 1900's

I actually just picked this guy up for a buddy of mine, wow so light!! I might have to snag one myself someday.
Screenshot_20210811-112045_Gallery.jpg

Victorinox makes a great filet knife. Quiet Carry makes an interesting knife, as does Toor. I recently saw Bradford came out with a filet in Rex 45. The latter 3 look interesting as somewhat off-the-beaten path recommendations based on company reputation and/or steel. The former I can recommend from significant first hand experience. Good luck!

Agree with others that Victorinox makes a good inexpensive fillet knife, Dexter also makes some nice models. Frosts by Mora in the PG series are also very nice for the money. I use the 9218pg for skinning and filleting larger fish, works well. The 9160pg is a great little fillet knife for the money. Doesn't seem to be available at the usual dealers like it used to be? David Mary on the Forum made me a 6 1/2 fillet with AEBL, great as a dedicated fillet knife. Holds it's edge incredibly well. Fast in the hand. I fillet 20-25 fish and can barely tell a difference in the edge. I use a longer blade with more flex for skinning larger fillets.

Last edited:
For skinning fish, I use a Henckels salmon knife. It is a long flexible blade that works well for skinning. I skin my salmon with it before I make sushi. I also sharpen it at 15 degrees using a Worksharp Ken Onion. I tied 20 degrees but I don't think it worked as well.

I have a Lon Humphrey Bird & Trout. Bought it as a gift. Once I had it my hands I decided to keep it. lol

1631996417727.jpeg

Rich K.

I grew up using the Rapala/Martiini knives. Can't be beat for my money. Not sure about the newer ones, as I have 4 or 5 that are 40+ years old.

I liked my old rapala rubber fillet knife. Bought it from cabela and used for years.

Back