Need a New Hunting Knife

I am going to follow the Buck suggestions.

The 102 Woodsman, 105 Pathfinder, or 118 Personal would all make great game knives. I have had a 102 for a very long time. It works well.

I just recently picked up this 105, it is moving to the top of my knife collection rapidly. And I have draws full of them.

Another fine choice depending on the game you wish to process, is the Blackjack 125. I own and use a Kellam Wolverine. It would not be my first choice for game processing.

But if the MH trips your trigger, I am sure it will serve you well.

Another fine choice depending on the game you wish to process, is the Blackjack 125.

I agree if you want a 5" blade. Big handle. It's one of my favorites. The new Blackjack 124 would also make a fine choice for general hunting knife (4.1" A-2 blade). However neither of these are "about $100".... more like about $150-$200.

Last edited:
I think you have the wrong idea about Cold Steel. They make some cheaper knives, but some of their stuff is on par with any of the bigger production knife companies, Benchmade included. In fact I have a Benchmade at home that is shamed by a Cold Steel at half the cost.

Cold Steel gets picked on just like SOG. Both are better than Gerber. You won't win many style points with a Cold Steel unless you're 16. I feel confident that the Cold Steel San Mai Master Hunter would work for your purposes. The SOG NW Ranger is another in this class. Not a bad knife since they started making it without the partially serrated blade. Might be a little big for me for a general hunting chores depending on the game you are talking about.

Last edited:
I trap/process a lot of hogs every year, so my hunting knives get a lot of use and abuse. My knife processing bag carries 2 Pumas - the Deer hunter and the Elk Hunter, a Benchmade 180 Outlander, a Buck 110, and a Gerber Bear Grylls Paracord. Of those, the Gerber is the less expensive, but surprisingly, it is still working when the others have dulled. Nothing can dull a knife blade quicker than swine hide, but the Gerber Paracord doesn't know that. It's my constant "hip pocket knife" when I'm in the field.

Back