Need a quality tough-as-nails fixed blade

My first question is, where the heck do you hunt where the Whitetails go 750 lbs?!?

Sambar deer, stags can get pretty big. The one I'm chasing ATM would be very close to 700lbs. 750 would be the biggest a male Sambar would go.

Where can one buy a Scrap Yard knife from?

The Scrapper 6 looks like a real winner. Also wouldn't mind a Dumpster Mutt DC :D

Check the Busse/Swamp Rat/Scrap Yard sale forum. Expect to pay a premium.

The Resperine C handles are better to use than Kraton handles. If conditions are wet, or bloody, or greasy, you still get a firm comfortable grip.

There will be another production run of Dumpster Mutt DCs out sometime, perhaps in the next month or two. Check the Scrap Yard Forum frequently. http://www.scrapyardknives.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=Knives A current issue will be less expensive than the secondary market, but you've got to stay on top of things. They've had the entire run of a given knife model sell out within half an hour, or even within minutes.

When are the RAT(RC-5's) coming out. Another sweet looking unit that would do me well.

I see there are a few pictures getting around. What will it actually look like, are the spec's 100% confirmed on it?

The Rat Cutlery RC4 is on my very short list.
Good price, tough, and made in the good o'l USA !
Comes with a great sheath too.

When are the RAT(RC-5's) coming out. Another sweet looking unit that would do me well.

I see there are a few pictures getting around. What will it actually look like, are the spec's 100% confirmed on it?

Not too sure on the exact release, but it's close. The RC-5 SERE is going to be a beast! 5.25" X 1/4" thick jimped blade and attached to the RC-6 handle. I'm really looking forward to this one!

You can buy this Kershaw Bear Hunter II for under $30 with shipping...

b4_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330239714022&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

I bet it'll do everything those high priced knives mentioned earlier will do.

Everything except look good and withstand any degree of hard use...
BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh Yea! Have you tried one? And, IYO, what kind of hard use (abuse) should a knife have to endure? My Kershaw Outcast will endure anything your Busses, etc. will. And, It only cost me $75. Ain't it purty?

15812.jpg

Last edited:
Grim - I'll just bet that it'll go toe to toe with anything on the market, even though the blade is only lowly D2.

Here'a a better look...

3d_1_sbl.JPG

76_1_sbl.JPG

Last edited:
It actually doesn't look that bad, I was just being argumentative. I don't think I'd have much use for it, but if I bought one for my dad I know he'd love it.

I got nothing against D2.

Spyderco Bill Moran, tested by one of the outdoor magazines and was only one of the knives that passed the sledge hammer test, whereby the tester pounded the knife with a sledge hammer into a stump among other things. Its usa made and in your price range. Can't go wrong with a scrap yard or swamp rat or rat curterly, all good quality materials and workmanship.

Picked up a Strider MFS the other week. Sweet knife man! 4" blade, 8.25" overall. Superb lines IMO.

Keep the suggestions coming men. Still looking at allot more fixed-blades.
Bought 4 knives(1 fixed & 3 folders) over last few weeks. Call it what you will, but my theory is buy what looks like it would gel then see what works. What doesn't gel gets passed onto my son. If he doesn't like it it'll be sold or traded. It's a system I use for all my toys. BUY & TRY(grin).

Like I said, keep the suggestions coming, as I do plan on getting at least 6 more FB's before the years out.

Thanks in advance,

PS-Now I'm also looking at higher end$$$ blades. Life's just too short not to have what you want!

Last edited:
Where can one buy a Scrap Yard knife from?

The Scrapper 6 looks like a real winner. Also wouldn't mind a Dumpster Mutt DC :D

I use a couple of Scrap Yard blades. A Dumpster Mutt DC and a Yard Guard.

For camping I have found nothing better. These blades are tough as hell and have a warranty second to none. And I love that handle. Very comfortable. Cant go wrong with a Bussekin blade. (Bussekin= Busse, Swamp Rat, and Scrap Yard, they all the same company really, or close enough)

Another company I would look at is Bark River Knives. Also a very solid blade that will last. I used a Bay de Noc of a friend while camping, and that was one tough blade, kept an edge very well.

I would say Rat Cutlery would be my third choice in blades. I have not used one, only held one. But I like the lines and the feel. I will be adding one to my user blades.

Grim and Teague, I've got both a RC-4 and an Outcast. I'd never put the Outcast up against the RAT...the RAT will win.

RAT RC-4 on it's way :p
From what I've heard/read the RC series sound like CLASSICS in the making. Will see.

Going to run it head to head with my MFS.

PS-Keep the ideas coming lads, I need/want a few more before I'm done.

YardGuard1-1.jpg

You don't need to look any further than the Scrapyard Yard Guard.

edited: and to be honest, I highly doubt the Kershaw Outcast will
take the same level of abuse as this knife will take without chipping
or breaking. This is not meant to be a slam on Kershaw, as they
make a fine product and I am fairly addicted to their folders.

But I know what the Yard Guard will take in terms of abuse. It cost
me $140.00, with the sheath, but it was money well spent for a
hard-use knife. I've used this to "chop" bricks without hurting the edge.

edited again: but the Outcast is a beautiful fixed blade, and is on
my short list of knives I plan to purchase! It's just that D2 has a somewhat
lower resistance to impact than S-7/SR-77 which is a hardened shock-
resistant steel.

Last edited:
Back