Need a thin slicer

I'm looking for a very thin blade, like an opinel. Just modern.

Id like a knife to take camping for food tasks, an opinel works, but I want something modern with maybe a carbon fiber handle and 4 inch blade.
Steel choice could be anything, not too picky.

Any suggestions?

Spyderco Military in s30v or s110v.

If you want to spend less, there are Cara Cara 2, Resilience, Endura & Police 4 LW, depending on your budget and size requirements. All great knives, but the Military got me into Spyderco, can warmly recommend it, for camping and cooking in particular.

I found nothing in modern production variety as slicey as Opinel.
Boker Exskelibur comes close as a locking folder at 3.5" in my quest.
Spyderco Stretch and Spydiechef are OK but not really slicey.

If you are OK with non-locking and smaller knives, I would recommend Manly Wasp with S90V and a modern design with a clip.
The 3" blade stock is 0.09" with 0.009" behind the edge thickness.

Wasp1.jpg

Or, you can have your favorite one reground thin.

Steel Will Sedge, good D2 steel thicker than an Opinel but with a tall blade profile the Sedge blade thins out nicely. My 4" version has become a go to for kitchen chores.

If a fixed blade is in consideration, I'd try an EDChef from David Mary David Mary . I have a couple on the way, one for my mom, and another for myself. Haven't seen them yet, but they're ground thin.

Thanks for the shout out, Wild Willie Wild Willie . I have been working today on the handle for the first of a few orders for the EDChef in 15N20, so I can show you some blanks I've already mostly ground, but I haven't got a handle finished yet. That will be Monday. But here are some EDChef blanks in 3/32" thick 15N20 which are ground to roughly their final geometry. They will satin finished later.

The one in the middle is 1/8" AEB-L, and is already spoken for.

I have a run of them in 15N20, but they are getting claimed fast, so if anyone is interested, get in touch soon.

Here is a review of the first EDChef that was ever made:
https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/review-of-the-edchef-by-david-mary.284737/

You can also find some previous EDChefs in my past sales threads.

AG Russell Folding Steak Knife. Not carbon fiber, but they have a G-10 one (and a cocobolo, but the G-10 will be more element-resistant). I don't know how thick the blade is, but it's described as "thin", and being a steak knife, I'd expect it to be somewhere inbetween a regular folding pocket knife and a proper steak knife. 4" and D2 steel, $100.

EDIT: Apparently these aren't AG Russell "brand", but it doesn't say what the brand or manufacturer is. Made in Japan.

ner-hk02co-bk.jpg

Last edited:
Spyderco Endura. I called mine a folding paring knife.

Last edited:
I found nothing in modern production variety as slicey as Opinel.
Boker Exskelibur comes close as a locking folder at 3.5" in my quest.
Spyderco Stretch and Spydiechef are OK but not really slicey.

If you are OK with non-locking and smaller knives, I would recommend Manly Wasp with S90V and a modern design with a clip.
The 3" blade stock is 0.09" with 0.009" behind the edge thickness.

Wasp1.jpg

Or, you can have your favorite one reground thin.
Manly Wasp is a great slicer. Mine is in 12C27, 60 HRC, takes a fantastic edge with little effort and holds it a long time. Or consider the Gayle Bradley 2, deep hollow grind makes it a great slicer and the CPM-M4 is outstanding.

Back