need a weedeater, any suggestions?

I'm no professional, the farthest from it. But I do 4 lawns including my own 2+ acre lawn. Go with Echo or Stihl. My biggest advice is to go with a brand that has a local guy that sells and services them. I am not mechanically inclined and have little patience. Having a local person to do regular servicing will make things much easier. Of course, if you like fiddling with small engines, find something at a lawn sale.

If I was just doing a little bit of yard work, I'd seriously consider one of the battery powered ones with the newer lithium batteries. I use a Ryobi chainsaw to cut up small trees\saplings and it has enough power for what it is (i.e. light duty 14" bar). My battery powered leaf blower gets more work than my Muryama (sp?) backpack blower because more than half the time I just need something to blow grass clippings off of the driveways and don't need the power of using a backpack blower (although nothing beats it for blowing wet leaves around!). Its also nice because if the battery is charged, you just use it; no need to fiddle with the choke and pull start.

I'm curious to ask if the Stihl models come with a very convenient method for replacing the string when needed? My old 4 stroke fell victim to
ethanol poisoning, but before that, the spool method of replacing line about drove me insane. If Stihl still uses the old tangle-prone/slow method,
do any of the other better brands have a convenient system for replacing line?

Thanks,
John

Have an echo myself after getting rid of my 25 + year old homelite that ran like a champ (until it died)! Bought from local lawn equip guy that I also bought my snapper walk behind from 20+ years ago because they carry better quality products (made for everyday/pro use) than the big box stores! Paid a little more but WELL WORTH the cost IMHO! The non adjusting carburetors are (from what I’ve heard) a product of California! Didn’t want anyone to be able to adjust anything...when it takes a crap...throw it out! I guess better to fill the landfills with stuff than allow someone to rich/lean out a machine!:mad:

I used the reviews from you guys and just bought a echo srm 225 & a echo blower. Seem really nice. I started these puppies up, it's about 9:00pm here so, I wanted to give my neighbors a good reason to report me too the home owners association.:D

Thanks for all your reviews.:thumbup:

The weedwacker and the blower are still going strong, starts up right away. Glad I moved away from that homeowner association. More like escaped mental patients living in there. Life is good.

I use a 40v battery weedeater now. There are 60v models around too. Been pleased as it does everything I need to do and I don't have a huge amount of trimming to do. I buy the pre-wound spools for it; costs a bit more, but a bit less hassle with the string replacement. It still gets bound up from time to time. I really hate fiddling with gasoline motors. So, if you go gasoline, I would buy one that the local dealer will service for you as needed.

I own or have owned, Stihl, Echo and Husqvarna. They all perform well and last as long as you take good care of them. I even have a Craftsman Professional from the 90's that is still going strong.

I own acreage in the tropics and the grass can only be cut in most places with a "whacker". My trimmers get plenty of year-round use.

You'll want to concentrate on repairs and price. They all need some kind of tune-up sooner or later. If you aren't handy, you'll need someone to do it for you.

I have a Stihl that I have owned for about 10 years, and just hate it. It's a pain to get started and very, very sensitive to the oil/fuel ratio you mix. When it dies, I'm going back to electric.

Back