Need advice - How do you wear yours?

I have 3 ISP sheaths. The first one stays in the pocket well but the other two come out easily when I try to draw the knife. Any suggestions? Im not married to the inside the pocket method but I need something secure. Tried other ways as well like inside the pants, between belt, etc. and no luck. Love the quality and want to make it work.

shane

Your knife is fitting too tight inside the sheath. If it's one of the bigger 4" recluse sized sheaths .. I recommended against carrying one of those ISP style, but demand prompted me building them and I'm using my heaviest clips on them. You will still need to fit the knife to the sheath properly. I build my sheaths on the smaller end as to fit tight to the majority of Fiddlebacks .. this is done because Andy 'hand shapes' his handles. One month he's making fat handles, the next month knives are coming out with thinner handles.

It's easy to stretch leather .. such as a breaking in a new pair of boots to your feet. It does not work that well vice-versa. Search for wet forming. Its not my favorite thing to do .. but it will 'fit' that particular knife to that particular sheath.

This is what I cam up with for a solution. I noticed that there is more space on these clips than on my first one so it is not clamping down on the pocket.

shane

Ill keep searching for alternate methods and let you guys know. I have one without the skull clip getting the thread replaced (somehow my blade cut them near the bottom) and when I get it back, Im going to try something different with that one.

shane

Is it an issue with the knife being to snug or the clip? If it's the knife just give it time. I have found that it can take a week or two of constant use to get the leather stretched enough to allow the knife to be removed without the sheath also leaving the pocket. Which is much better than the sheath being too loose. If it's the clip I have noticed that the Punisher clips that I have do not have enough room above the nose to accommodate the material of my pants. However, I normally do not re-sheath my knife while the sheath is still clipped to my pocket so it does not bother me. It would be nice if it sit flush with my pocket, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

If it's the clip I have noticed that the Punisher clips that I have do not have enough room above the nose to accommodate the material of my pants.

It should seat all the way to the bend of the clip unless you're wearing some serious thick material for pants. I bend them so they'll pinch the material with some grip. I believe the clip he's having issues with is my thicker/plain clips .. and they have much more retention than the thinner/themed ones.

BTW, do not push the butt of the knife while it's sheathed in an effort to push the sheath/clip further into the pocket <-- that can cause the knife to push through the sheath's welt and into the stitching, thus cutting the stitching.

917444_477113102478416_466655484_n.jpg

I use a small needle nose vice grip to clamp down on the clip to tighten it and give it better retention. I also put an old t-shirt over the clip so it doesn't get scratched up.

The clip on this sheath fits perfectly. Slides over the pants pocket and the last quarter inch is tight and really clamps down on the pocket.

Im also liking the new carry method in the belt loop with the skull clip and stretch cord. When I get my other one back, Ill try the vice grip method. Im also thinking about making that one a neck knife.

shane

When I get my other one back, Ill try the vice grip method. Im also thinking about making that one a neck knife.

shane

Dont do that .. titanium has a tendency to *snap* with no warning if you try to bend it cold. I'll see if I can adjust it while it's here for repairs.

My Runt would also pull the entire sheath out of my pocket at first . But after a few hours of watching tv and sitting on the couch fiddling with it "no punt intended " sliding it in and out breaking it in it now performs flawlessly . I also gave mine a few coats of Obenauf's heady duty LP leather treatment when I was breaking it in .
Also with mine that has the mandorlin ti clip I find with some jeans it bites in better and seats deeper if I gently pull on the clip when sliding it into and on to my pocket .
Hope that helps &#128077;&#127995;
Love this stuff !!!

This is what I was referring to... the sheath has no problem staying clipped to my pocket so it does not bother me. I should have said above the "eyes" instead of "nose" in my previous post. Tonight I managed to get the other clip to seat flush, but like I said it's a non-issue. I have a few more of your ISP's and will continue the hunt on Tuesday's, not enough lefty's.

DYLuVZG.jpg

XaBiZb9.jpg

I have a few more of your ISP's and will continue the hunt on Tuesday's, not enough lefty's.

Because there's statistically less than a 10% customer base who may be LH or want a LH carry sheath, I tend to not guess and build blind.
Put in a build request for a LH carry model and I'll make every effort to build something.

Because there's statistically less than a 10% customer base who may be LH or want a LH carry sheath, I tend to not guess and build blind.
Put in a build request for a LH carry model and I'll make every effort to build something.

I think Bud has been great about building lefty sheaths when someone asks so I definitely recommend putting in a request on the build thread. I have aquired at least 5 lefty JouFuu sheaths this way.

To the point about the clip slipping, I only had this happen to one of my ISPs from Bud ( I own six). It was a knife that the sheath wasn't built for, but the dimensions worked and I love his sheaths so I went for it. I solved the clip slipping off my pocket by wrapping a thick plastic bag (ziplock freezer bag thickness) around the end of the handle a couple of times, sticking the plastic wrapped handle in the sheath and leaving it for a couple of days. I don't like wet forming and have found this to be a good alternative generally for new sheaths and holsters that have a firm grip and need a little stretching.

I think Bud has been great about building lefty sheaths when someone asks so I definitely recommend putting in a request on the build thread. I have aquired at least 5 lefty JouFuu sheaths this way.

I apologize for any confusion my post my have caused. It was in no way a complaint. I admit I'm a lefty.

I carry a Fiddleback in my left and right front pockets every day. I mainly purchase a knife because I like the profile/configuration and a sheath because it fits the knife. Colors and all that don't bother me... Your sheaths are exceptional and don't require me to send my knife off. I like that. Left, right, or ambidextrous if it fits a knife in need I'll try and claim it.

I appreciate your willingness to have a build board, but with my luck I'd request a sheath and then either forget to check the thread or not be able to purchase it at that time. I won't do that to a maker.

My Fiddlebacks that wear Joufuu pants...

601BopB.jpg

Archaeo72,

No need to apologize on my part. I was just telling you the best way to get some lefty sheaths from the man himself. I recommend checking the sales thread every Tuesday. You never what might show up there that you never knew you needed.

Archaeo72,

No need to apologize on my part. I was just telling you the best way to get some lefty sheaths from the man himself. I recommend checking the sales thread every Tuesday. You never what might show up there that you never knew you needed.

Yeah, I wasnt offended by your post either Archaeo72- sal good. I'll have a few LH carry available tomorrow, in various patterns.

Back