Need advice on blade steel selection

First off I'm not going to go buy a chunk of steel. I have some in stock and I don't make enough knives to warrant buying more steel. I have some ATS-34, 154cm, and A-2. Which one of these would make a good kitchen knife that might get tossed into the dishwasher by accident every once and a while. I would probably force a patina on it. How high to go with a polish? I'm sure I'll come up with more questions. Thanks in advance!

The CM-154 & the ATS-34 are kinda next gen Stainless from 440c, I’ve use both for Culinary with great results. I take them to a Scotchbrite brush finish! I have them HTed to 60 Rc, ...... I’m sure A2 would make a nice kitchen knife especially if you want A Patina. Just Say No! To The Dishwasher! It’s a Dishwasher, not a Knife washer !:rolleyes:

ATS-34 & 154cm are basically the same. Ones Japanese and the other American. They are stainless but will still rust eventually. They are kinda like vg10.

A2 will rust fast. A2 will have longer edge retention tho.

For kitchen knives I'd stick with the 2 more stainless options but I don't have as much experience with A2 kitchen knives.

LC200N would be my pick. It also has an alternative Z-Finit. Spyderco has been killing it with LC200N it just doesn't rust.

And I learned my lesson putting knives in the dishwasher, won't do it again.

Yeah, I bought the steels I have probably 20 years ago and then promptly took off the next 12 + years off. I have more of the 154cm so I'll probably use that. I really don't prefer a patina so that should work. I won't wash it in the dishwasher, but as for the rest of the family.....
A scotch Brite finish is probably what I'll do. It will have to be hand rubbed because the only grinder I have is a 4 by 36 bench top deal and a 5" vise.

Last edited:
Yeah, I bought the steels I have probably 20 years ago and then promptly took off the next 12 + years off. I have more of the 154cm so I'll probably use that. I really don't prefer a patina so that should work. I won't wash it in the dishwasher, but as for the rest of the family.....
A scotch Brite finish is probably what I'll do. It will have to be hand rubbed because the only grinder I have is a 4 by 36 bench top deal and a 5" vise.
Take it to320 grit by hand and you will be fine

Sounds good to me, one of these knives will be my next project after I clean up my grandpas edc he had in the navy during WW 2. Nice old school custom that didn't get stored to well by my grandpa.

Both of those will be great for kitchen use. I have used CPM 154 with great results. Made a knife for my grandmother with that steel, and a few customers. Holds up nicely and easy to sharpen.

I would try Z-Finit once you get the chance. 60HRC is great (send to peters). Its hard on low grit belts though. Once you get past 220 grit its nice and easy though. And never ever rusts! (Unless you let ut soak in a sink with agressive dish soap for a few hours) but under any food or natural conditions it wont rust. It also takes a razor edge in a hurry.
I have made several kitchen knivez in Z-Finit and customers love them!

I have a 6" x 40" .100" thick piece of 154cm, so I have a lot of blades to make to use that up. When I get close, I'll look into a nice steel. Z-finit, some aeb-l, cru-wear or something like that.

A2 will give you a better actual edge, but due to dishwashing concerns, the 154cm shd be fine.

Just got done heat treating a few blades I made out of the 154cm I had. I'm probably going to stick with this steel because I've barely made a dent in my piece of stock I have.

Reactions: Mo2
Back