Need an answer

I am currently living in tomah wisconsin...is it legal to openly carry a samurai sword on my back..lets say..walking down the street? How about inside a grocery store?

In before the move to "Knife Laws":D

I have no idea if it's legal, but it is certainly not advisable unless you're looking for interaction with law enforcement.

~Chip

Legalities aside, why would you want to?
Sometimes the answer is "because I can" (sometimes it's "because they say I can't"). Maybe one thinks the sword represents a choice of internal discipline...more likely it's about coolness or bad-assery. Most people, adults anyway, won't see those things when encountering a person carrying a sword (samurai, or otherwise) on his back... the more generous minded will think attention whore; but I think more would question the mental stability of the sword bearer. Unless, and likely even if, Tomah, Wi is a very live and let live kind of place, I wouldn't be surprised if the police were called regardless of legality.

If it's about convenience of transport to a martial arts class, I suspect the instructor would recommend other options... or, at the very least, suggest skipping the trip to the grocery store.

Wisconsin only restrictions carry on individuals who are prohibited from owning firearms, and even then only applies when concealed.
https://knifeup.com/wisconsin-knife-laws/
On the other hand, that doesn't mean you are fully in the clear. People can still call the police on you and the police are required to respond. You can be questioned and potentially even arrested for creating a disturbance, depending on your behavior and why you tell them you have the sword. Remember, Darrien Hunt also was carrying a katana unconcealed in a jurisdiction where it was legal and he wound up dead. I will grant he was a mentally disturbed man who failed to put down the weapon when told, swung it at police and then ran. But then carrying a katana in public for no reason is not necessarily the mark of a sound mind.

Reguardless of the legalities ... as some have mentioned it will bring much unwanted (or I would think unwanted) attention ...

and people in todays's climate are fearful of anything unknown and the carry of weapons openly will have you interacting with Law Enforcement regularly ... and is it worth the hassle to spend an hour each time you go out explaining why you feel the need or desire to carry a sword?

There are much better options if it is intended for self defense ... and concealable option that will save numerous encounters with the law.

I am all for our 2nd Amendment rights ... but we have to use good judgement and be reasonable within that ... especially in today's climate ... not flaunting or causing conflict helps our 2nd Amendment causes ... openly frighting people hurts it.

But if you're set on it the best answer I can give you is contact your local Law Enforcement or a Local Lawyer and ask them straight out about it ... as they can answer better than anyone and you may as well get aquainted.

I think others have made very valid points... Why would you carry it around with you? I have sword and guns but I don’t carry anything except a hunting knife on my belt and even that is concealed so it doesn’t raise concerns, a cop told me it was fine for me to carry such a big knife but to use my discretion such as do t carry it in anyplace like a school or bank. However with a sword O would highly suggest not carrying it on you. I live out in the woods so sometimes I’ll carry a sword or a hand gun just for protection from bobcats and other wild animals but I sure as hell wouldn’t carry my katana on my back in public. (Ps I live in SC )

Also this day and age Katana’s and other swords are more for martial arts or collectibles, using one as a weapon isn’t very practical.

Only if you're carrying 2 and wearing a red and black suit. (don't forget your dual desert eagles).

If a person would carry a sword in a public place, then carrying it on your back would effectively make accessing it darn near impossible, especially if it's in a scabbard. Even Deadpool can't draw from his back in the movies, only in comics.

Back