Need clarifications about Canadian knife laws.

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum so if I'm not posting at the right place please let me know without being too harsh. I'm learning how to use the website.

My question is pretty simple: what can I carry on me at all times and everywhere in Canada? Is it even legal to do that?

I'm asking because since I got my hands on both a Dragonfly and a PM2 I find myself using them all the time and they make my day a little easier, they're very useful. Problem is, the knife laws in Canada aren't very clear and I have yet to hear (or read) from someone who knows what he/she is talking about.

Is the PM2 too big? Is the fact that I can open both with just one hand a problem with the law? They're not automatic, but "apparently" being able to open a knife with one hand makes it illegal...

It would be nice if someone gave me a clear answer to this and I'd really appreciate it, because last thing I want is to get in trouble because of my folders.

Knife laws in Canada are mostly municipal so they are not the same from sea to sea.

Montreal and Calgary for example will find you in trouble for having a visible knife regardless of the type.

You need to narrow down where you are. I'm in the BC interior and carry all sorts of knives from PM2s (like I have with me today) to the Military to full on big sheath knives or small hatchets and have never had an issue across the province.

Knife laws in Canada are mostly municipal so they are not the same from sea to sea.

Montreal and Calgary for example will find you in trouble for having a visible knife regardless of the type.

You need to narrow down where you are. I'm in the BC interior and carry all sorts of knives from PM2s (like I have with me today) to the Military to full on big sheath knives or small hatchets and have never had an issue across the province.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I live in the province of Québec, near Rimouski to be specific. It's a relatively small town, but of course I travel once in a while. Although that doesn't happen too often and I never go much farther than Montréal.

Well watch out in Montreal and around home just tell anyone who's curious you're considering becoming a Coureur des bois. You may need to get the hat.

need your thought , check my thread in KNIFE LAWS

Back