Need external speakers for laptop

Looking for a personal recommendation for a set of USB driven external speakers I can run off a laptop. I already have various combinations of portable speakers for other uses so these are the ONLY requirements for THIS pair:

1. Must be USB powered.
2. As small as possible; flat is preferable.
3. Sound need not be audiophile quality, just noticeably better than the built-in speakers - and doesn't have to fill the room at a party.
4. Yes, I own headphones. I need speakers. ;)
5. Price doesn't matter - a client is paying for them.

Your personal experience is much appreciated. Thank you.

Nothing? :(

Hint: with one of my other laptops, I am using a Monsoon system. Anything out there of similar performance - but tiny?

Sorry buddy, but these are my computer speakers:

2412.1.0.jpg

They're fantastic, but totally NOT what you're looking for...
The ten-inch subwoofer alone weights about 20lbs. ;)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=us,en#

Sorry buddy, but these are my computer speakers:

2412.1.0.jpg

They're fantastic, but totally NOT what you're looking for...
The ten-inch subwoofer alone weights about 20lbs. ;)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=us,en#

LOL!

Wish Monsoon made a set of tiny speakers. Had never heard of them before I bought them. Outstanding.

Now that I think about it - I remember having a set of tiny Sony speakers (yellow plastic cases) that were quite good. Left batteries in them and they leaked all over the place. I'll see if I can find those and dump them in a bucket of vinegar for an hour!

If you want decent sound from a laptop, chances are you'll need an external soundcard. Personally, I use a Total Bithead from Headroom which can be powered from the headphone out or directly from the USB. Creative also does a good job. USB is better because it bypasses the laptop's worst electronics. The sound difference, especially with headphones, is amazing. And it's not terribly expensive. It will improve the sound of any half way decent speaker too.

These Bose are not exactly what you are looking for as they are not USB, but they are great nontheless, I've had mine for about four years and they sound fantastic. I travel alot and these have done very well, although my previous pair of Acoustic Research speakers were smaller and sounded just as good.

I like the Bluetooth speakers by Blue Ant, I believe, the speakers are charged by a wall block, can use mobile charger and they connect via a bluetooth usb connection. The speakers are about 2 inches thick, 3 inches wide and 6 inches long and they have a strong magnet on back to ride on your dash or attach to a filing cabinet. What I like is no wires, speaker when charged last about 4 to 6 hrs.
Jim
http://www.myblueant.com/m1%20stereo%20speakers.htm

Last edited:
I've got the logitech V-10 speakers that Ken recommends and they're great! Great sound, fit in a take-along pouch and relatively inexpensive. (I think I paid 10 bucks at the time after an instant rebate)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I forgot I have an external sound card somewhere, I just wanted to hook up as few pieces as possible. I used to do some ads for Bose so I have various flavors of those resin-box powered speakers - but as I specifically requested, what I am looking for _must_ be USB powered. I will definitely try those Logitechs. Thanks. H.

I also have the Logitech's.
They work very well. Got on Fleabay for $12.00.

Back