Need for Clarification

daddysgotguns

Gold Member
Hello all, as the title says I need some clarification, or at least a little understanding. During the years I have been here, I have never run across anything that explains why, we cant post WTB in the Busse/ Swamprat for sale area. Lets be honest the posted Want To Buy area doesnt seem to get that much traffic, especially where the Busse family is concerned. It just seems counter intuitive, I mean all the major buyers,collectors and sellers are in the For Sale forum. Just trying to understand the divide between the seekers and the sellers. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also apologizing in advance if I have offended anybody.

Yes it’s ridiculous and makes no sense.

It should be changed to a want to buy/want to trade/want to sell section as long as it’s related to Busse company knives.

Trying to trade a Busse/Swamprat/Scrapyard in the regular trade section you don’t get nearly as much interest.

Lol, I wonder how the mods would take it if you post a thread looking to sell some of your "Bussekin Cash" and list the models you're interested in.

You could also indicate what you're interested in here, for discussion purposes, or maybe put something in your sig if that's allowed?

I cant even imagine how awesome it would be if those changes were made. People might actualy be able to find, purchase or trade for the blades they seek, without using the "bay".

Simple answer is that Gold (or higher) level memberships are required to sell. The "Wanted To Buy" section is set up so only those members can see the ads; and there is no such restriction in the For Sale section. Allowing Wanted ads in the For Sale areas would effectively open the door to registered and Basic members selling.

Getting a Busse specific "Wanted to Buy" is the obvious answer...but, with relatively few -kin ads appearing in the regular Wanted section, it's tough to justify "need" for such a change. (I'm pretty sure the CRK group tried to get their own a while back)

Last edited:
Simple answer is that Gold (or higher) level memberships are required to sell. The "Wanted To Buy" section is set up so only those members can see the ads; and there is no such restriction in the For Sale section. Allowing Wanted ads in the For Sale areas would effectively open the door to registered and Basic members selling.

Getting a Busse specific "Wanted to Buy" is the obvious answer...but, with relatively few -kin ads appearing in the regular Wanted section, it's tough to justify "need" for such a change. (I'm pretty sure the CRK group tried to get their own a while back)

I think you could leave the gold level restrictions in place and not have a problem, as many Busse users are gold members already I think. Set that part of bladeforums at the most restrictive level to cover the selling piece, thus the basic level members trying to sell becomes a non-issue.

I have seen a bit more Busse's show in the trade area, which I think falls into a similar situation.

How I think other maker's have gotten around it, like Fiddleback and CPK, is to just start a sales/trade/WTB thread within the maker's forum on BF. I imagine you would need approval for it to make sure it doesn't get moved but could be a simple solution too. I think Fiddleback and CPK have made those threads stickies as well.

So you're suggesting opening the Busse & kin For Sale forum to include Wanted & Trade, and making it viewable to only Gold and higher? That would prevent registered and Basic members from purchasing or trading, and won't be a popular decision (the gold and higher buyers would like the reduced competition...until they start trying to sell and realize that they have a limited pool of buyers).
Yes, CPK and other makers have such threads; but they are subject to the same rules without the technological assistance, leaving the makers (and their designees) to make sure everything is by the books. And those forums don't have their own For Sale section on the Exchange...so what happens to the existing For Sale area? I don't know about the others, but the CPK thread is heavily posted by a handful of people linking to ads on the Exchange. The sellers can't post their ads in both sections, as that violates the the 2 week rule; so where do they post - in a new thread, or in the exchange where people expect to look?

So you're suggesting opening the Busse & kin For Sale forum to include Wanted & Trade, and making it viewable to only Gold and higher? That would prevent registered and Basic members from purchasing or trading, and won't be a popular decision (the gold and higher buyers would like the reduced competition...until they start trying to sell and realize that they have a limited pool of buyers).
Yes, CPK and other makers have such threads; but they are subject to the same rules without the technological assistance, leaving the makers (and their designees) to make sure everything is by the books. And those forums don't have their own For Sale section on the Exchange...so what happens to the existing For Sale area? I don't know about the others, but the CPK thread is heavily posted by a handful of people linking to ads on the Exchange. The sellers can't post their ads in both sections, as that violates the the 2 week rule; so where do they post - in a new thread, or in the exchange where people expect to look?

It would only allow gold and higher to create a thread, not the rest of the actions. I believe that's how the current sales forum works, anyone can view and post but only gold and up can create a thread.

For the rest, current Busse sales area stays the same, the other thread could be unique to WTB and trades. Or, they could post to both like in the CPK thread. It's not the same as a exchange and doesn't necessarily follow the exchange rules like the Busse sales area does. And, if it wouldn't work, mods pull it.

Since the thread would be designed to specifically address the WTB and trade portions, it would make the most sense to only put those within that thread within the general Busse discussion area.

Re-reading your first part, I think we have a misunderstanding as I am proposing a thread of WTB and trade within the general Busse discussion area. I'm not sure where the rest of your comments are coming from about the "limited to gold members only." It looks like something got over-complicated somewhere.

For the rest, current Busse sales area stays the same, the other thread could be unique to WTB and trades. Or, they could post to both like in the CPK thread. It's not the same as a exchange and doesn't necessarily follow the exchange rules like the Busse sales area does. And, if it wouldn't work, mods pull it.
It is not the same the Exchange only because it doesn't have the built in restrictions on who can post what, leaving the forum moderators (in this case, likely Jerry, Garth, and ??) to police the ads - assisted, of course, by the membership reporting issues. (I believe the misunderstanding may be have been due to the fact that, unless separate Busse WTB and Trade sections are added to the Exchange, it is not possible to limit posting privileges within a specific thread.) Such a thread does have to follow the Exchange rules, as has been expressed by site mods in the CPK area - which would mean that registered members can't post items for sale or trade, and Basic can only post trade requests - but cannot sell. And one cannot post in both places, as I mentioned earlier - this was also confirmed by a site mod - however placing a link to an Exchange ad in the thread is tolerated (as I referenced in my last post, a lot of the posts in the CPK thread are by a few people that choose to link every CPK item they see).

For the record, I'm not opposed to either option...a question was asked, and I was merely posting an answer. I'm just another member, though - why not invite a moderator to the party, and get the information from a source that knows (or will get) the answers.

Last edited:
It is not the same the Exchange only because it doesn't have the built in restrictions on who can post what, leaving the forum moderators (in this case, likely Jerry, Garth, and ??) to police the ads - assisted, of course, by the membership reporting issues. (I believe the misunderstanding may be have been due to the fact that, unless separate Busse WTB and Trade sections are added to the Exchange, it is not possible to limit posting privileges within a specific thread.) Such a thread does have to follow the Exchange rules, as has been expressed by site mods in the CPK area - which would mean that registered members can't post items for sale or trade, and Basic can only post trade requests - but cannot sell. And one cannot post in both places, as I mentioned earlier - this was also confirmed by a site mod - however placing a link to an Exchange ad in the thread is tolerated (as I referenced in my last post, a lot of the posts in the CPK thread are by a few people that choose to link every CPK item they see).

For the record, I'm not opposed to either option...a question was asked, and I was merely posting an answer. I'm just another member, though - why not invite a moderator to the party, and get the information from a source that knows (or will get) the answers.

I have not seen the mods work in the CPK slae/trade area before, so that's my mistake if it is as you say. I see a lot of cross-posting so I had thought that was the norm, posting in both. I am including the "knife for sale here" and a link there a bit I guess as it seems like basically a sales ad, just without a listed price.

Basically, it is the job of the CPK forum mod(s) to deal with things - I believe that post reports go to Nathan (though the site mods undoubtedly get them, too...but the expectation is likely that the makers deal with their own forums). I have seen Nathan step in to tell people their membership levels did not permit them to post items for sale.
The site mods have come in to respond to specific questions, like the one about posting ads in both the Exchange and the CPK thread - I know because I asked that particular question.
Posting a link to the ad is tolerated...but, again, if you look, much of the time it is not the seller posting those links (which has occasionally caused confusion with people trying to buy from the person that posted the link, rather than from the person that posted the ad)

*edited to add:
See Nathan's opening post in that thread, his followup (2046 - there were others, but I specifically chose this one in case someone was thinking special rules could be established by the maker/manufacturer forum) and Boru13's post (2720)

Last edited:
I would really like the option of WTB or WTT in the current Busse/Scrapyard/Swamprat WTS section. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any specific issue it would cause or potential abuse and it would be a lot easier. Not sure why it's not there already.

Back