Need help deciding on a holster

Got my very first 1911 the other day, I'm thinking it will likely make it into my carry rotation soon. I've been looking at IWB holsters for the last day or 2, and I'm leaning towards something by Comp-Tac (the Infidel, maybe) or G-Code (the Incog). I carry strong side, about 4 o clock. My current carry rig for my G19 is a first gen Crossbreed Super Tuck with the horsehide backer. I like it well enough, but I haven't bought an IWB holster in nearly 20 years, so I imagine the options nowadays are considerably better. So, gentlemen, educate me...

I’m kinda old school, but I like Milt Sparks Summer Special type.
TNxTZ87.jpg

Heartily suggest you look at the Sparks Versa-Max 2 . They are renowned for being comfortable and concealing well. They also avoid the extra
thickness caused by snaps being located over the holster body -- belt loops are to either side of the holster body. They are tuckable if you want,
or can use with interchangeable leather loops to fit whichever belt you will be using. The quality is superb.

I used a Davis custom IWB copy of the Summer Special for about 25
years with a 5" 1911 -- and competed with it in IPSC as it was my carry rig. I hated that holster, but thought it was just the nature of the universe
that IWB carry of a 1911 was fated to be uncomfortable as heck. Heard about the Versa-Max, and got one -- took a nap with it on the first day it arrived!
There was a black market on them for probably at least a year and a half, and VM2's were strictly rationed to purchasers, with banning by Sparks
if they caught you flipping them on Ebay. They were selling for up to double retail at times. They've since caught up on production (although I
haven't shopped for one in years, so...) Can't recommend these heavily enough!

Hope this helps,
John

Thanks, rookie and John, for the Milt Sparks reminder. I have heard that he is the gold standard when it comes to 1911 leather holsters. I will look very seriously at the versa max. It's a bit of coin, but I never shied away from spending a little extra on a quallity product.

I recommend you take a look at Andrew’s Custom Leather, MacDaniel II. Google it.

I have one for my commander slide 1911 and one for my Glock 19. They’re incredibly well built and make for excellent concealed carry. I will probably be ordering a third sometime later this year for my CZ.

Milt Sparks has some nice set ups ... Crossbreed isn't my cup of tea but I know alot that swear by them ...

I like my Kramer about as well as any IWB holsters I've tried ... I lean towards an OWB for my 1991 and use a Yaqui Slide.

Last edited:
I recommend you take a look at Andrew’s Custom Leather, MacDaniel II. Google it.

I have one for my commander slide 1911 and one for my Glock 19. They’re incredibly well built and make for excellent concealed carry. I will probably be ordering a third sometime later this year for my CZ.

Thanks for the tip. I like that you can get one in monitor lizardo_O

Thanks for the tip. I like that you can get one in monitor lizardo_O

Hahaha. They can do fancy if you like! Mine are just the regular leather (I don’t remember if it’s cow hide or horse hide). I like that they are rough-out as it really does work as advertised for a firm carry.

For 1911’s sometimes they have stock on hand if you call them.

Heck I'll toss my hat into the ring. I'm old school like my friend GB940Rookie GB940Rookie . But I prefer OWB in a pancake style holster:

92lmGhZ.jpg

Untuck the shirt and the pistola goes away:

YNBUk0y.jpg

If ya end up looking at OWB we can create something for ya uniquely yours and a belt too, to haul it around on.

8eQZDHf.jpg

a2Kji7h.jpg

NxNm0b3.jpg

DCGc5kp.jpg

tvvwBrt.jpg

Matching set for a fellow BF member:

PVk8OCN.jpg

Belt and bowie sheath I did for GB940Rookie GB940Rookie , built the holster for myself at the same time (told ya I was old school, I even carry a revolver sometimes). They kinda looked like they all went together.

8v8rPd0.jpg

We use em on the ranch all the time. We know they are rugged and secure:

z5G3uIT.jpg

eEkmkYd.jpg

zXeadKk.jpg

EUJIG0C.jpg

OsAAKd7.jpg

Js6wIa6.jpg

Roughout slide:

b3jMKCe.jpg

We do quite a bit of roughout work.

ihd37Q3.jpg

Heck we wear em around the house too. The wife, doing some leather work, talking on the phone to a customer and wearing her EMP, while in the shop.

qtZJbAM.jpg

The wife makes a simple and very popular IWB too, using the Ulticlip.

1FfRWuS.jpg

If ya wear it with a belt, you don't even see the clip as this clip goes on the pants not the belt. You WILL NOT draw the holster with the gun with this clip like so many other IWBs.

E13KZWD.jpg

Anyhoo just some ideas for ya. Probably more edumacation than ya wanted.

I always enjoy your pictures Horsewright. Especially the action shots. I think it’s great you guys look dressed to the nines working cows.

I carry IWB, I use several different holsters, my favorite is "tulster" holster. Small light, unabtrusive
Or a "remora" sticky holster. The remora can be put anywhere on the body, doesn't have a belt clip.

I always enjoy your pictures Horsewright. Especially the action shots. I think it’s great you guys look dressed to the nines working cows.

We get dirty sometimes, ya just never know:

04hx0IJ.jpg

bhfUlKK.jpg

All seriousness the cowboy world is divided into two distinct camps that have been merging closer and closer all the time. Part of our tradition in the Californio style was fancier gear, silver bits and spurs, carved leather etc and dressier clothes. But honestly its just how we dress all the time.

7zKLiYh.jpg

All handmade and engraved:

r6d2IKY.jpg

rKb4aiZ.jpg

KzX0lQc.jpg

bbZancS.jpg

5w5SWKR.jpg

One of the wife's saddles:

pK2wDr9.jpg

But we still use this stuff and use it hard:

eFxyLA1.jpg

WaZPBnt.jpg

mkBgx43.jpg

GqtGK1a.jpg

A "puncher's" gear is gonna tend to be plainer and he might dress more workman like. Heck even our hats our different. One way is not better than the other just different and these distinctions are getting merged more and more all the time.

Anyhoo what were we talking about? Oh yeah, holsters:

3ejlRQ2.jpg

LtMXvRV.jpg

je5Efjj.jpg

All kinds of holsters:

fnEyoUe.jpg

wpThoap.jpg

rPxwdf8.jpg

lLdnZ9A.jpg

My recommendation for IWB holster will be the Mike's special from www.ttgunleather.com
I have one for my CCO, and it replaced/surplanted the Sparks VM-II that I had for it. Freaking incredible holster, and great guy to buy from to boot.

No relation, just have the same last name :)

Andrews Leather makes the McDaniel II. I have carried a full size 1911 in one for many years. It is better than the day I bought it.

JM Custom Kydex. Leather softens over time, which can separate from Kydex/leather hybrids. Kydex remains rigid to ensure proper reholstering.

My recommendation for IWB holster will be the Mike's special from www.ttgunleather.com
I have one for my CCO, and it replaced/surplanted the Sparks VM-II that I had for it. Freaking incredible holster, and great guy to buy from to boot.
That's who I ended up going with. I stumbled on his site about 2 months ago, and ordered the XC slim. Got it in the mail about 3 weeks ago, and have been wearing it ever since. I like it a lot, it makes carrying a full size steel gun manageable. Also, just as a place holder, I grabbed a 1791 OWB holster from Amazon. It was cheap, and there are some things I don't like about it, but it's comfortable and retention is good. Just in case anyone was on the fence about trying one.
I don't know if my search is over. I'm intrigued by the Milt Sparks holsters, specifically the Criterion and the Summer Special II. Have heard nothing but great things about them, but the price and the wait have turned me off of them for now. I'll likely carry the XC slim until it wears out (unlikely) or I get sick of it. But thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Back