1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Need help deciding on a holster

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by raindog101, Jun 8, 2019.

1. raindog101

raindog101

Jan 22, 2007
    Got my very first 1911 the other day, I'm thinking it will likely make it into my carry rotation soon. I've been looking at IWB holsters for the last day or 2, and I'm leaning towards something by Comp-Tac (the Infidel, maybe) or G-Code (the Incog). I carry strong side, about 4 o clock. My current carry rig for my G19 is a first gen Crossbreed Super Tuck with the horsehide backer. I like it well enough, but I haven't bought an IWB holster in nearly 20 years, so I imagine the options nowadays are considerably better. So, gentlemen, educate me...

2. Phil Indablanc

Phil Indablanc Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Still can’t beat a Crossbreed in my opinion.

3. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2016
    I’m kinda old school, but I like Milt Sparks Summer Special type.
    [​IMG]

4. John F.

John F. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Heartily suggest you look at the Sparks Versa-Max 2 . They are renowned for being comfortable and concealing well. They also avoid the extra
    thickness caused by snaps being located over the holster body -- belt loops are to either side of the holster body. They are tuckable if you want,
    or can use with interchangeable leather loops to fit whichever belt you will be using. The quality is superb.

I used a Davis custom IWB copy of the Summer Special for about 25
    years with a 5" 1911 -- and competed with it in IPSC as it was my carry rig. I hated that holster, but thought it was just the nature of the universe
    that IWB carry of a 1911 was fated to be uncomfortable as heck. Heard about the Versa-Max, and got one -- took a nap with it on the first day it arrived!
    There was a black market on them for probably at least a year and a half, and VM2's were strictly rationed to purchasers, with banning by Sparks
    if they caught you flipping them on Ebay. They were selling for up to double retail at times. They've since caught up on production (although I
    haven't shopped for one in years, so...) Can't recommend these heavily enough!

Hope this helps,
    John

1AbominAble1 and GB940Rookie like this.
  5. raindog101

raindog101

Jan 22, 2007
    Thanks, rookie and John, for the Milt Sparks reminder. I have heard that he is the gold standard when it comes to 1911 leather holsters. I will look very seriously at the versa max. It's a bit of coin, but I never shied away from spending a little extra on a quallity product.

6. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I recommend you take a look at Andrew’s Custom Leather, MacDaniel II. Google it.

I have one for my commander slide 1911 and one for my Glock 19. They’re incredibly well built and make for excellent concealed carry. I will probably be ordering a third sometime later this year for my CZ.

GB940Rookie likes this.
  7. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Milt Sparks has some nice set ups ... Crossbreed isn't my cup of tea but I know alot that swear by them ...

I like my Kramer about as well as any IWB holsters I've tried ... I lean towards an OWB for my 1991 and use a Yaqui Slide.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    GB940Rookie likes this.
  8. raindog101

raindog101

Jan 22, 2007
    Thanks for the tip. I like that you can get one in monitor lizardo_O

9. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Hahaha. They can do fancy if you like! Mine are just the regular leather (I don’t remember if it’s cow hide or horse hide). I like that they are rough-out as it really does work as advertised for a firm carry.

For 1911’s sometimes they have stock on hand if you call them.

10. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Heck I'll toss my hat into the ring. I'm old school like my friend @GB940Rookie. But I prefer OWB in a pancake style holster:

[​IMG]

Untuck the shirt and the pistola goes away:

[​IMG]

If ya end up looking at OWB we can create something for ya uniquely yours and a belt too, to haul it around on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matching set for a fellow BF member:

[​IMG]

Belt and bowie sheath I did for @GB940Rookie, built the holster for myself at the same time (told ya I was old school, I even carry a revolver sometimes). They kinda looked like they all went together.

[​IMG]

We use em on the ranch all the time. We know they are rugged and secure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roughout slide:

[​IMG]

We do quite a bit of roughout work.

[​IMG]

Heck we wear em around the house too. The wife, doing some leather work, talking on the phone to a customer and wearing her EMP, while in the shop.

[​IMG]

The wife makes a simple and very popular IWB too, using the Ulticlip.

[​IMG]

If ya wear it with a belt, you don't even see the clip as this clip goes on the pants not the belt. You WILL NOT draw the holster with the gun with this clip like so many other IWBs.

[​IMG]

Anyhoo just some ideas for ya. Probably more edumacation than ya wanted.

Shappy, Bad Ninja, Mongo and 9 others like this.
  11. raindog101

raindog101

Jan 22, 2007
    Very nice. You do fine work, sir.

12. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thank you.

13. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I always enjoy your pictures Horsewright. Especially the action shots. I think it’s great you guys look dressed to the nines working cows.

benchwarmer380 likes this.
  14. Krav

Krav Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2013
    I carry IWB, I use several different holsters, my favorite is "tulster" holster. Small light, unabtrusive
    Or a "remora" sticky holster. The remora can be put anywhere on the body, doesn't have a belt clip.

15. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    We get dirty sometimes, ya just never know:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All seriousness the cowboy world is divided into two distinct camps that have been merging closer and closer all the time. Part of our tradition in the Californio style was fancier gear, silver bits and spurs, carved leather etc and dressier clothes. But honestly its just how we dress all the time.

[​IMG]

All handmade and engraved:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the wife's saddles:

[​IMG]

But we still use this stuff and use it hard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A "puncher's" gear is gonna tend to be plainer and he might dress more workman like. Heck even our hats our different. One way is not better than the other just different and these distinctions are getting merged more and more all the time.

Anyhoo what were we talking about? Oh yeah, holsters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All kinds of holsters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mabrowns, Shappy, Mongo and 5 others like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo

Nov 5, 2001
    My recommendation for IWB holster will be the Mike's special from www.ttgunleather.com
    I have one for my CCO, and it replaced/surplanted the Sparks VM-II that I had for it. Freaking incredible holster, and great guy to buy from to boot.

17. Brian Andrews

Brian Andrews

Dec 11, 2006
    No relation, just have the same last name :)

Andrews Leather makes the McDaniel II. I have carried a full size 1911 in one for many years. It is better than the day I bought it.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  18. mikal1911

mikal1911

Jul 7, 2019
    JM Custom Kydex. Leather softens over time, which can separate from Kydex/leather hybrids. Kydex remains rigid to ensure proper reholstering.

19. raindog101

raindog101

Jan 22, 2007
    That's who I ended up going with. I stumbled on his site about 2 months ago, and ordered the XC slim. Got it in the mail about 3 weeks ago, and have been wearing it ever since. I like it a lot, it makes carrying a full size steel gun manageable. Also, just as a place holder, I grabbed a 1791 OWB holster from Amazon. It was cheap, and there are some things I don't like about it, but it's comfortable and retention is good. Just in case anyone was on the fence about trying one.
    I don't know if my search is over. I'm intrigued by the Milt Sparks holsters, specifically the Criterion and the Summer Special II. Have heard nothing but great things about them, but the price and the wait have turned me off of them for now. I'll likely carry the XC slim until it wears out (unlikely) or I get sick of it. But thanks everyone for the suggestions!

20. Mongo

Mongo

Nov 5, 2001
    Great choice @raindog101 ! Just for the record, my TTgunleather sheath made me ditch my Milt Sparks VM-II.