need help identifying damascus

Hello,

I just came accross a pretty interesting kitchen knife on the internet. It is listed as made of VG10 damascus steel but judging by the photos I can't tell whether it's a true damascus (probably not etched) or just some weird/fake patterns on the blade.

If you can tell if it's a true damascus by the pictures that would help me greatly !

Thanks in advance and sorry if my english is approximative,

Jean -Samuel

well, here is the link to the website, I know it is far from being the most trustworthy but I really like the design of this particular knife ...

LINK DELETED

Last edited:
Not damascus. Look at the exposed part of the blade, no layers. As far as metals go, they lie 99% of the time on that site. Everything listed as D2 is CrMo variant.
I would advise you to go on Ebay and grab a cheap Pakistani damascus- I got an enormously heavy chef knife for $15 that's true damascus (though not stainless), and it's probably the best buy I ever got on a knife.
I loved damascus till I found this site. It's far inferior to any modern steel like 20CV or any powdered steel. Depending on what you want it for, it may not matter, but for looks alone it's a winner at holiday meals with the family and such.

also, please remove your link to ali, since it's not a bf supporting company

Not damascus. Look at the exposed part of the blade, no layers. As far as metals go, they lie 99% of the time on that site. Everything listed as D2 is CrMo variant.
I would advise you to go on Ebay and grab a cheap Pakistani damascus- I got an enormously heavy chef knife for $15 that's true damascus (though not stainless), and it's probably the best buy I ever got on a knife.
I loved damascus till I found this site. It's far inferior to any modern steel like 20CV or any powdered steel. Depending on what you want it for, it may not matter, but for looks alone it's a winner at holiday meals with the family and such.

Thank you so much,

i had noticed the lack of damascus pattern on the metal integrated part of the handle (in the continuity of the blade) and thought it might have just been partially etched, thus explaining the lack of visible pattern on this part of the knife.

I guess it is just some kind of pressure applied pattern on the blade.

I will look into damascus knives on ebay, thanks ;)

Back