Need help identifying this head

Joefairbanks

Gold Member
Platinum Member
I found this at Goodwill for $2.50 and just couldn’t leave it behind. It doesn’t have many markings on it, just a 3/4 and part of a sticker saying Forest King. I tried doing some research and it looks like a few manufacturers possibly used “Forest King”?
Any info you guys could give would be very helpful. I want to get the rust off, sharpen it and hang a new piece of hickory. I’d like to keep it as a “under the seat truck hatchet”. Thanks in advance!
View attachment 1467910 View attachment 1467909 View attachment 1467907 View attachment 1467906

I found this at Goodwill for $2.50 and just couldn’t leave it behind. It doesn’t have many markings on it, just a 3/4 and part of a sticker saying Forest King. I tried doing some research and it looks like a few manufacturers possibly used “Forest King”?
Any info you guys could give would be very helpful. I want to get the rust off, sharpen it and hang a new piece of hickory. I’d like to keep it as a “under the seat truck hatchet”. Thanks in advance!
View attachment 1467910 View attachment 1467909 View attachment 1467907 View attachment 1467906

Most likely (because of 1 3/4 stamp) it was made by Collins. Two other options: METCo and Council Tool
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...onstruction-axe.1305893/page-10#post-18690283

Last edited:
Thank you both for those links, very interesting information! Looks like I got my money’s worth anyways :)
I’m in the process of moving, but after I get settled and have time to find a handle and get it touched up- I’ll follow up with some pictures. I might even try my hand at making a leather sheath for it, Gransfors Bruks style. I’ve got a couple to go off of.

View attachment 1796656View attachment 1796657
Well, after moving-twice, I finally got around to mounting this head. I haven’t really used it yet, but I like the way it turned out! First time doing anything like this. It took me a while to find a piece that would come close to fitting the eye. I like the feel of it, and the way it came together. I’m a complete rookie at this, and I’m sure my choice of wood probably wouldn’t be the choice of some of you with experience. But I’m happy with it 😊

Nice Hudson Bay Pattern. How long a haft did you hang it on?

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. I did get a little bit impatient with the fitment, and was afraid to have it end up too short. Would it be a bad idea to take the existing shoulders down a bit to give it a cleaner look? I’ve only used it for kindling prep so far, so no hard use, but it’s still solid.
Thank you again for the feedback. A guy’s got to start somewhere, and we always learn from our mistakes, right?

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. I did get a little bit impatient with the fitment, and was afraid to have it end up too short. Would it be a bad idea to take the existing shoulders down a bit to give it a cleaner look? I’ve only used it for kindling prep so far, so no hard use, but it’s still solid.
Thank you again for the feedback. A guy’s got to start somewhere, and we always learn from our mistakes, right?
I wouldn't even say it's a mistake- if you look at how brand new Council axes come, they're pretty high off the shoulders, in general.

At this point you can do what you please- if the axe head is solid I might not mess with it. If it comes loose in the future and the haft is still good, you can shave down more, make the handle a little shorter and reuse the handle. Or you can sculpt the shoulders up closer to the head. As long as it's comfortable for how you use it, and it's not coming loose, I'd say you're good to go.

Right now it mainly resides under the back seat of my truck, as I’d originally planned. The size and shape seems to make it pretty versatile for use in emergencies, or just to have around the campsite. I’ll probably leave it alone for now, besides just using it or oiling it periodically. I’m into it for a total of about $35, plus hours. But I don’t want it to be abused or neglected.
Thanks again for the feedback. I’m looking forward to garage sale/barn sale season, to see if I can find another project!

Back