Need help shining up a stripper.

Nick Wheeler Custom knife maker made this youtube video for Hand Sanding blades. I think you will find some good
information and tips on cleaning up a blade finish. Pretty much fundamental for most makers doing hand rubbed finishes
hope it helps.......

I recently got some Scotchbrite belts for my sander and boy do I like them! I haven't tried to actually strip anything with them but I got a couple different colors and I used them to take some marks out of 1 I have stripped and I'm in love with the results! I used it on my TGA2 and as soon as I'm done and have the handles back on I'll show it off - but at the moment I think they're like magic! This one I'm going to darken up, probably with Black Magic but in raw state you'd think it was a satin blade that's how nice a job it does and it didn't create any heat at all - my only complaint? they aren't cheap.

I recently got some Scotchbrite belts for my sander and boy do I like them! I haven't tried to actually strip anything with them but I got a couple different colors and I used them to take some marks out of 1 I have stripped and I'm in love with the results! I used it on my TGA2 and as soon as I'm done and have the handles back on I'll show it off - but at the moment I think they're like magic! This one I'm going to darken up, probably with Black Magic but in raw state you'd think it was a satin blade that's how nice a job it does and it didn't create any heat at all - my only complaint? they aren't cheap.
Scotchbrite belts last forever so the price is worth it...I also use 800 grit cork belts that I load with Green Chrome buffing compound for a really fine Satin belt finish.

Scotchbrite belts last forever so the price is worth it...I also use 800 grit cork belts that I load with Green Chrome buffing compound for a really fine Satin belt finish.
Good to know they have good life! I know they are really thick and will probably "season" well with use. I use these on a modified wood sander (1X42)and I had to increase the clearance around the drive pulley because they wouldn't fit at first <-read angle grinder :D I also had to give them a little motivation to spin up and let them run for a half hour. I never knew they existed until I saw someone here mention them a while back and I thought maybe these would do something specifically I was looking for and sure as hell in my case, they worked like the magic I was looking for but certainly wasn't expecting them to work so well. In this case you are right Busto, worth every penny! And now I learn of cork? Hmmmmm :D

Good to know they have good life! I know they are really thick and will probably "season" well with use. I use these on a modified wood sander (1X42)and I had to increase the clearance around the drive pulley because they wouldn't fit at first <-read angle grinder :D I also had to give them a little motivation to spin up and let them run for a half hour. I never knew they existed until I saw someone here mention them a while back and I thought maybe these would do something specifically I was looking for and sure as hell in my case, they worked like the magic I was looking for but certainly wasn't expecting them to work so well. In this case you are right Busto, worth every penny! And now I learn of cork? Hmmmmm :D
I don't know if they have Cork Belts in 1X42....I have 2X72 grinders and I get them from TruGrit.
The Scotchbrite produce a nice even satin finish and they have enough flex to bend in and conform to the plunge for a smooth uniform finish.

Back