Need help w/ Cruiser & Adze with unknown markings

the-accumulator

Platinum Member
I picked these up yesterday and can't find anything out about the markings. The adze is as I received it. It appears cast, possibly with a steel bit . The Cruiser (Is it a cruiser, as I think, or a worn out double bit??) has a two line marking followed by something within a diamond. It is also marked "4" and "K" and W28" in three different locations. I photographed it after wire-brushing it in search of markings. The handle of the cruiser at one time had a rectangular label as evidenced by the remaining glue residue. How long of a handle should I put on a cruiser like this one?

Thanks for viewing my post and for any info you might have to share with me. T-A

The adze was made by Woodings Verona. The axe looks like a worn full size not a cruiser. Measure the eye, that will tell you.

The eye measures 2 1/2 by 7/8 inches. Does that answer my question? Thanks for giving me direction. T-A

With the remains of the handle, which is only about 1/3 there, the rest broken off, the axe weighs 3 lb 11 oz. That also suggests that it is a DB. Any idea as to the maker? Thanks for the input and the handle chart.

The adze head pattern is a railroad.
Online I found an old WV catalog that made me think it might be their railroad pattern. Do you have any idea if I'm right that the body of the adze was cast? Does it have a steel bit as well? Any idea how late the company was making Railroad adzes? I could not find any date attached to the catalog. Thanks for viewing my post giving me info. T-A

Regarding my DB with the illegible logo, I stumbled upon a very worn/abused single bit head while I was out "junking" today and found what I think is the identical logo, only a bit more legible. The top line ends with the letters "...ORTH" and the bottom line ends with "HAMMERED". The Diamond to the right of the lettering has a "W" within it. Anyone recognize that logo? I can't seem to find anything that might match in my searches. Thanks, T-A

Bingo! I knew someone would come to my rescue if I persisted. It was just luck that I stumbled on a similar but more readable logo in the course of my travels. A17, thanks for your quick reply. T-A

Back