Need info on Harry Morseth using A2

Larrin

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Looking for help with information on Harry Morseth using A2 early on in his knives for an article I'm writing on A2. I'm getting some conflicting information and I don't trust the Wikipedia article. I'm particularly interested in anyone who has the book The Keen Edge of Perfection: A History of the Morseth Knife. One source says he started making knives in the 20's (1925?) while the frequently copied Wiki article says 1936. Everyone seems to agree that he started with A2 "planer blades" and was at least using them by 1936. However, it was not known as A2 by then and I don't believe it had even reached its final current composition by that year, so I am curious how they knew they were A2. Any help would be appreciated.

I just bought "The Keen Edge of Perfection: A History of the Morseth Knife". I will let you know when the book arrives. It is due April 26 - May 13. I have always liked Morseth's knives and was not aware of this book.

I got the book in today. It is a very impressive book, well written with hundreds of photos. on Pg. 23 it states that in 1914 Harry started working for Walton Lumber Company in Washington State. The company used A-2 steel for it's planer blades and after a few re-sharpenings the planer blades would be discarded and Harry used them for knife blades.
When Harry made his first knife is hard to pin down, but the book states that in 1923 Harry made a hunting knife for his ten year old son Gordon.
In the early 1930's Harry started selling his knives.
I hope this information helps.

Back