Need input, keep it or let it go?

I purchased a Ti RIL Military a couple weeks ago. It's put together perfectly; centered blade, razor sharp, and has excellent lock-up. I have not owned another production knife that is this well out together. It should be a perfect knife for EDC.........

The problem is, I can't stop putting one of my old Enduras in my pocket. They are beat-up, scratched, old-school saber-ground, and have FRN handles. I have even contemplated selling the Military to get a couple of the new FFG Enduras (along with a serrated Salt of the same size).

I not putting down the Military, its an excellent knife. I guess I just like my Enduras better. The problem is, I feel like I "should" like the Military more. What do you all think?

Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
if you didn't need to sell a kidney to get it I'd say keep it. guaranteed you'll regret it eventually. enduras are here to stay, there will always be next year to get more of them.

I can't seem to warm up to the Spyderbenza either. I thought it was gonna be my grail knife and now it just sits. I've been carrying my Endura Wave. The Spyderbenza seems to defeat the whole Mil concept with all that extra weight. The run-up to this knife was like going to a spring training camp and having a conversation while spitting sunflower seeds and leaning on a fence. "Yep, this is OUR year" "We're goin' all the way." Then you hit the field and lose 14 out of your first 20 games. Yikes. Everything looked good "on paper". Then the heavy clunker hit the shelves and the weight was a deal breaker.

Mine is going on the trading block just as soon as I can get some pics snapped. Love the idea. Can't warm to the end product. Gravity is a bi#ch. Sal has the right idea when designing... Take stuff AWAY, don't add it. With the Spyderbenza, they need to take WEIGHT away. Drill some holes fellas!! :eek:

Cheers.

I know how it feels, been there myself. Despite my fairly decent collection of what I dare to say quality knives, I keep coming back to my trusty good old, used and abused SE FRN Delica... :thumbup:
But I enjoy owning the other knives as well... ;)

After twelve years of being in production, a Titanium handled Military finally comes out.
This isn't something that just pops up, I think you'd be crazy to sell the TiMilRIL.

I know how you feel about the Endura though. The SE ZDP-189 E4 is my favorite workhorse at the moment. If I'm going to go at a stack of cardboard boxes, that's the knife of the day. The combination of ZDP-189 and serrations makes for stellar edge holding, which makes me want to keep cutting with it.

I can't seem to warm up to the Spyderbenza either. I thought it was gonna be my grail knife and now it just sits. I've been carrying my Endura Wave. The Spyderbenza seems to defeat the whole Mil concept with all that extra weight. The run-up to this knife was like going to a spring training camp and having a conversation while spitting sunflower seeds and leaning on a fence. "Yep, this is OUR year" "We're goin' all the way." Then you hit the field and lose 14 out of your first 20 games. Yikes. Everything looked good "on paper". Then the heavy clunker hit the shelves and the weight was a deal breaker.

Mine is going on the trading block just as soon as I can get some pics snapped. Love the idea. Can't warm to the end product. Gravity is a bi#ch. Sal has the right idea when designing... Take stuff AWAY, don't add it. With the Spyderbenza, they need to take WEIGHT away. Drill some holes fellas!! :eek:

Cheers.

Harry pretty well sums up my take on the Ti Millie as well. I love the Millie concept and have a half dozen or so myself, but the moment that I saw the weight, I took a pass. I would sell that puppy and try to replace it with a Carbon Fiber BG-42 or S90V Millie.

I'd let it go if you aren't enamored with it. There are plenty of other Spyderco's that might suit you. Maybe the Sage2, FFG endura or a regular Military.

I feel that the Ti Mili is a contradiction of sorts. What struck me most about my Mili when I got it was the extraordinary light weight and ready-to-use function that it gave me. Adding weight seems to be the wrong way to take this design.

If you don't like it, let it go. Best it finds a good home with someone who will use and appreciate it.

I feel that the Ti Mili is a contradiction of sorts. What struck me most about my Mili when I got it was the extraordinary light weight and ready-to-use function that it gave me. Adding weight seems to be the wrong way to take this design.

If you don't like it, let it go. Best it finds a good home with someone who will use and appreciate it.

Yeah I agree if you don't like it trade it for something you probably will. :)
No sense keeping something you don't like because a lot of people on here
do. There are some that don't like them either. I love quite a number of
Spyderco's but don't care for the Para Military particularly. I have one
in D2 and it's going on the trading block soon.

I apologize in advance for offending a great many people, but I simply have to say:

I told you so.

:D

I will keep mine and treasure it because it was a gift from the Man himself, but I would not have bought one. I knew it would either feel like a boat anchor compared to the CF pieces or look like Swiss cheese. I was fully prepared to pass on it altogether.

Maybe someday I'll understand why people like titanium handles and exposed lockbars, but don't hold your breath.

I do not own one, but...I think it would have been a bit more manageable with a Ti liner covered with a G10 slab. Just my opinion as many people seem to love the high end knives with these materials in combination.

I apologize in advance for offending a great many people, but I simply have to say:

I told you so.

:D

I will keep mine and treasure it because it was a gift from the Man himself, but I would not have bought one. I knew it would either feel like a boat anchor compared to the CF pieces or look like Swiss cheese. I was fully prepared to pass on it altogether.

Maybe someday I'll understand why people like titanium handles and exposed lockbars, but don't hold your breath.

You know your World Famous "Mili Wheel" would not have been as cool without it too.:thumbup:

Theres nothing wrong in disliking a knife everybody else likes. We all have different taste. And the Endura is a pretty hard knife to compete with :D

Sell it, and buy something else you'd like and use.

Holy anvil iron batman. I just looked up the specs- 5.9 oz? I would have to tighten the belt to keep the pants from falling down.

Use it for a month then decide!
I edc'ed an Endura for a long time, but since I got my military I don't carry the Endura at all.
After carrying the military for a while, I picked up my Endura and it felt like a Delica! lol.
I love that big handle now! And I ant going back! ;)

I am thinking about milling out the inside of the handle slabs on a Ti Military (ala William Henry). Can anyone give me some advice and/or encouragement? My William Henry weighs 59gm, and my Ti military weighs 162 gm. The former has a blade length of 3 1/8", and the latter measures 3 7/8"

I thank everyone for the relies. I'm going to end up selling it and getting a few other Spyderco knives.

This is a standard problem, and I think you made the right decision. If the best knife in the world doesn't match what you like and need, it really isn't the best. Get what works for you and let someone else enjoy the Ti Military.

Back