Need J-frame grips

For better or worse I have a S&W 637. The recoil with +P ammunition is quite stout and very unpleasant with the standard factory grips. So I'm looking for advice on what commercially available grips, if any, can help make the recoil more tolerable.

I’ve had good luck with both Hogue and Pachmayr rubber grips. PAST shooting gloves are also very helpful in taming hard kickers.

I swapped grips with my S&W 640, .357 then I sold the .357. (since I already have a Ruger SP101) If you can get a set like these they help a lot.

14bs5n4.jpg

If you like rubber grips the full size ones Jill posted would be great. I swapped to G10 Vz grips on my J frames. I like the texturing and my hands are on the smaller side so they fit great.

Do you happen to like wooden grips?

If you like rubber grips the full size ones Jill posted would be great. I swapped to G10 Vz grips on my J frames. I like the texturing and my hands are on the smaller side so they fit great.

Do you happen to like wooden grips?

I love wooden grips. I put the old style wooden grips on my 637 for presentation purposes, but the recoil with the +P ammo was pretty horrible with them.

Were the wood ones not hand filling enough? Or does the wood not absorb the recoil enough for you?

I've got an extra set of wood grips from a M60 Pro that are just sitting in a drawer. I'll try and get a picture of them later.

Were the wood ones not hand filling enough? Or does the wood not absorb the recoil enough for you?

Well the wood grips are an interesting story. They don't cover as much as the factory grips so I can get all three fingers around the handle and really choke up on the gun, I can get my middle finger all the way up under the trigger guard, but the recoil was so stout I honestly didn't want to shoot anymore after just two shots with them on.

These are the wood grips I have. I put them on my 638.

I think the wood ones you have are similar to the ones on this model 63. Mine give about the same amount of finger purchase just a little lower on the frame and more hand filling.

I prefer the smaller grips with my pinky sitting underneath. Points more naturally for me.

If you're interested in the wood ones let me know. I'll send them your way.

Just my opinion... I've only shot a rented Airweight once with one box of +P on the range and disliked it more with every shot. Of course, they were stock grips. I've shot an older steel variation with wood grips and standard pressure ammo many years ago with no issues. IMO, most popular DA revolver grips designed/made in the 90's or later are better for fondling and gawking then for shooting. Also, IMO, many people place their hands too low on the grip and therefore get stung on the web of their hand.

My 66-8 2 3/4" stock grips hurt my hand just holding it in the showroom when gripping it like I was going to shoot it (high grip). I tossed on some old, fat, ugly Pachmayr Compact grips and can get through 200 rounds of 357 magnum (Remington, Hornady, Sig, Magtech, and Barnes) with a big smile on my face. You can find Pachmayr Compact grips for pretty cheap (NOT the Compact Professional or Diamond Pro) if you want to give them a try. Be aware, they usually have ugly seams and have a big hole on the bottom to see the serial# on the frame (IMO beneficial for releasing moisture). If you buy them, give them a try on the range before passing final judgement.

As a side note, the Pachmayr Presentation grips work out great for the Redhawk... just no style points.

pachmayr compac are fairly effective at dampening recoil on web, while still concealing well with iwb. they also make a compac 'pro' with smaller footprint that doesn't cover backstrap, but recoil is about on par with the stock grips.

Don't judge them by looks alone. They really work well and they conceal even better.

What he said, they look a little weird and take some getting used to but they're a substantial improvement in use as well as in concealment. Highly recommend them.

I really liked the rubber hogue grips on my 642. It was the one that flared down for the pinky so you could get a full grip.

F40D7977-9971-4980-99E3-182D90C92D7E.jpeg B963A3C1-851D-4047-9C76-B0331016E34A.jpeg I don’t know if you can see it, but these Crimson Trace 405 grips have a built in cushion at the top of the rear end.

I stay away from rubber, or any other "sticky" grips, on a concealed carry handgun. Just my opinion and practice and recommendation.

I'm just going to second the Crimson Trace grips, not to mention the laser has made a fan out of me. I was surprised at how much more comfortable they are.

3B9F7FBA-9FAE-45E9-9864-2A0D22DBD53D.jpeg 663F082D-9BA5-42DA-AA9D-DCF0A8E90B3E.jpeg
I stay away from rubber, or any other "sticky" grips, on a concealed carry handgun. Just my opinion and practice and recommendation.

Crimson Trace makes hard plastic (non sticky) grips, but they don’t offer any recoil absorption. They are better for lighter loads.

Back