Need Kitchen Knife Recommendation Confirmation

My wife is sick of having dull knives. They are an assortment of Henkel, Wustoff, not high end for sure. I spoke with a professional knife sharpener who handles most of the restaurants around here. He does not sell knives. He recommended Global, Shun and Cangshan. We have a Williams Sonoma outlet store here and he said you could find best deals on some of these knives there. The only knife set deeply discounted was Wustoff Craftsman, $500 to $300. Wife doesn't like Global so I think its Shun or Cangshan unless we think the Craftsman line is OK. I don't mind spending he money to get her about three good kitchen knives that will hold an edge. Be gentle. I'm new to this.

Kind regards and HNY,

Steve

Do not buy a Set, you end up with knives you won’t like, don’t need! No matter the BS the sales girl there will say that you save 20% with a set. Saving money buying knives you won’t use?? Yeah right!———————- ——Some of the knives you already have are usable. Take your wife to Sonoma and have her fondle a few , Global I recommend Way over Shun. Find two nice ones she likes. I suggest the Global Vegetable Chopper & the 8” Chef .. get the Paring & whatever else your wife likes of the old sharpened. She will have two top quality new ones ...

Do not buy a Set, you end up with knives you won’t like, don’t need! No matter the BS the sales girl there will say that you save 20% with a set. Saving money buying knives you won’t use?? Yeah right!———————- ——Some of the knives you already have are usable. Take your wife to Sonoma and have her fondle a few , Global I recommend Way over Shun. Find two nice ones she likes. I suggest the Global Vegetable Chopper & the 8” Chef .. get the Paring & whatever else your wife likes of the old sharpened. She will have two top quality new ones ...

Something going on with this forum! No way to tell if your message has posted. OK, thanks for your advice. One problem with the Global is she didn't like the look. Too modern. Don't ask me. I'm dealing with the CEO of this house when it comes to getting fed. Next recommendation with a traditional handle? I'm sorry.

Steve

Something going on with this forum! No way to tell if your message has posted. OK, thanks for your advice. One problem with the Global is she didn't like the look. Too modern. Don't ask me. I'm dealing with the CEO of this house when it comes to getting fed. Next recommendation with a traditional handle? I'm sorry.

Steve
But the Wusthof Classic or Classic Icon... those are the best of the German Traditionals..

I agree with Rhinoknives1 that you should just buy the knives you need. But, if it’s something you’re interested in, Macy’s has an exclusive J.A. Henckels Zwilling Twin Gourmet 15 piece knife set in an acacia block, made in Spain. I know you said she wasn’t impressed by Henckels, but if you were using the International line, I am satisfied with the Twin Gourmet line. The design is bland, but I think it’s a good set of knives if you also need steak knives.

I'm also against sets. Think about what you do with your knives and how you actually accomplish that. Focus on knives that fit your needs and get quality.
Among the Japanese knife crowd, Shun Classics have a reputation for iffy heat treatment. Their more expensive lines do not. Global does not have a good reputation for their steel. This is received wisdom, btw. It isn't an endorsement of Cangshan either. J-knife enthusiasts as a group sharpen their own knives, so there is good reason to listen. FWIT as a group they like Miyabi.
Be aware that no knife holds an edge forever - contact with bones and cutting boards dull that edge. Learning to sharpen isn't that hard.
If you do not abuse your knives, the thinner harder steels of Japanese knives are a good choice. If they take a beating, stick with German knives.
For the kind of money you are talking about, you can get a group of hand made Japanese knives that will outperform a Shun. The forums at chefknivestogoforums.com can help you narrow down the types of knives to choose.

Thank you so much, all. No, I do not want a knife set. I just happened to see the only thing on sale at the Williams-Sonoma outlet was the Wusthof Craftsman line. Way too many knives. I do have a Westhuff sharpening jig but it absolutely will not sharpen the Henkels we have. They are worthless to me. I have tried a traditional stone which I have used all my life for my hunting knives. (Randall). I must be doing something wrong here. I guess we just have cheap knives. Right now, it is a paring knife and one a little bigger for chicken, etc., chief's knife? I will look at the other site you recommended. Our knives do not take a beating. We never eat beef, nothing against it, just our preference. Chicken, fish and vegetables, plenty of the latter.

Hello S Steve Rutledge and welcome to Blade Forums. It's good you're reaching out for answers!

I do think you're asking the wrong question though. Instead of asking what knife you should get so they stay sharper longer, I think the question you should be asking is, how can I get and keep the knives I already have sharp?

Your Henkels and Wusthoff should sharpen readily and I would not chalk it up them being cheap knives. But you need the right tools and proper techniques. In fact, cheaper softer knives are generally easier to sharpen than harder steel knives. And as said, all of the knives will dull eventually.

You can send your knives out to a professional. There is no shame in that at all and as long as you don't mind the effort and mild expense, then it is vastly superior to dull knives. You can find folks on here such as REK Knives REK Knives that do professional sharpening or look around locally. If you go this route, I'd suggest having a backup knife to use when your primary is out.

Or you can decide to sharpen them yourself. Here, while there are many, many, many options, I'll offer two:

1) An 8"x3" Norton Crystolon Course Stone. Shipped in the US that will be around $30. Get a bottle of laxative-grade mineral oil (supermarket pharmacy aisle) and a red permanent marker for less than $10 combined. Oil is obviously for the stone and the marker is to mark your edge bevel. When you work the knife on the stone, your goal is to fully remove the marker. Do this on one side until you can feel a burr on the opposite side your working and then flip and repeat. Now get your self a smooth piece of 2"x2" or 2"x4" around 10-12" long. The big home improvement stores will cut them for you if need be. But you want a smooth section. This is your strop. Very lightly make edge trailing strokes on each side to remove any remaining burr. That's boiled down to some real basics and it will take some practice but what I just described will give you workable kitchen edges of you do your part.

2) Get a Work Sharp powered sharpener. It's basically a mini belt sander. Now, you need to be conscious of not going too slow as that can wallow out the blade and possible alter the heat treatment of the steel. And be mindful of the tip that you don't get all wiggly and round it off. But really, these machines are very easy to use. I've recommended them to a number of folks and have never had any be unhappy with the results. Here again I strongly recommend stropping for burr removal. You can actually use the backside of an old pants belt but I lean toward harder mediums for burr removal. Eventually, when one of the sanding belts wears out you can put it on inverted (backside out) and use it as a quick strop.

For the cutting tasks you describe, I actually find the Dexter Russell 7"x2" Chinese chef's knife (SKU S5197) fantastic and it sees a lot more use in my kitchen than many of my knives costing as much as 5x more! And you can just about get it sharp with a stern look. ;)

Also, wood cutting boards only please. :)

I would go shun... They are wonderful knives!

My wife picked the one piece Globals, with the newer handle style. She says necessities for here would be :serrated veggie knife, cook’s/chefs knife, paring (multiples) and the veggie knife. She uses pinch grip and like this handle style over the other Global style.
Hope that helps. Ps...she is an amazing cook!
1BE264E1-5565-493B-96ED-7B75B010365D.jpeg

There are a lot of YT videos teaching sharpening. If your Henckels or Wustof aren't the stamped steel ones they should take a screaming edge. They just won't be great at holding that edge. They will be good for practice.
There is a guy in the maintenance section that is offering to teach sharpening in person, if you live in the right area. If you ask people here (maintenance) or at chefknivestogoforums sharpening subforum people will answer all kinds of questions.

All, thanks for your warm welcome and kind responses. I recently joined these forums to read about Randall knives which I'm crazy about. I never sharpen them! You have given me good advice and I will take the time to learn how to correctly sharpen and also buy two or three higher-end knives. I knew nothing about Japanese knives and very little about the German ones. My eyes have been opened.

The folks here are always very willing to answer questions about all things pertaining to knives. Never hesitate to ask. :)

I went through a similar exercise when I only had a 14yo Zwilling 5Star set. Several knowledgable friends convinced me to get into sharpening by beating it into my head that all knives dull and need proper maintenance. Their message was consistent: good steel with a great edge will always outperform great steel with a worn edge.

I ended up buying a Hapstone R1 and learned how to sharpen my Zwillings, voluntarily sharpening many knives & sets for friends and family along the way for more experience. Have borrowed or own all the usual suspects now. My recommendation to anyone jumping from German to Japanese is try a Miyabi Mizu SG2 8" chef. I actually bought my mom one for Xmas as she finally wanted to make the jump to Japanese knives. The balance and PM steel is much better than Miyabi FC61, Shun blue, Shun VG10 and Global Chromova, which I like the least.

Also as others have mentioned, don't jump into a set but start with an 8" Japanese gyuto that will become your workhorse, with your Germans being your beaters. You will quickly find what you like/dislike e.g., Wa vs Western handle, very forward vs hybrid pinch grip, blade geometry. If edge maintenance isn't your cup of tea, your best option may even be get a 15-16° electric Chef's Choice sharpener and run the German knives thru it as needed.

Okay, so the basic difference between European (mostly German) and Japanese knives - hardness and weight.
Japanese knives are generally hardened more, 61 HRC or more (that's hardness on the Rockwell scale) while European knives are about 54-55 HRC. Older European knives had a hardness in the 40's. This is regardless of allow - Asians dating back to the Bronze Age have preferred harder blades.
The higher hardness allows for a thinner blade, steeper edge, and a better edge retention relative to edge angle. This comes at the cost of being more brittle - hence my question about how you treat your knives. If you hit bone, *thwack* your knife, or cut frozen food, that chip is YOUR fault.
So European knives historically been heavier, thicker, and have less edge retention. They can get screaming sharp and the softer metal make them more suitable for winter squash - an notorious gyuto killer - and other rough work.
In comparison a German 8" chef's knife is about 9 ounces. A 240mm (9.2") Japanese gyuto weighing 7 ounces would be considered a workhorse. You will be less fatigued and have more control. The thinner edge also means less wedging and cracking of crisp vegetables.

To define a term - the gyuto is the Japanese rendition of the French Chef's knife. There are other useful knives, but this made for the easier 1 to 1 comparison.
One advantage of gyutos that is not frequently stated is the variety of choice from profile to weights. This really lets you choose something more suitable to you. A few years ago 'lasers' were all the rage - very thin, very light blades that zipped through everything with little/no wedging. Of course the blade was more fragile, possibly flexy, and more prone to have food sticking. I like mid-weight blades, and of course there is the previously mentioned workhorses that are heavier.

I said 'historically' because now the influence has flowed back to Europe. Many of the new American and European bladesmiths make gyutos instead of traditional European chef's knives. And the Zwilling Diplome is a European gyuto developed with Le Cordon Bleu - a French Chef's school. So now you have a French version of the Japanese version of the French Chef's knife. European blades are hardened a little more than they used to be and sharpened more acutely in response to Japanese knives.

Back