1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Need long handled tongs.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by JTknives, Aug 7, 2019.

1. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    I am in search of tongs with long rains (handles). I burn through gloves really quick heat treating. I’m looking for maybe 24-36” rains. Does anyone know where I can find such a set. I could forge a set but not worth my time at this point. Right now I’m using 1/2” pipe as tong engenders or at least that’s the plan. The tongs need to close flat as thy need to pick up foil pouches. Thanks guys.

2. seanj

seanj

Mar 1, 2010
    There's a guy in Ogden Utah that advertises locally. Here is his ad. https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/52409394
    I don't know if he ships or not. He has a lot of different blacksmith stuff. I've never bought anything from him. Just listing as a possible resource

3. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    I’m driving down to Utah at the end of the month to pick up a hardness tester so that could work out good.

seanj likes this.
  4. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    try calling Pieh Tool in Camp Verde AZ

gloves I've been using -
    Tillman Welding Gloves - Aluminized Back Extreme Heat Gloves 820BHP

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  5. Drew Riley

Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007
    Why not just weld some longer handles on a shorter pair? Might need to make a minor adjustment or two, but it shouldn't be terribly difficult.

ten-six likes this.
  6. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    I've got a good friend who is semi-retiring as a full time blacksmith and may have a pair. I'm planning on heading to his shop on Monday. Want me to ask?
    (PS-he was also talking about possibly selling his 250# chamberberg....)

7. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Nick Dunham likes this.
  8. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Maybe this will work ................
    [​IMG]

9. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    I had also thought about welding handles into parallel jaw pliers.

10. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    We just weld on or draw out to whatever length needed.
    My favourite all round tongs for small work are Diamond ft15. Cheap, lightweight, easily modified...

11. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    If you think on pliers on my picture , it can be done .You need to cut several times where is that red line /where pliers cut/ . Close pliers ...cut between jaws ...repeat till you have good grip /extended handles/ with one hand and when they hold say 6 mm thick steel firmly...Well , I hope it is clear what I try to explain ...........