need some design input from y'all khukuri-nuts...

That's really neat and reminds me of the Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor Survival Knife but with far more attitude and without all the tacky junk in the handle. All survival knives need a saw 'just in case'. Anyway, I was taught at catering college to cut meat and saw bone. :) Well done!

Wow...you guys are great. I like the "bone saw" idea...and for notching as well. :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words, too. This knife has been an exercise in patience and thinking-ahead. I planned it out based on the tools I have, and experience with them. That way, I'm not attempting anything outside the realm of the possible - though filing in the sawback by hand certainly was quite difficult. It's probably not the "most perfect" rendition possible, but it's the best I can do with what I have.

Svashtar - the first few prototypes are out of 1080 steel. High carbon, but tough. The rest are being made of 5160, of course....:D :p

Somebody asked about an anomaly near the finger ring...

anamoly.jpg

Wouldn't be a Kukri without it, right? :D :p

The more I look at it the more awesome it becomes. I think the saw looks great. I can't imagine hand filing that thing. Dang. The handle is mikarta? That stuff is growing on me. Used to really dislike it, but now I can see its got a beauty. Still prefer natural materials, but on this knife its perfect. Did you make it yourself?

Andy - G10 is a synthetic, but not a micarta. It is made in layers, but not with the resin. I'm sure somebody has more technical information on how it's made...but I am using it for 2 reasons: 1 - it is impervious to moisture/temperature changes. 2 - when sandblasted it is very grippy! and has a nice finish to it.

what would be a good companion for this knife?

A nessmuk with a hard spine for flint striking?

A guthook?

Whatever it is, it's going to be in the "karda style"...but other than that, I'm open to suggestions.

I'd love to get a Koster Nessmuk. I could do without the guthook. Never liked em. Thanks for the explanation of the handle material Dan. Getting amped about BS.

Never liked guthooks either. A Puukko or Leuku would be great. Nessmuk would be nice too. Looks to be a great product Dan. Congrats!
Terry

Ok, how about these?

attachment.php

Overall length = 7"

Just seems rather plain to me...at least, compared to the WSK design. :rolleyes:

Am I missing anybody else's suggestions? guess I'll go back and read the previous pages of posts...

Attachments

• kardacomp1.gif
    kardacomp1.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 178
While I love Nessmuks, I think it would duplicate some of the roles of the bigger knife ... no need for the little knife to be able to handle baton work, for instance. I'd start by asking what knife tasks that the big one wouldn't do too well ...

Cleaning fish/birds. Whittling. Boring holes. So you'd need something pretty narrow bladed, with a decent point, and quite thin. I'd only go about 3 1/2-4" blade. I'm thinking something shaped like an Opinel (though thicker), or a slim Pukko ... maybe tempered to have a hint of springiness to the blade, to help in fileting fish.

I updated my post to show overall length. The blade is 3 inches, handle is 4 inches.

I would make it from 5/32" thick barstock. Probably not thin enough to properly fillet with, but would work - will be hollow-ground.

2C and 3A, stand-alone knives...called "Spectre.":thumbup:

I don't know the marketplace, so I can only judge by utility to my needs.

I imagine there are "Tracker" knife groupies, and you may be aiming this at their appetites.

But, I recently bought the BruiseLeee Knife Training Video (r). I have been attempting the "advanced session: taking a branch and making it a stick."

Tough going for the likes of me, but the draw-knife portion of the design would not have been used at all during the first 15 hours of my work on the branch.

I used the 12in AK more than any other so far on a hickory branch, debarking, thinning, and smoothing. I didn't miss any finger holes during the work. In fact, I wanted my fingers free to let go the moment I thought something was slipping the wrong way.

The more a knife attempts to do many things, the less able it usually is to do any one thing well.

Hope it works to your advantage, Dan.

Daniel Koster said:
I updated my post to show overall length. The blade is 3 inches, handle is 4 inches.

I would make it from 5/32" thick barstock. Probably not thin enough to properly fillet with, but would work - will be hollow-ground.
Just saw your pictures ... lovely stuff; I'd want one by itself though, not as a companion. For a companion knife, I'd be inclined to make it narrower by perhaps up to 1/3, to draw out the point a bit sharper. And MAYBE slightly straighten the drop point ... though that much tip-droop is really pretty. I like the handle you've designed a lot. If you think you need something fancier, you could maybe morph in a bit of the effect in some of the old French trade knives ... add a bit of belly to the underside of the handle, and incise a line near the butt to give the impression of a carved ball at the butt.

Different styles for different tastes, beauty being in the eye of the beholder. Myself, I like sweet simplicity. Ran across this one outta Sheffield, England the other day, and was immediately smitten. In the process of "plagiarizing" one from a file right now. I'll even gin up the accompanying marlin spike out of a large round file, and leave it hard enough to be a sweet chakma.;)

mastermariner.jpg

Sarge

Thinking some more about the sawback. You'd want to keep the tempering of the back of the blade soft enough that the teeth could be re-sharpened with a standard triangular handsaw file. I can't recall how hard the old handtool companies like Disston used to make their saws - but it takes only a couple of strokes with a file to sharpen the teeth when things have gone south. Less likely to break a sawtooth too, if it catches on an embedded nail etc.

That would make life easier for differentially hardening the blade too, I'd think.

t.

Dan,
The idea of a Nessbuck companion is a good idea...

However, you could offer 2 different companions instead of settling on one..

A normal nessbuck with the standard "nessy" bladeprofile

AND a Nessbuck with a guthook...Maybe have the end flared slightly less than normal to give the guthook some room

Feeling me??

Daniel Koster said:
I need a couple volunteers to test it out. :D

I am a soldier living in AZ. I'd love to put that beast through its paces, maybe even make sure it gets sent with our next soldier going to Iraq.

As for experience testing knives... I've carried a Kbar since I was 9. When That got too small for me I carried a no name 12" Bowie. Now I have a 16" KH AK. :D

PICK ME PICK ME!!

I will also post a review at www.ar15.com the #1 gun site on the net.

Back