need some design input from y'all khukuri-nuts...

This thread is getting kinda long...so I'm going to post the sheath pic in its own thread. I'll still update this thread as I make changes/upgrades/etc to the design. Thanks for lookin!

I'm very happy to see that the film THE HUNTED inspired this thread's subject. I was one of the knife technical advisors for the film.

We were given the tracker knife to work with before the filming got underway, so we had no choice on preferred blade.

On the new design - My suggestion would be to lose the finger hole.
A knife that could possibly be used against a powerful animal or something that moves will cause severe injury to that finger.

--Rafael--
Sayoc Kali

Thanks for the input, Rafael. :thumbup:

I made the handle long enough for a full grip behind the ring. The ring is only for close-up detail work. Otherwise, it acts just like a guard.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• grip1.jpg
    grip1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 27
  • grip2.jpg
    grip2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 23
  • grip3.jpg
    grip3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 32
Rafael...I have handled the koster WSK and I can attest to it's handling abilities...There is plenty of room on the handle for normal use without using the fingerhole...And if you decide to twirl it using the fingerhole, you WILL tend to nick you hand a bit...Ahh dont ask how I know this!

BTW...what style was the basis for "The Hunted"'s fighting scenes??<~~curious

I can see a lot of good work & thought went into it.

I dont think its to my taste, but I reckon if marketed it will sell well.

Reminds me of some of those Russian multi purpose axe/knife tools , but very original in design.

I am sure its usefull.

Spiral

Rafael...I have handled the koster WSK and I can attest to it's handling abilities...There is plenty of room on the handle for normal use without using the fingerhole...And if you decide to twirl it using the fingerhole, you WILL tend to nick you hand a bit...

Suggestion: why not radius the finger holes to remove the sharp edges?

n2s

Suggestion: why not radius the finger holes to remove the sharp edges?

n2s

they are - quite smoothly.

what you'll regret is the knife edge coming back around. you can dull that though, makes the wound that much more nasty!

in normal use, "as a knife", the finger holes aren't used even. they're mostly there for the draw knife function, which might be significant depending on the woods nature of the user, and assist with safety and holding. the holes are very comfy.

bladite

not2sharp,
The finger hole is radiused just fine...it is the rest of the knife that is flying around that ya gotta worry about!!..lol

Thanks, guys!

The finger holes are also a place to lash the knife to a stick to make it a spear/axe/etc.

Thanks for the comments guys! :thumbup:

I had some time today to do a kydex combo sheath and here are the results. Let me know what you think!

attachment.php

With the help of the "KydExpert" Tom Krein...I figured out a way to set it up so that each sheath can stand on its own as well as be tethered together.

The larger sheath has the proper rivets for horizontal and vertical carry - as well as canted (two different angles - steepest shown in pic).

The smaller sheath is set up to use the In-The-Waistband TekLok on the top, or regular size on the bottom (for horizontal or vertical carry).

When tethered together, the whole package is only 1" thick (from front to back including handles) and weighs 29 ounces - including the TekLok.

Anybody have the overall sheathed weight for a 15" BAS for comparison?

It was tricky at first trying to get the top sheath mounted in a way that would allow it to be drawn on its own - but now it's solved.

going to have to put this kompanion rig on my todo list... seeing as how i've got a matching g10 wsk with the new sheath :)

bladite

Back