Need some gift advice... Pearl handle for 30th anniversary

I am looking to purchase a knife for my husband for our upcoming 30th anniversary - the pearl anniversary. Hence I am looking for a knife for him with some pearl or at least abalone in the handle. I am a novice but have been trying to research quality knives. I’d like to spend $100-250 range... I was thinking a folding knife. He’s not a knife guy, more a tool guy, but he appreciates quality workmanship and is a fan of Damascus style knives.... Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

The knife I’d love to buy but is outside my budget - a Boker Damast Scout pearl $565... Bokers are my favourite, from my recent research, but I haven’t seen one in my range - they’re either $500 or they’re $30-50. There don’t seem to be any in the middle range with pearl in the handle.

I missed buying a 1980’s Vintage American Blade Parker Seki Japan Pearl Abalone Sowbelly Folding Knife at around $100. It was in nice shape and was very nicely designed. I read the 80’s Parker’s from Japan were good.

Alternatives I’m looking at but I’m so green I don’t know what is a decent choice;

- 2000 WINCHESTER ABALONE 5 BLADE SOWBELLY STOCKMAN USA PEARL KNIFE $200

- 1991 WINCHESTER USA GUNSTOCK Knife 2851P MOTHER OF PEARL on auction, not sure what it will go for...

- Sana Cutlery folding Damascus knife on Etsy. Says it American made but I’m not at all familiar with this brand and can't find much information. $200 range

- Sante Fe Stoneworks folding knives on Etsy. Made us USA, seem to be well reviewed and have a variety of designs. $150-250 range.

- I’ve also explored some Case XX knives (do they make The Winchester’s?).

- Then there’s one that just lists as Damascus Genuine Pearl Classic Pocket Knife, manufactures by BK? $90. Its at a large online retailer that looks reputable.

As you can see I got confused fast so I thought I should take my questions to the experts... thanks in advance for any assistance!

Here are some pics of what I've been looking at...

WORKING.jpg

Hi there, what a great gift idea! I can't recommend dealers here, but Case makes several models in pearl, some with engraving on the bolsters. One of those would be my recommendation. Maybe a trapper model. They run around 80-100 and are made in pennsylvania. They do not have damascus blades but if he is going to use it for work, a damascus blade will add unnecessary cost without added function. I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your search!

Welcome and congrats on the anniversary.

Case makes some beautiful knives in abalone. I'm very partial to the Mini Copperlock model in general and believe it to be one of the top knife designs. It is currently available in abalone. There's a few other models as well.

I also think the Spydero Dragonfly 2 is a fantastic model and it can be found with Mother of Pearl inlays:
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP...jewelry-collection-gold-mother-of-pearl-onlay

So Case seems to be the almost total consensus :) I see a few Wild Horse Custom models in about the $300 range... worth stretching for?

I did also really like the Spyderco Dragonfly...

None of the damascus items look like they'd be any good? I know its more of an aesthetic thing...

Thanks so much for the advice! It is greatly appreciated.

So Case seems to be the almost total consensus :) I see a few Wild Horse Custom models in about the $300 range... worth stretching for?

I did also really like the Spyderco Dragonfly...

None of the damascus items look like they'd be any good? I know its more of an aesthetic thing...

Thanks so much for the advice! It is greatly appreciated.

Ron's suggestion of the Moki is also excellent if you like the looks of it. Excellent quality knife.

Here's a link: https://www.collectorknives.net/sho...pearl-and-abalone-handles-vg10-steel-mk810el/

You could also buy a pocket slip from the same site. Classy.

I have fallen down the rabbit hole and been searching blades all night... Now I have discovered Lone Wolf blades. So many beautiful choices... how do you guys ever choose? :)

I think Case currently has some in production with genuine Abalone covers.
I'm not aware of any other domestic or North American (to include our Canadian friends)cutlery company that does, although Bear and Sons might.

A Lion Steel slipjoint might be an option, if you can find someone to make a set of covers/scales for you. Lion Steel uses Torx bolts/screws to secure the covers/scales. The companies that sell cover materials have real (and synthetic/Acrylic) pearls and Abalone.
Be aware a Lion Steel and custom covers will probably be at, to slightly above your stated budget.

If you don't care about Country of Origin, Rough Ryder has a couple different patterns with genuine Black Lip Pearl covers, at way under your budget, as in sub $25. (Rough Ryder are descent knives. Check out the "Rough Rider and Related Slipjoints" thread over in the Traditionals sub-forum.)

Last edited:
If you are shopping on ebay, search for Buck 507. They are no longer made, but there have always been some there whenever I have searched, and in your price range. They are a small lock back with MOP scales. They usually come with the original presentation case.

O.B.

I have fallen down the rabbit hole and been searching blades all night... Now I have discovered Lone Wolf blades. So many beautiful choices... how do you guys ever choose? :)

We just spend way too much so we don't have to. :)

For what it's worth, the Dragonfly would be the one I recommend. VG10 is a fine steel, the knife is small but feels great, opens with one hand, pocket clip, and really unique. The snap when opening a Spyderco lockback knife is extremely satisfying. If he's a tool guy, I really think he'd appreciate this one. That said, I have no experience with this upgraded model, just the standard offerings.

Thanks so much for all the input. I think I am going to stretch the budget a bit higher and go for the Spyderco Dragonfly recommended or one of the Lone Wolf Paul knives I have seen. I also have one Case muskrat Wild Horse Custom I am watching that I may offer on. All your advice and input is greatly appreciated and will hopefully result in a present my husband will love.

Thanks so much for all the input. I think I am going to stretch the budget a bit higher and go for the Spyderco Dragonfly recommended or one of the Lone Wolf Paul knives I have seen. I also have one Case muskrat Wild Horse Custom I am watching that I may offer on. All your advice and input is greatly appreciated and will hopefully result in a present my husband will love.

Best of luck. If you're so inclined, come back and let us know how it turns out. I'm sure he'll love whatever you choose. :)

I'll add my recommendation for Moki. Outstanding quality, significantly better than any of the other brands mentioned so far in this thread. Here are two that I can link directly because Knifecenter is a paying supporter of bladeforums; also look for a pearl handled Moki Glory, which Knifecenter does not currently carry and costs less. Note that all of these Moki knives are small lockbacks that would normally be considered "gentleman's knives". I would be thrilled if my wife were to buy me a Moki for an anniversary gift.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/MO...e-MOP-Abalone-Handle-and-252-inch-Plain-Blade
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/MO...th-White-and-Black-MOP-Handle-w-25-inch-Plain

I have been eyeing those two as well as a pearl Glory for a while. I will eventually get at least one of them.

ETA - Whatever you end up getting, make sure you come back and tell us what it is and what his reaction was. We all like a happy ending.

Last edited:
Back