Need some gift advice... Pearl handle for 30th anniversary

Hi N Netingirl . Just a FYI, since you're new to the knife world I would be cautious of anything not from a name brand. There can be a lot of things out there that look nice but do not perform well. In no way is that to say there isn't good custom stuff out there as there obviously is there's just a lot of stuff that isn't good as well.

Last edited:
First, let me say that for current production knives you would do best to look at Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) over anything Case puts out. I have been very disappointed in Case quality for several years now.

The Winchester knives you mention in the OP are excellent knives. Extremely well made. But the Black Box Winchesters are the only Winchesters I would recommend. I can't recommend Santa Fe Stone Works either.

AG Russell or Moki would be good choices. And I see Chucko has made you an offer. You should consider that, as he's selling his fathers collection and he was a notable collector.

If you're looking at out of production knives I will also recommend Fight'n Rooster, which were made in Germany in the 1970-80's. They are very well built and have true MOP, unlike most of the modern knives which feature mostly acrylic over a thin layer of pearl. If you look at one of those, go for the "Captains Rooster" which were the best quality.
2iwA62F.jpg

I am looking to purchase a knife for my husband for our upcoming 30th anniversary - the pearl anniversary. Hence I am looking for a knife for him with some pearl or at least abalone in the handle. I am a novice but have been trying to research quality knives. I’d like to spend $100-250 range... I was thinking a folding knife. He’s not a knife guy, more a tool guy, but he appreciates quality workmanship and is a fan of Damascus style knives.... Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

The knife I’d love to buy but is outside my budget - a Boker Damast Scout pearl $565... Bokers are my favourite, from my recent research, but I haven’t seen one in my range - they’re either $500 or they’re $30-50. There don’t seem to be any in the middle range with pearl in the handle.

I missed buying a 1980’s Vintage American Blade Parker Seki Japan Pearl Abalone Sowbelly Folding Knife at around $100. It was in nice shape and was very nicely designed. I read the 80’s Parker’s from Japan were good.

Alternatives I’m looking at but I’m so green I don’t know what is a decent choice;

- 2000 WINCHESTER ABALONE 5 BLADE SOWBELLY STOCKMAN USA PEARL KNIFE $200

- 1991 WINCHESTER USA GUNSTOCK Knife 2851P MOTHER OF PEARL on auction, not sure what it will go for...

- Sana Cutlery folding Damascus knife on Etsy. Says it American made but I’m not at all familiar with this brand and can't find much information. $200 range

- Sante Fe Stoneworks folding knives on Etsy. Made us USA, seem to be well reviewed and have a variety of designs. $150-250 range.

- I’ve also explored some Case XX knives (do they make The Winchester’s?).

- Then there’s one that just lists as Damascus Genuine Pearl Classic Pocket Knife, manufactures by BK? $90. Its at a large online retailer that looks reputable.

As you can see I got confused fast so I thought I should take my questions to the experts... thanks in advance for any assistance!

Here are some pics of what I've been looking at...

WORKING.jpg

All this talk about pearl was too much. This would be very high on my recommendation list - Moki Glory.
XcsmBB1.jpg

Back