Need some help with blade

Hello,
I have started to work rather large S-1 steel blade. I have the shape, some basic flats ground, though there is some shaping work and grinding too. I have made smaller blades in past, but I dont have belt grinder and this is over me. Also I only make knives as hobby and my woodworking workshop isnt equipped for this.
I m looking for experienced maker who could grind for me rest and heat treat it as performance blade.Beware it is long blade 20" of edge and 7" for the handle area.
I m prepared to pay for the work - off course, or offer some nice wood and things. Shipping there and back is on me naturally.

Could anybody help me?

Jaro

(Sorry for double post. I didnt realised first, it would be better to post this in knife maker specific thread. Sorry again.)

if you have a bench grinder and a belt sander or a disk sander you can shape the blade yourself. Use some junk wood to practice on. I use 80-120 grit belts/disks to shape with. As far as heat treating it you can send that off to Paul Bos, Peters heat treating, or a few others that offer that service. S1 isnt really a common steel we play with here, so there may not be a lot of input from members.

Jason

I just wrote I dont have belt sander. The blade is shaped, there is basic grind (done actually on the industrial mil), but I dont trust myself to do good surfaces /grind on blade which shal be slightly convex or flat ground and its 20" long.
In need I have heat treating service here, but I m looking for somebody who is capable to grind it. Also the blade is quite thick next to tang, but it shall be tapered towards tip.

J.

Back