Need some Khuks Sharpened.

Looking for suggestions for someone to send some Khuks to. I have one of mine, plus two more that belong to friends that I would like to have sharpened by someone skilled with the convex grind.
Any suggestions?

I used to go to a sharpening service (and indeed, posts by me about it can be found in the archives), but ultimately found it unnecessary. Although doing it oneself, with a mousepad & sandpaper (or something similar) is tedious, it actually gets better results if done right.

The trick is sharpening the recurve, which has a concave grind. This, I'm finding, is best done separately, by sandpaper wrapped over a large eraser, or a similar set-up.

I realize that this isn't the answer you wanted, but it's what my own experience has borne out.

falnovice, might help if you provide the area you live in somebody may be close by that will do it for you or show you how to do it. Honestly shipping will probably cost more than the sharpening.

It's not too hard to do yourself. There's a section in the faq. I use a belt grinder and it just takes a few seconds.

There are a couple of reasons for few answers. One is that is is a hassle for someone to go through all the shipping and risk of an unsatisfied or displeased customer for just a few dollars. Another reason is that Bladeforums has some rules about hawking businesses on the forums, and most of us try to steer clear from violating them. I don't know just what those guidelines are but I'll find out and get back to this thread.

AFAIK, it is ok to ask for this question and also ok for people to give recommendations, BUT the rest of the transaction must take place by PM or Email.

I've moved this off the showroom floor to the Cantina, as it is not specifically H.I. related.

With that being said, you might want to try richard j.
He is a heckuva guy and a heckuva sharpener. If anyone can do it, he can.

Last edited:
Back